• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would YOU do?

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck's automatic transmission (4R55E) is dead. I am stuck between buying a remanufactured transmission for $1300 or buying a 1997 Explorer w/ 5.0L v8 and 140k miles for $1000 OBO, and just swapping that drivetrain into my truck instead.

My 4.0 v6 that is currently in my truck has roughly 135k-140k miles on it and works perfectly. What would you do...transmission swap or v8 swap?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you should be able to swap in a manual for less than either of those options. if youve got the time and the place (and the ambition) the explorer drivetrain would be cool and you should even be able to sell off your old engine and the explorer axles and stuff to make back some money.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the time and place so I may go the v8 swap route.
And to the manual transmission route...I'm not sure how comfortable I would be in the tight stuff with a manual transmission.

Thanks for your opinion, I'd love to hear from some more of you guys!

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never had much luck with rebuilt automatics. Too many times I have seen them die quick and not shift right when they do last. I have rebuilt two of my own, a C4 and a Th350, and feel like it was worth my time to know they were right. I have not driven the C4 yet, but the Th350 went in a friend's car and worked fine. Both of those transmissions are considered simple compared to a lot of others, so I can't say I would be able to rebuild any automatic, but I would think it was worth a try. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on another rebuilt trans when I don't know if I can trust it. Depending on exactly what you are doing with the truck, a manual swap may be worth doing. Worst case, replacing a clutch costs less than another rebuilt automatic, and you can definitely do that yourself.

adrenalnjunky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The whole reason I'm driving a Ranger right now is cause the trans in my Blazer has died for the 3rd time. 2 remans and I'm going to rebuild the 4L60 for myself this time I think. Last remain was supposed to have all the heavy duty stuff they could find. 3 dead transmissions in 130,000 miles. /sigh.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
rebuild the trans yourself is my answer.
get a good book on it.. buy an overhaul complete set... tear it down, find your issue, and put it back together. Just pay attention to the tolerances in everything when going back together, a good book will tell you the tolerances.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies guys.
Just found a 96 B4000 5 speed just like I have, on craigslist. 216k miles, new clutch assembly, throw out bearing, and slave cylinder. Only thing is that he said its a bit hard to get into some gears. The guy is asking $800 for it. I'm gonna see if I can talk him down a bit. It would be a great donor for the M5R1 swap and also a great parts truck. Then I can scrap the rest.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The V8 sounds fun but it's going to cost some money to get it in there and running.Gas is around 4.30 a gallon here and it's not going down much if any before it goes up more.Auto's are nice four wheeling but if it's not reliable it's always a worry.Manuals are more reliable in the older rangers and that is more important to me.If you get the Mazda put bearings and synchros in it.That's well towards the end of the life cycle of the M5OD.The long lasting economical choice is the manual tranny and same old truck.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay I think I'm going with an M5R1. I did a bit of searching but couldnt find a few answers. Will I need a different tranny crossmember? Different rear driveshaft? (I swapped in a 1 piece driveshaft)

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
cross member no. drive shaft no.. ive swapped my 99 from auto to 5spd,, if you have any other ? hit me up.. you can use your steering colum, just have to cut the ear off for the shift cable, you can unbolt the shifter, your going to need, a clutch, flywheel, starter, manual tranny harness, pedal assembly, clutch line, clutch inerta switch, slave cylinder, tranny computer, that should about do it.. its a pretty stright forward swap. i was able to swap mine over in a day.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cross member no. drive shaft no.. ive swapped my 99 from auto to 5spd,, if you have any other ? hit me up.. you can use your steering colum, just have to cut the ear off for the shift cable, you can unbolt the shifter, your going to need, a clutch, flywheel, starter, manual tranny harness, pedal assembly, clutch line, clutch inerta switch, slave cylinder, tranny computer, that should about do it.. its a pretty stright forward swap. i was able to swap mine over in a day.
I know how to drive em, but i'm relatively new on where some things go and whatnot. Like the master cylinder and clutch inertia switch. I could probably figure it out or look up pictures though. :D

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Me? I'd go on www.car-part.com and find a low mileage used one for cheap and swap it out...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd set it on fire and push it into the zippy hole.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never had much luck with rebuilt automatics. Too many times I have seen them die quick and not shift right when they do last. I have rebuilt two of my own, a C4 and a Th350, and feel like it was worth my time to know they were right. I have not driven the C4 yet, but the Th350 went in a friend's car and worked fine. Both of those transmissions are considered simple compared to a lot of others, so I can't say I would be able to rebuild any automatic, but I would think it was worth a try. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on another rebuilt trans when I don't know if I can trust it. Depending on exactly what you are doing with the truck, a manual swap may be worth doing. Worst case, replacing a clutch costs less than another rebuilt automatic, and you can definitely do that yourself.
The trannies you overhauled are easy. The A4LD has issues that cause it to fail soon after a soft rebuild. These are correctable with machine work. You can do a search and find the fix. That isn't a bad tranny, when it works, and if I had one now I might go to the bother so I could keep my overdrive and lock-up converter. But I'm ditching my manual and going back to an auto--a C5. This truck did have an A4LD in it which didn't fail. And it now has an M50d, which did fail once and was rebuilt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals