• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where is everyone getting their clear lenses these days?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
In Oklahoma, they seem to not bother with it. My Lightning doesn't have a single reflector. Nor does my Ranger. Nor do any of my three motorcycles. My bikes don't even have license lights. I ride home from work at night during the warmer months. Never been bothered. Lived here 21 years.

We have a ten and under speeding ticket here. It's all I've ever gotten, and believe me, I was well over 10 and under when stopped. A ten and under doesn't go on your record.

You should see some of the heaps of junk that are on the roads here. It's scary at times. Saw a Mustang one day, the entire windshield was covered in clear tape. I couldn't see who was in it. So therefore ,how the hell did he see anything?

All five of my vehicles have loud exhaust. Both trucks have tinted windshields. The Lightning so dark, at unlit intersections, I have to roll down the side windows to see if anyone is there with their lights off. But, most of the police cars here have darkly tinted windows as well. So there's that.
Every state is different as well as the police departments and how they enforce the law.

Thus why I give the caution.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know t hat, having lived in commiefornia for 26 years. I couldn't get away with a missing front license plate and modified exhaust there. Here, it's "run what you brung."

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now back to the regularly scheduled thread jacking. :threadjacked:

I'm not sure on the headlights. My truck is the dark gray metallic color for the year. It's going to get a respray eventually, but stay the same color. With the '99 front end, the shiny stock style clear lens lights looked great with the chrome bumper and grille. I'm opting fopr a chrome delete with the facelift. The plan is to going 01-03 body color grille with a 2006+ body matched front bumper. I feel like black housings will be too dark, but the chrome housing might be too shiny. Either way I'm not going smoked lens, I drive at night and don't want them to work less.
The problem with that is you are going to have to put the latter year hood on it as well. The grill has a "rise" in the middle to match the "power bulge" on the hood. The 98 - 00 grill is flat-topped. We have one where I work. I've eyed it for my 98. But have to do the bumper, grill and hood to make it work. Not going there. I have and like the "holey hood" option. Today I am putting a much larger hood scoop on it.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my tinted front corners, tail lights and third brake light from CARiD. They have a decent selection. Crystal clear head lights came from there as well, but like ten years ago. May be opting for some tinted head lights as well, to make the entire front end black. Don't drive much at night, usually only from work home. And that's seven miles in the city, very well lit. There's also an Onyx Industries light bar under the tail gate. Does tail lights, turn signals and brake lights. The turn signals are amber and flash from center to the outside continuously. The brake lights do that once before going solid.

View attachment 91744I bought tinted front corners and rear tails, and the View attachment 91743
Nice looking truck!
The problem with that is you are going to have to put the latter year hood on it as well. The grill has a "rise" in the middle to match the "power bulge" on the hood. The 98 - 00 grill is flat-topped. We have one where I work. I've eyed it for my 98. But have to do the bumper, grill and hood to make it work. Not going there. I have and like the "holey hood" option. Today I am putting a much larger hood scoop on it.
Show us pictures please

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures of what? The difference between the grills or the holey hood? You're asking me to go Off Topic? :D

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe I am wrong on that grill I looked at some pics. Maybe the grill changes happened later than I thought. I just know some models have a rise in the center of the grill that doesn't match the 98-00 hood. And the dip in the center of the bumper is deeper, and doesn't match the 98-00 grill. :threadjacked:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know t hat, having lived in commiefornia for 26 years.
Congrats on the successful (?) excape. Welcome, to the world of the slightly more free.

You're asking me to go Off Topic? :D
Certainly sounds like it.

Well, I don't think it's what you had in mind, but I've already got the later model hood on it. The hood and grill you are thinking about actually started in 2004, I'm aiming for a 2001 - 2003 setup. There were 2 hoods used in that year range, the 2wd coil spring trucks had the same "flat" hood as the earlier models, while the torsion bar trucks had the power dome hood. I already have the '01-'03 powerdome hood (which has a taller dome that '04+) on my truck with the stock grille. It is supposedly a direct bolt on with no other changes, but it wasn't on my truck for some reason. I had to space the hood catch down and move the latch all the way up. almost seems like the '01 -'03 truck's grilles might have been flatter across the top than the '98 -'01 grilles.

Still haven't decided if I'm going edge/4x4 style grille or 2wd style grille. If I can find some cheap junkyard pulls I'll probably try both.

Maybe I am wrong on that grill I looked at some pics. Maybe the grill changes happened later than I thought. I just know some models have a rise in the center of the grill that doesn't match the 98-00 hood. And the dip in the center of the bumper is deeper, and doesn't match the 98-00 grill. :threadjacked:
Correct on the bumper. The hood/grille change is 2004.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Some places it's illegal to drive with fogs and high beams. That's why the switches are made that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals