• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Bearing Issues

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not certain if this is the right forum for this, if it is not, then I apologize. First off, my truck is a '91 2wd 4.0. I am currently in the process of trying to replace my wheel bearings. The outer bearings were gone completely, leaving only the run that is against the spindle. Well unfortunately it is stuck in place on the spindle and I have no clue how to get it off. I have been trying to hit it off with a hammer and punch/screwdriver, but have had no luck with that. If anyone here has some insight into this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Try giving it a little heat to soften it up. It might help a little.

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had a heater on it. Was too hot to touch, but still didn't give.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't suppose you have a puller handy? If all else fails, you might have to cut it off. I've had to do it a couple of times before. Take a dremel and slowly start cutting through the race, be careful not to cut into the spindle. When you get most of the way through, you should be able to put a chisel into the groove and smack it with a hammer. Don't aim the chisel straight at the spindle, aim it like you're trying to turn the race on the spindle (tangential).

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had thought of using a dremel, but I have misplaced mine. Is a puller something I could rent?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
meh, probably. Got any parts stores around that let you rent or borrow tools? Of course, if it's something you might need again, you could buy one. I know I'm always looking for an excuse to buy new tools. :D

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a puller, but it won't pull it off. In fact it started chipping metal off of the puller. So I guess I'll have to buy another Dremel, unless anyone else has any ideas.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I was going to say use a puller, but if you puller is not working... Are you sure what you are trying to pull out needs to be removed ? That might be why it is not moving very easily ???

But if the puller is not working you might need to try the dremel...

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at the pictures it sure doesn't seem like it should be there. I compared it to the inner run of the outer bearings, and it looks the same to me, and I definately can't get the new outer bearings on with it there. So the dremel it is it looks like.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had this same thing happen to me. I thought I'd never get it off. I used a cut off wheel to get into it a little bit then an air hammer to blast it off. Not fun.

susieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Same Problem Here. Outer Bearing Remnants Frozen on Spindle

Anyone know what kind of heat, and what kind of metal drill bit might be best for trying to get the thing off? If I still can't get it to budge, is spindle replacement a pretty big deal or something that most can do? I'm already looking around for a used spindle for my '92 2WD Ranger just in case. Not sure what other years might be compatible with my '92. Thanks for any help.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you don't have a dremel, is there any way you can get at it at an angle with a hacksaw?

I know cutting a bearing with a hacksaw would be a drag, and probably go through a few blades, but if that's an option...

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A drill bit isn't going to do you any good. I assume you have the hub and rotor off? I've always found the best way is to cut most of the way through the bearing race with a die grinder, dremel, etc and then crack it with a hammer and chisel. A hacksaw would suck, but it's still doable.

I don't remember, are the spindles removable for the 2WDs, or do you have to get the whole knuckle?

susieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Outer Bearing Stuck

Mine is just the outer bearing and not the racer. I was hoping that I could pound away at it with a drill bit and maybe get it down enough to attack it with a hammer and chisel. I also thought about the hacksaw route but that does sound pretty rough. How about a small cutting bit on a drill instead of a dremel? Don't have a dremel but have a pretty good drill available. I think that the spindle on my 2wd is removable but haven't really gotten that far yet. Just sent out some feelers to local junk yards in case I have no luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals