• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this horn contact thing in steering column called?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not positive, but try clock-spring.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Horn contact switch.

Nobody will know what you are talking about or be able to find anything. I went the JY route...

And there is a difference between tilt and non-tilt columns too.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Another vote for clockspring.

it is there to give electrical continuity to not only the horn, but cruise control and airbag if equipped. or any other control that might be on the steering wheel itself.

AJ

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Horn contact switch.

Nobody will know what you are talking about or be able to find anything. I went the JY route...

And there is a difference between tilt and non-tilt columns too.
That's what I figured. What other Ford models can I find this in?

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Horn contact is right. Dorman makes contact kits to fix them. Looks like you might just need a new spring in one of them to get it going again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

it is there to give electrical continuity to not only the horn, but cruise control and airbag if equipped. or any other control that might be on the steering wheel itself.

AJ
It isn't a clock spring. Clock springs are for airbag cars, and have a defining characteristic of being able to be destroyed by turning the wheel too far.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

AJ
They do the same thing but this style does it with these contacts riding on a metal ring on the back of the steering wheel.

Clock springs wind and unwind as the steering wheel is turned, they actually look like a coiled spring you can find in a clock (possibly where the name came from :icon_thumby:)

Try BII's and Explorers for sure, not sure if they changed between first or second gens (Ranger/BII's) so watch out for that. I know my '85 has one but I don't remember if it looks exactly the same as yours or not.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Building on 85 Rangers description;

The rings are normally called slip rings.

The 2 spring-loaded doohickies would be called brushes. They could be made of copper, brass or carbon.

It appears that you are trying to find the brushes and brush holder assembly.

This is a very common way to transfer electricity between two parts where rotational movement occurs. Such as in some AC motors and alternators.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
It isn't a clock spring. Clock springs are for airbag cars, and have a defining characteristic of being able to be destroyed by turning the wheel too far.
*puts on automotive engineer hat*

Or more specifically, a clockspring is effectively a cable reel whose neutral position is half un-reeled. As you turn, it either reels or unreels cable; there is enough cable to get you lock to lock but more than that, well, rips the cable.

As for the name, it's called a clockspring because the internal construction visually mimicks a wound up "ribbon" spring, which was used in a lot of clocks back in the day.

---

As mentioned above, what was pictured is the brush portion of a slip ring. Slip rings use circular contacts and sprung brushes to allow electrical contact through a rotating axis.

Slip rings aren't used for airbags, mainly for reliability reasons. Slip rings are notorious failure points (especially discreet brush ones like in the picture), and while good enough for a horn and other steering wheel switches, are too failure prone for a safety device such as an airbag.

Clocksprings, on the other hand, are far more reliable as there are no brushes to wear out and go bad. The internal wires can fail and a botched steering column job can result in it getting ripped, but otherwise, they don't wear out.

Another concern is the mode of failure; with slip rings the contacts can carbonize and short to each other when worn. In the case of a horn, worst case your horn gets stuck, a fuse blows, or the switches on the steering wheel don't work right. In the case of an airbag, worst case is a short to another circuit which has a path to battery/ground; in which case the airbag could detenate randomly and/or when a switch is hit... especially with older air bags, you can see why having an airbag go off when you honk the horn might become a nasty lawsuit. While a designer can choose the order of the contacts to minimize this, given the state of disrepair some vehicles enter when they get old, the potential still exists.

Closkprings are encased in plastic (no path to ground), so the only way for a short would be for two wires to split at the same point and make contact, which outside of botched repair work is extremely unlikely. Just to be safe, some clocksprings jacket the airbag wires separately as extra protection.

Last edited:

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Went to a junkyard today and must have pulled nearly half a dozen steering wheels. 87 Ranger, 88 Ranger, older Explorers and F trucks, none looked the same. No Rangers around 1990 but plenty of newer ones. Last thing I tried was a late 80's Topaz. It looked similar but the plastic body was a little different. The pins were still good so I took it. At home I was able to swap the internal parts and it looks like it will work fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals