• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats your average mpg?

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Curious as to what you guys that have 4banger rangers are averaging highway/city wise? I'd like to get something that gets descent gas mileage for my long daily commute but want to avoid getting a car because I hate being cramped so I am looking at 2wd 2.3l rangers. I see ads claiming 27mpg but can't take their word for it when they're trying to sell it.

99RangerOffRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to get 24 mpg but I was young and drove like a bat outta hell.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i get about 23/24 . my driving is mostly around town and i drive conservatively. my truck is tuned up i run full synthetic and i have no cel or issues.......that i know of. i like the truck a lot and is simple and easy to work on..if you find one you lie post it on here and we will give you feedback about it..

*I probably would get 27 on the highway but for the most part i don't take it on very long trips....

Last edited:

Gsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I get between 21 & 25 mpg. I have a 5 speed manual 2.3L 1993 reg cab. With a cap, the cap definitely helps with the mileage.

bwilkinson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 l 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
18 mpg, that is all, 92 2.3 l wish i got more.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
I get 21 mpg around town. I drive like a old man most of the time. But I also have sides on the truck and have about 600 lbs. in the back a lot of the time.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I get terrible mileage I get about 14 city 17 highway but mine has 3.73 gears and a tranny out of a 4x4 so @ 60 mph I am turning about 3100 rpm. and it sucks.
I am going to put a new carb on it and taller tires to lower the rpms and to get rid of the constant miss from the junk carb thats on it

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm getting 15-17 with my turbo engine... :) way better than the 10 before I fixed a few issues, I can even run regular gas again for the first time in over a year

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Mine does pretty good and I drive all highway. It gets right at 30 MPG but seriously, I drive it pretty easy. I never drive it over 65 MPH.

I don't do any city driving so I don't know.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses guys, your input helps, I figured that the truck should be capable of at least 26mpg which is still better than my explorer.

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
The scorched land of Arizona, where gun toting, bi
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
My truck is loaded with all kinds of crap for work. Ladder rack w big ladders, tool box, and spools of cable that weigh a ton, and I'm driving in 115 degree heat all day. I still get around 20 on city streets and 26-27 on the hwy.
Got 29.1" tires, 4.56 gears, double plat sparks, and a high flow intake. Planning on deleting the cat, ram air for the intake, bigger injectors, and new bearings for the front and rear. e-fan conversion too if I can find one at the junk yard.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My truck is loaded with all kinds of crap for work. Ladder rack w big ladders, tool box, and spools of cable that weigh a ton, and I'm driving in 115 degree heat all day. I still get around 20 on city streets and 26-27 on the hwy.
Got 29.1" tires, 4.56 gears, double plat sparks, and a high flow intake. Planning on deleting the cat, ram air for the intake, bigger injectors, and new bearings for the front and rear. e-fan conversion too if I can find one at the junk yard.
dude, leave the cat, it's not robbing power, and it'll make it run like crap on a '97 anyway... not to mention being illegal. Mufflers are more of an exhaust restriction than cats, stick a high flow muffler and put the pipe in front of the rear tire for a louder and slightly higher performance system. ram air doesn't do anything either... bigger injectors will just make you use more gas if you don't have other mods to make them useful (big cam and/or forced induction would do), the computer would probably adjust the extra flow out with the oxygen sensor anyway

back in the day my truck maxxed at 29mpg, averaged 26 with a worst case of 23, after the 4x4 conversion averaged 19 with a max of 21 (bad alignment)

VlvtnRbt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Fuel guage doesn't work so I have to use my trip odometer instead, so I end up calculating my avg fuel mileage every time I get gas, 1991 2.3 - 5 speed, I went to 205-60R-14" tires to lower my drive ratio (I figured out I have the 2nd lowest numerical gear ratio avalable) otherwise I wasn't able to use 5th gear anywhere but on an interstate breaking the speed limit. I very consistantly get 25-26 mpg mixed driving. 39 mile commute one way 7 of every 14 days 20 miles of 2 lane state highway through semi-stip developed, 9 miles Interstate.

suprapsu

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I get about 22/24 mixed city/highway.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've seen as low as 21 around town, and as high as 27 on the highway. Pretty consistently in the 22-24mpg range day to day.

Pretty sure I haven't burned more than a tank every 4-6 weeks for a while now, though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals