• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

which 4.0s will work?

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw somewhere on here a list of what year 4.0s will work in what year rangers. Now I know for a 98 ranger, you need a 98-up engine because of the engine mount holes, but i was wondering why a 4.0 from a ifs explorer(95ish-up?) wouldn't work. Did ford change the mount location because of the suspension? If that's the case, then an explorer engine 95( i think) up will work too. Does anyone know?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure of the year ranger here, but the Explorer engine's will be 4.0SOHC compared to the 4.0OHV... You would have to look it up to see what year the Explorer's got the SOHC engine (I think it was around '96 or something), the Ranger's didn't get it till like 2000 something... I'm not sure though...

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ah, that would explain it. I was thinking the explorer didn't get the sohc until later on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals