• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What type of A/C do I have?

92XLT.Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L (rebuilt)
Transmission
Automatic

92XLT.Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L (rebuilt)
Transmission
Automatic

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
That's what I'd try first.

If the lines have ever been off you'd need to replace the receiver dryer and pull a vacuum, but it's normal for refrigerate to evaporate through the microscopic holes as a result of aging.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lets back up and use a hair of logic.

You say there are no leaks. If there are no leaks, why would adding refrigerant that (allegedly) hasn't leaked out help fix it?

First you need to find out if the compressor is even kicking on.

My final thought on the matter is that A/C seems simple. It is actually pretty complex. You don't seem to know enough to go about fixing it yourself.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Again, the refrigerant system's hoses are porous. Over time the pressure inside WILL escape. That is NORMAL.

Depending on how much pressure is in the system the compressor might not kick on, but many times I've jumpered the + wire and charged the system.

No, it won't last a few years like new, but it will get him through the summer if this works.

Damn techie money grubber you!:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Again, the refrigerant system's hoses are porous. Over time the pressure inside WILL escape. That is NORMAL.

Depending on how much pressure is in the system the compressor might not kick on, but many times I've jumpered the + wire and charged the system.

No, it won't last a few years like new, but it will get him through the summer if this works.

Damn techie money grubber you!:icon_thumby:
I understand that a certain amount of loss is considered normal, but it has been my practical experience that this effect rarely allows for enough to escape to stop the system from working at all, if the system is charged with the correct refrigerant. It never allows it to happen suddenly like the OP seems to describe. There is a slow loss of performance and has the system working poorly enough that the owner usually gets it checked out before it reaches the point he is at.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Yep! Sounds to me like he just got it. History of the symptoms is unknown.:icon_confused:

92XLT.Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L (rebuilt)
Transmission
Automatic
Yep! Sounds to me like he just got it. History of the symptoms is unknown.:icon_confused:
yep, your correct I just got the truck. Got it last summer. The truck has 136,000 miles on it now...

Before I got it, it sat in my granparends garage for a few years, before I got ahold of it they took it to a shop and had everything look over and replace if needed to be.

The heat works wonderfull nice and hot for the winter, blower motor runs good, every setting works defrost, floor, panel, ect. Its just that theres no cold air just whatever the air temp is outside is what blows through.

I took the little cap off the a/c receiver drier where you would put that can of R134a stuff, pressed down on the nosel and nothing came out.

also my compresor doesn't engage when I turn the a/c on max with the button pressed on.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
You have a leak you have to fix it or spend unneeded money on continuously refilling it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You're all forgetting that this truck is a 1992, which means it's an R12 system. You need to check if it's been converted to R134a already. If it hasn't you need to either convert it or start looking for some hard to find, expensive R12.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
All the more reason to fix the leak imo

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You're all forgetting that this truck is a 1992, which means it's an R12 system. You need to check if it's been converted to R134a already. If it hasn't you need to either convert it or start looking for some hard to find, expensive R12.
^This. If it was converted by a professional, it should have a sticker on the A/C box near the firewall, or on the radiator support. Another way to tell is by the fittings.

EDIT: The sticker will look similar to this.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
R12 substitutes are available for small problems (we use "Freeze 12"), if you have to replace much you might as well convert.

92XLT.Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L (rebuilt)
Transmission
Automatic
hey is it safe to buy the r-134a stuff, and the adapter fittings and use that?

and no it was never converted from an r12 to r134a set up.
How much would that probly cost me?

everything looks to be is fine shape, also the Compressor won't turn on. Looking at buying a new compressor for $185.00. It says "its R12 - R134a compatable

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It looks like the adaptor fittings are already installed, so the truck probably has been converted. If you're very low on refrigerant, the compressor is not SUPPOSED to turn on. You probably don't need a new compressor. I would replace the orifice tube. If the old one has lots of metal shavings on it, you'll probably need a compressor among other things. If it looks good, just put a new one in. Replace the accumulator (add some Ester oil to it, and wait until you're about to vacuum and recharge before instaling). Remove the compressor, drain the oil from it, and add some fresh Ester oil to it. It is a good idea to replace all the O-rings. Then vacuum and recharge.

I just did this job a few days ago, and my vent temps get down to 32 degrees.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals