• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel spacers ?

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to wheel spacers ? Are they hard on the spindles etc?
Are they JUST for looks or do they serve a purpose?

Thanks for any input ..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They move your wheels out and help with using wheels that are not ideal for your vehicle.

Can be harder on the wheel bearings depending on how big of a spacer and wheel offset. Another thing to come loose.

Generally frowned apoun because of the coming loose part, some find that offensive. :icon_surprised:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I spaced-out :icon_twisted: to improve handling a bit, wider is more stable, and the stock width is a bit narrow to me. I run close to a stock tire and don't feel it is too much stress on it. The spacers are cheep compared to a new set of wheels and I like the Explorer Limited rims I am running now. I am sure there is a bit more stress on all the steering stuff, bearings, springs etc., but these are truck components and made stronger.

I ran spacers on a wheeler, wider is more stable, probably a good idea as you lift higher, and it allowed me to run wider tires without rubbing or buying new rims. That said I also had one ton axles to take the extra abuse. Large wheels on small axles are going to cause more problems and wear.

If you think spacers are going to come loose then you should also be torquing your wheels frequently. I have not had them come loose once torqued and then retorqued properly.

Spacers less than 1 1/2" will require you to trim wheel lugs. Then you are stuck with them or get to install new lugs. The wider you go and the larger tire you go with probably means more parts and repairs over the miles. Well, unless you spend the money up front to go big enough with the running gear so it will hold-up.

Wider also cuts the spring rate. The extra length of the torque arm gives 1 1/2" spacers about 7% more torque against the front T-bar spring or reduces spring rate that much. 235lb "A" T-bars become 217lb.

I feel in both cases my old wheeler and now with my Ranger that they helped improve what I was after, stability and were much less expensive than new rims. You got money to blow on rims get the backspace or offset you want in the rim.

I recently researched this before I put them on.....................working on the book now.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My rims were $75 at a swap meet and look a heck of a lot better than the stock 6" wide "white sport wheels".

Never been around spacers and probably never will.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My rims were $75 at a swap meet and look a heck of a lot better than the stock 6" wide "white sport wheels".

Never been around spacers and probably never will.
:dunno:whatever, If you get stuck being around them I hope nothing bad happens to you.:D

My rims are stock 2001 Explorer Limited 16" alloys and I wanted to keep them. I like them, nice rims.

I got no problem having used spacers on two vehicles now and would do it again. That said I have not gone over an inch and a half to keep it relatively safe. IMHO the wider track is safer as these rigs have a narrow track and I am sure that contributes to rollover......................What's safer, no spacer, or spacers that widen the track? I simply make sure they are properly torqued each time I have the wheels rotated and balanced. I have not found them to be loose once they were torqued twice.

As you know many run larger wheels and tires which has got to put more stress on than me running 255/70's with 1 1/2" spacers.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is going to the '93+ width ('96 Ex 8.8, '95 Ranger D35) and my sawblade wheels have a tad more than the usual offset.

Actually kinda nervous about how the front is going to look with the D35 because I love the proportions the front has right now.

I see no problem with a small offset like you have, some guys want huge ones to run more modern FWD type wheels... that is what makes me really queasy.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Or you could just get wheels with the back spacing you want? :dunno:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm planning on running wheel spacers on the rear of my Explorer build for two reasons, I'll be running a full width axle up front so it'll need to be wider, and I'll be adapting from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern in the rear... but I'll be staying as thin of spacers as I can for the reasons stated above.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals