• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Ranger Should I Get

D-BOI

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i am not yet a ford ranger owner but i am looking for one asap. I want to use it for towing a little 19 foot boat. I was wondering if any of you guys out here had any advice on if the 2wd would get it out of the launch or if only a 4wd would work for towing a boat. Thank you in advance guys. Also is there a certain year you guys would recommend and anything i need to look for ??

Thanx again

http://www.cardomain.com/id/D-BOI

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
never towed a boat so i dont know what to tell you on that. but if i were to get another ranger i be in like older 90's era. only cuz of the ride is better my sis had a 91 and it was rough but my 94 isn't bad.

then i would get the fx4 and tow package, and you can get an fx2 which is the same just 2wd.

i wish my ranger now had a tow package on it, cuz i pull a 10 ft (i think or an 8 ft) trailer with it. on the bumper, but i dont recomend doing that

reggioisme

June 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i can tow a 16ft with the 2.3l 5 speed but with a 19ft i would just say get anything with a 4.0 really wouldnt matter 2wd or 4x4 unless you go to some pretty terrible boat launchs

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i am not yet a ford ranger owner but i am looking for one asap. I want to use it for towing a little 19 foot boat. I was wondering if any of you guys out here had any advice on if the 2wd would get it out of the launch or if only a 4wd would work for towing a boat. Thank you in advance guys. Also is there a certain year you guys would recommend and anything i need to look for ??

Thanx again

http://www.cardomain.com/id/D-BOI
Do you want an auto or manual? If you are purchasing an auto, look for a 95' or up. Pre 95' Rangers used the dreaded A4LD tranny, which doesn't have the best reputation. If you are going to stick with 2WD, you might want to consider locating a truck with a limited slip rear axle to help with traction on the boat launch. Also, a higher gear ratio will help with towing too; stick with atleast a 3.71 or 4.10. To determine the gear ratio, and whether it is an open or limited slip diffrential, check the safety standard certification code located on the left driver's side door post. A code will appear under the "axle" column. Match that code against the list located in our tech library. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Last edited:

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
I regularly tow a 17 foot car hauler with my mud bog truck on it, I have a 99 model with a 3.0 automatic tranny and 4.10 gears and I think it does pretty good

D-BOI

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i do want to get a 2wd because they are cheaper to buy cheaper to maintain and cheaper to fuel. so the limited slip is better or worse for wen getting out of the launch?

88rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The limited slip is definately better.

rangermuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Something that has a 4.0 either the OHV or the SOHC is what I would go with. Where I am at 4x4 is a must but it depends on what all you want to do with the truck.

IMO for sure get the ex cab esp if your goin to the lake just makes life a little easier with the room to carry stuff. I reg. tow a 18ft jet boat with my 02 4.0L SOHC and have never had any issues at all

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would get a 4wd on the principal of it. but definitely a 4wd for towing a boat. it is rather embarrassing when you need to get help to pull your pick up and boat up the ramp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals