• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I googled it and saw an old video testing just that, said it held up for the 2 ish weeks he tested. after that I added the super glue and baking soda to my cart took what the chemical was and checked if it was resistant and it is so I'll try it out thanks!
again, go with several small applications and build it up with additional applications,,

Figure out the stresses, and you can use some fiberglass strands, or even just a piece of fiberglass screen, some little wires, whatever makes sense as reinforcing. Think of it as rebar concrete. Same concept.

May want to do a couple of practice things with scraps. Make a little tiny spoon out of a tiny screwdriver or something like that so you can put the baking soda exactly where you want it and then be prepared to put too much superglue on it, you really have to soak it. If it doesn’t come out the way you want you could put a grinding ball on your little drill and grind out the bad spots just do it again.

Hope it helps

EDITED FOR TYPOS

Last edited:

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Make a little tiny spoon
we both know that wasn't an accident ! haha🧂🧂:ROFLMAO:

I'll for sure follow your advice, not sure if reinforcement would be necessary since it's a relatively small hole about 3/16-1/8 but I'll still do some tests on an old chunk of plastic I have, with and without fiberglass /strands vs screen and whatnot

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
we both know that wasn't an accident ! haha🧂🧂:ROFLMAO:

I'll for sure follow your advice, not sure if reinforcement would be necessary since it's a relatively small hole about 3/16-1/8 but I'll still do some tests on an old chunk of plastic I have, with and without fiberglass /strands vs screen and whatnot
Reinforcement is to take the flex out of the tank wall in the area of the hole.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Next time you have monsoon rains, tell them to take I-20 east toward Augusta, not I-85 north toward Greenville.
Well, that weather was kind of like a visit from the inlaws*. I really don't care what direction they head in as long as they leave here. Just so happened they visited Rick on the way to Greenville.

* I don't have inlaws, but I do have family that I tolerate at best.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Got the ranger home tuesday night and did aome unpacking of the trucks. Washed ith trucks today and mowed the yard so code enforcement doesnt charge me 600 bucks.

20240212_151807.jpg
20240212_152002.jpg

These pics are in pueblo colorado. After going ocer ratton pass, we were greeted with endless fields of snow and once we got to amarillo, the highways were icy all the way to lubbock so it was a slow ride.

After lubbock, all was clear till corpus with the temps increasing from 19, in lubbock, to 72 in corpus christi.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Woke up to 17 degrees here in colorado springs. We have a car hauler to put the ranger on and put all of my son's junk in the cab or bed of the ranger while we make the 1k mile trip home, hopefully monday.View attachment 105861View attachment 105862
How good are those U-Haul car haulers? I plan to tow a 1998 k1500 parts truck on it about 800 miles. The parts truck has no brakes (ebrake was even cut out).

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
How good are those U-Haul car haulers? I plan to tow a 1998 k1500 parts truck on it about 800 miles. The parts truck has no brakes (ebrake was even cut out).
I have used them, and I love them. Of course any chance I get to borrow a double axle flat bed trailer, I like “free” even more. If you can borrow a big enough trailer, you could buy the owner set of tires cheaper than you can rent one of those U-Haul‘s, maybe.

A couple thoughts. When you rent them, you have to tell them what vehicle you’re going to be pulling it with, and what you’re going to put on top of it. They won’t let you put a dump truck on the trailer and pull it with a Volkswagen.

Also, double check the wheelbase and track width. They won’t let you rent it if the vehicle your Towing doesn’t roll right on it. The U-Haul trailers they make now are smaller than the U-Haul trailers 30 40 years ago. There is a mix out there, but the big ones are getting few and far between.

Finally, you probably know this, do a little research on the weight balance of the truck if significant parts are missing. We’ve all seen the video, and a few of us have seen it in person, I even did it once (fortunately, without a wreck), when a trailer is loaded wrong, and it starts to sway side to side and go out of control. About 60% of the weight of the load has to be in front of the center point between the two axles, basically so there’s more weight on the front then there is on the back. I’m assuming the truck is going to fill up the trailer pretty well, don’t do something creative like backing it on the trailer which leaves the engine weight over the tail.

And, note that that trailer sway is independent of the size vehicle you’re pulling it with. If it’s too heavy on the tail, even if you’re pulling it with a Peterbilt, it can start to sway. The Peterbilt might not feel it, but the trailer and the load can still get trashed pretty badly.

Hope it helps, Good luck with it!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

I love them too. Tell them you are towing and 70 vw beetle or a single cab ranger.

Somwtimes its wayyyy cheaper to rent it in town, by day, then it is to pull from one city to the next.

They wanted 2200 bucks for me to rent it in colorado springs and return it in corpus christi. But to rent it daily and return it where you got it from, no matter where you go with it, is 54 a day. So we rented it and draged it up there and back for 300 bucks

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I love them too. Tell them you are towing and 70 vw beetle or a single cab ranger.

Somwtimes its wayyyy cheaper to rent it in town, by day, then it is to pull from one city to the next.

They wanted 2200 bucks for me to rent it in colorado springs and return it in corpus christi. But to rent it daily and return it where you got it from, no matter where you go with it, is 54 a day. So we rented it and draged it up there and back for 300 bucks
My kids are grown now, but when they were in school up north (15-20 years ago), I ended up driving back-and-forth from Atlanta to New York or Connecticut more times than I care to remember. Several times when I had a big load, once I was bringing a car up, I bought a double axle trailer down here, which back then was less than $1000, and you could sell it up by New York City for about $2500. I did that several times.

When I was getting divorced from the practice wife, the biggest 26 foot U-Haul truck was about $2500 one-way. We had to make three or four trips.

At the same time, they were selling used ones for the same $2500. I bought one, it needed a couple tires and the emergency brake didn’t work. I asked the mechanic at U-Haul to check it out for me, and he put two new tires on it, fixed the emergency brake, and some things I didn’t even know about, and I gave him a case of beer.

Drove it back-and-forth to New York three times, and my uncle up in New York sold it for $3400.

Ah, when I was younger, the good ole days…..

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
We thought about buying one and just reselling it but the prices were terrible to buy one amd than try to resell.

I think i need to just get a 16 foot flat trailer that way i can get vehicles and still use it for other stuff. My 8 foot trailer is to small for alot of things

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 18’ car trailer I bought mainly for hauling 16’ lumber and other bulky items that don’t easily fit in the back of a ranger.

Have actually used to to move a car or two as well.

Paid for itself with how convenient it is, don’t have to deal with stupid Uhual people, just hook it up and go.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
7109BA4A-4F74-493C-8C7B-71FE12C13F68.jpeg

Oof. House jack on a laminated 2x4 pad crunched right through a “concrete” floor. That’s a 1’ square pad. I suspected this could be an issue which is why I made the pads. Knew the floor was a potential problem from the start. Gonna brace, pull it, level with sand and I made some 2’ square pads for under the two main jacks. Then re-arrange and add in a couple more jacks and pads to the mix. Then it’s back to cranking things up so I can replace the support posts some idiot cut out.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today I got the donor explorer hauled over to my parent's house so I could start tearing it down. We built this trailer 7 or 8 years ago. I didn't have a trailer and wanted one, but I wanted to be able haul a vehicle and not be too large for other purposes. After seeing this picture I'm thinking might should have gone bigger, and the Explorer should probably have been a bit more forward. Anyway, first time I've actually used the trailer other than moving it empty between my and my parent's house. Also the first time I've towed more than a 4-wheeler with this F-250 since I got it a couple years ago.

IMG_20240217_150045448.jpg

Didn't start loading up until sometime after lunch. I got there sometime around 3pm. No pictures of it, but got it into the shop and got started. 3 hours later it was on stands, wheels removed, driveshafts removed, and hood removed. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get majority of the driveline removed, but not going to hold my breath. This thing is loaded with rust and the hardware condition reflects it. Maybe rest of the hardware got less exposure and will be easier to come apart, again I'm not going to hold my breath.

Probably won't be a lot of pictures of the process. I'm trying to get it done and stoping every 10 minutes to take a picture won't help.

Got the ranger home tuesday night and did aome unpacking of the trucks. Washed ith trucks today and mowed the yard so code enforcement doesnt charge me 600 bucks.

View attachment 106152View attachment 106153

These pics are in pueblo colorado. After going ocer ratton pass, we were greeted with endless fields of snow and once we got to amarillo, the highways were icy all the way to lubbock so it was a slow ride.

After lubbock, all was clear till corpus with the temps increasing from 19, in lubbock, to 72 in corpus christi.
I'm sure I missed a post somewhere, but why is the Ranger on the trailer?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Today I got the donor explorer hauled over to my parent's house so I could start tearing it down. We built this trailer 7 or 8 years ago. I didn't have a trailer and wanted one, but I wanted to be able haul a vehicle and not be too large for other purposes. After seeing this picture I'm thinking might should have gone bigger, and the Explorer should probably have been a bit more forward. Anyway, first time I've actually used the trailer other than moving it empty between my and my parent's house. Also the first time I've towed more than a 4-wheeler with this F-250 since I got it a couple years ago.

View attachment 106249

Didn't start loading up until sometime after lunch. I got there sometime around 3pm. No pictures of it, but got it into the shop and got started. 3 hours later it was on stands, wheels removed, driveshafts removed, and hood removed. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get majority of the driveline removed, but not going to hold my breath. This thing is loaded with rust and the hardware condition reflects it. Maybe rest of the hardware got less exposure and will be easier to come apart, again I'm not going to hold my breath.

Probably won't be a lot of pictures of the process. I'm trying to get it done and stoping every 10 minutes to take a picture won't help.

I'm sure I missed a post somewhere, but why is the Ranger on the trailer?
The whole set up looks good. Obviously it’s doing what you wanted to do. How long is the trailer? How long is the bed of the trailer?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
or do you mean a 2 wheel tow dolly?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals