• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what things should be done to a 4.0 while it’s out of the vehicle and has been sitting

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
4.0 ohv has been sitting for a few years in the garage and i would like to know what i should do to it before it goes in the truck, besides oil change and regasketing the whole thing what else should i do for it? that is within reason cost wise. no problems with it are known as of now.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Regasket everything, replace timing chains, water pump, oil pump. Couple hundred bucks wont be to bad.
dude that’s crazy those are the exact things i was gonna do glad we’re on the same page, i think everything else besides bottom end work can be done in the truck, thanks for the input💪🏼💯 anything you recommend doing before i start it 4 the first time? besides new oil, filter, coolanl, plugs and wires.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Before you start it for the first time, crank it for 30 seconds with the pedal on the floor, it won't start since that's "clear flood mode" so it turns off the injectors but that will give it a chance to prime the oil system.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
If the heads are off, have the valve guides and valve seats inspected by a reputable machinist. A quality multi-angle valve job and new valve guides now could restore the level of performance to OEM/new.

This is also a great opportunity to determine if your pushrods and rockers are serviceable ..)

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I was holding off getting into this thread. How many miles on the engine? how did it run before it was pulled out of a truck? and why pulled?

The 2 major things I would look into doing are, oil pan gaskets and possible rear seal .... everything else can be accessed from inside the engine bay ... if there are/were no issues with a strong 4L why rip it apart?

I have turned over sitting engines that were sitting in cars/trucks for years and never needed to rip them apart before re-starting them. (unless for a reason)

Just my $0.02 ... as I have followed your other threads about engine problems.... cheers

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
I was holding off getting into this thread. How many miles on the engine? how did it run before it was pulled out of a truck? and why pulled?

The 2 major things I would look into doing are, oil pan gaskets and possible rear seal .... everything else can be accessed from inside the engine bay ... if there are/were no issues with a strong 4L why rip it apart?

I have turned over sitting engines that were sitting in cars/trucks for years and never needed to rip them apart before re-starting them. (unless for a reason)

Just my $0.02 ... as I have followed your other threads about engine problems.... cheers
yea no i’m no ripping it apart i’m going to reseal the whole thing oil and water pump + valve job i just need that damn wiring harness!

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In all honesty depending on what you're goal is for the truck if its just a beater. Who cares..... If you are attached to the truck and want to do a restoration over time or have the mindset of this is the last truck I'm gonna have. Getting machine work done on the bottom end maybe 30 over and turn the crank 10/10 is an option with the valve job etc. Congratulations you have basically a brand new motor.... thats ready for another 150k plus in mileage

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve always wanted to go through and fix everything to make it like new or better but never seem to be able to pull it off. Always short money or a place to work or need the vehicle sooner and things get thrown together. Good on you for wanting to head off problems

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
dude that’s crazy those are the exact things i was gonna do glad we’re on the same page, i think everything else besides bottom end work can be done in the truck, thanks for the input💪🏼💯 anything you recommend doing before i start it 4 the first time? besides new oil, filter, coolanl, plugs and wires.
I would replace the valve stem seals too. Also take a look under the exhaust manifold to make sure there aren't any signs of coolant leaking from the head gasket.

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
If I may, How is the drivers side Valve cover. Mine rusted out terribly and I had to purchase another one. I got mine from an ebay junkyard seller. They are very hard to find.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
If I may, How is the drivers side Valve cover. Mine rusted out terribly and I had to purchase another one. I got mine from an ebay junkyard seller. They are very hard to find.
both are in great condition, here’s a picture of the motor i’m gonna paint it too 😃

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd tear it down and go through it because it would piss me off to have to take it back out if something went wrong. Like Dirty Harry said "do you feel lucky?"

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd tear it down and go through it because it would piss me off to have to take it back out if something went wrong. Like Dirty Harry said "do you feel lucky?"
I usually end up with a problem even when I do that sort of thing, but at least the bolts come out easier because it’s already been apart, lol

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
both are in great condition, here’s a picture of the motor i’m gonna paint it too 😃
I'd take both valve covers off, sand, prime and paint them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals