• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what size wrench for oil pressure sender

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
hello, I am putting a new oil pressure gauge in my truck so I have to take off the stock oil pressure sender and it looks like it is grooved around the outer case and it might take a box end or socket, or is it grooved just for gripping? . Does anybody know what size box end wrench or socket might fit my oil pressure senders outer case? Or a better way of taking it off without damage (reinstalling)? Thank you, Dave. p.s. I have the round, short, electric, 1 wire sender that runs the oil warning light (no actual pressure reading).

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't you make the first guess and SUPPOSE it is the SAME size and the NEW one you have in that paper sack?
Big JIm

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
WHAT? WHAT NEW ONE in WHAT PAPER SACK? I have to take off the original and reuse it. if you actually know the right size I need that would be helpful.

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Pardon Big Jim from TX

He might be answering ?'s he hasn't fully read.
I just did the same thing you are trying to do, and didn't have a tool that would grip that fitting especially since the motor mount bracket is so close. I had to take mine to a shop for an unrelated issue, so while it was there I asked them if they could just loosen it for me.
You might try a cold chisel or old screwdriver and just hit the flats on that fitting to drive it around, but I wouldn't hit it hard enough to to shear it of at the block.
I really like having the gauges instead of the idiot lights and old stock gauges, being able to see a psi # or degree # is much more reassuring.
Good luck.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
you can pick up the special 8 point socket at most discount tool places pretty cheaply (under 5 bucks)

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
thanks Holly and boomer, ok you to jim :) i will check the local tool stores for the 8 point today, and I agree with having an actual reading instead of an OH S#!T light on the dash. The gauges are not the most reliable of ford gauges to say the least! I am going to replace the fuel and water temp. gauges also, it will be nice to see what is actually going on in there. Thank you all again and i will let you know how it goes, Dave:beer:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
took mine off a few months back and replaced it, seems like it was a 1 inch or 1-1/16".....cant remember for sure tho

79F1504X400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,6.6L
Transmission
Manual
Use Channel Locks

Since I couldn't find a socket that fit, I just used a pair of channel lock pliers. It wasn't over-tightnened so I didnt have much trouble removing it. The new one I put on like an oil filter, hand tight then an extra 1/2 turn so it wouldn't leak. I've had no issues since. At least not with oil leaks.....

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
thanks Eddie and 400(M) ;) for your input today. So I tried the Tool/Parts stores for the right socket today with no luck. so I tried some of your suggestions and a few of my own with no luck (sockets and box end wrenches all to big or small, channel locks handles all to long, no room for punch and hammer, even tried my bare hands). Butt then I saw my OLD oil filter strap wrench and it worked (gotta love old school tools) :) Every things in and running good (for now) THANK YOU ALL, Dave. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

79F1504X400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,6.6L
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear you were triumphant. :beer::beer::beer::headbang:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer a metric crescent it seems to work better than a US standard on a german motor:)

79F1504X400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,6.6L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl: metric crescent wrench??? THATS what I'm missing in my tool box...

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
YES!!! I knew There was a tool I needed to buy, is it made buy the same company who make the reverse rotation sockets and wrenches. :icon_rofl: thanks Kimcrwbr1, 79f1504x4400 i needed that :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals