• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Hardtop Canopy?

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
no, fiberglass is what they have been made from for years with no issues.
Agreed with this. What advantage ABS might have over fiberglass eludes me.

Before fiberglass became common, aluminum was normal for shells/canopies. Those did not age well in the weather and any salt exposure during winter.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Mart123blue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
UK Wildtrak
Thanks! We're looking forward to seeing it. Will it have the hardtop canopy on it?
No after all this times it's on back order. The dealer didn't want it sitting round in his stores... Canopy will be fitted in August.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The gray/grey color looks great on your Ranger! Nice pickup! Yours looks better than the current Ranger models, and we're supposed to get the same body as yours for 2024.

My 2011 is a darker shade of metallic gray that was common on American Ford trucks then. Silver was also available, but is far less common. The color on yours splits the difference between the two.

Interesting to see the tow package. I've wondered about the differences in towing light trailers between Europe and here. A 2" ball (51 mm) is most common here, but 1-7/8" (48 mm) is also in use for the lightest trailers. Here the balls themselves interchange, as they have a threaded stud that goes into a horizontal hole in the carrier. Your ball appears to be made as part of an assembly that attaches to the vertical plate just behind the rear bumper.

Looks like a beautiful day over there.

Mart123blue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
UK Wildtrak
Cheers bud, really happy with my truck. Couple of extra pics. You are right about the weather it is very unenglish and sunny at the moment. The tow bar was an option that was already specced by the dealer. I think it is technology pack 52. Anyway very happy with colour, let my son choose in the end because I liked them all. Cheers M

Attachments

Mart123blue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
UK Wildtrak
Ok canopy finally due to be fitted next week. Truck has now done 1500 miles and I was thinking about getting oil and filter changed. Is this still a thing, or am I stuck in 1985?

Cheers M

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok canopy finally due to be fitted next week. Truck has now done 1500 miles and I was thinking about getting oil and filter changed. Is this still a thing, or am I stuck in 1985?

Cheers M
It won’t hurt anything. I don’t know if Ford uses a break in oil for their engines so I can’t say if it makes a difference. I don’t remember it looking any different.

One thing I will say is to not do 10,000 mile oil changes. Some of the Ecoboost engines have had worse coking issues on the valves beyond what is seen on those that get the oil changed more regularly. Plus, the oil is used to lubricate and cool the turbo and those things get real hot.

Depending on how much you drive, you might want to consider biannual oil changes, like every Spring and Fall. If you drive a lot of miles, maybe a 5,000 mile oil change. I wouldn’t go more than 7,500 miles like what is recommended on many older, naturally aspirated engines.

And don’t forget to reset the oil change minder. Your owners manual describes how to do that.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Changing oil at 1,500 miles will also help clear any leftover swarf from manufacturing. Then use the severe-duty oil-change schedule, sticking to the next scheduled mileage. Few people should use the standard oil-change schedule (longer change intervals) anyway. Almost everybody qualifies as "severe-duty", whether from dirt roads, stop-and-go city traffic, or trailer towing.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's a handsome truck in a great color. Great choice of canopy/shell too.

Interesting to see Ford moved the center brake light to the top of the tailgate. I wonder whether the US version in 2024 will have the same arrangement. Almost every pickup offered in the US places it on the cab above the rear window, but Dodge Dakota was an exception years ago with the light on the tailgate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals