• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

which one is better>?

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
is there any differences at all and which is better
Xr4Ti 2.3L Engine.
Ford Turbocoupe 2.3L Engine.

i think im just going to buy 1 or the other. is there any differences... if so which one is better for higher boost applications... any differences in the heads? wut was the stock boost on these engines>?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They are both the same engines!!

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The engine itself is the same as far as I know, but the Merkurs were never intercooled and only put out around 175HP and came with a Garret T3 turbo. The '87 and '88 Turbocoupes came intercooled and put out somewhere around 200HP but came with the smaller, quicker spooling IHI turbo.

I have a complete '87 Turbo Coupe donor car and a Merkur X4Ti engine without the turbo and they are exactly the same. I had planned to use the Merkur engine as a spare of sorts, but this stupid turbo addiction made me pick up another LA3 module, VAM sensor and wiring so I can put that engine into my '87 regular cab.

I seriously don't know how some of you guys can keep yourselves out of jail with these boosted vehicles. I haven't even begun the engine swap yet, but I find myself taking this donor TC out for a good shit kicking a couple of times a week. You know, just to make sure the fluids are circulating and most certainly not that hooliganism stuff.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blocks and heads are pretty much the same. They both were basically the same thru 1986.

The turbo coupe were intercooled for 1987/88 with the IHI turbo. 195hp for the manual trans. Merks were always rated at 170.

The most agressive turbo 2.3's were the Mustang SVO. 205 hp.

They both used Garrett turbo up until that time. The t-coupes turbo's were oil cooled only. Merks were water cooled.:)shady

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
wuts the differences between Engines between TC's and xr4's compared to the SVO's.... SVO's have any engine differences or still just small things diff?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
wuts the differences between Engines between TC's and xr4's compared to the SVO's.... SVO's have any engine differences or still just small things diff?
Everything on the inside is the same... It's what's on the outside that's different...

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
ok cool. so it wont matter which engine i get. well im just getting the block and using my head and turbo. i wanna stick with the afterburner plugs and my afterburner ignition so im using my head. so to help me decide im just going to get inside each car and check the odometer to see which one has more miles and take the engine with least miles. its getting rebuilt anyway but less chance of broken major parts.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Find one that's wrecked and buy it... If it's not wrecked, it could be in the junkyard for a serious failure... If it's wrecked you usually know it was running when it went in...

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well the TC was hit in the rear but the Xr4Ti is just seriouslt rotted out.... maybe do wut my dad said when he was there and lean more toward to TC?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would, if it's getting rebuilt it really doesn't matter how many miles are on it... That Merkur could be rotted out because it threw a rod and they were going to fix it, it sat in their yard for several years before they decided just toget rid of it... I don't know, but I'd go for the wreck...

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea thats wut my dad said. get the TC engine because its been hit in the rear. yea i think im going to get the TC engine. and just rebuild it anyway. i have all summer. lol. im going to try to get a 2.5L crank though somehow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals