• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Here is some more.

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
@JoshT I did my well pump a couple years ago, wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated but the well was only about 9 years old and I knew the depth and HP and stuff... If unknown and iron pipe it would be a pain to pull up. Mine just had PVC and was only 80' deep, replaced the PVC with black poly, pretty straight forward.

As for me over the weekend, yesterday I mowed and mowed... then moved stuff so I could mow under it, that was about it... Today I weedeated around the shop some then headed over to my brothers to help cut down the last 10 or so trees that were in the way for his overhead power for the irrigation pump that got knocked down in November, not sure how many trees we've taken down but I bet around 50 most 50-80' tall and only a couple the 18" chainsaw bars weren't big enough for... I should be set on firewood for a few years... right now the trees are mostly just downed and still need cut into rounds or moveable logs but you can't drive to where most of it is yet so it'll be a process.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a few general thoughts, if it helps you think it all out, all stuff you may know already.

I don’t know if you want to get the cheapest well pump you can get. Home Depot usually sells decent stuff because they have to stand behind it. But they stand behind the unit not all the labor to put it in and out, nor your loss of water and lifestyle for a week or two.

I realize Home Depot also sells different grades of everything, so you can get the cheap one, the better one, or the best one. While I may not get the cheapest one, I may not also get the most expensive one.

And I am far from an expert on well technology, but I know that it’s more than a pipe in a hole in the ground with a pump in it. I believe there is a way for the well driller to back flush and surge the well, which opens up the ground around the well, which lets the water flow easier and more clearly.

I know there’s also a bacteria treatment they could do at the same time that will maintain the water quality for years to come. I don’t know what it would cost, but if he’s going to surge the well, I’m sure that’s the least expensive time to do it.

Another question, do you know how old your well is? Well screen is not window screen. It’s the slots in the pipe that allows the water to come through to the pump. Is it iron pipe? Is it plastic pipe? Is it 15 years old or is it 50 years old?

Another question, do you plan on making changes to your house? Are you going to add a half dozen bedrooms and three or four bathrooms, a swimming, pool and an outdoor kitchen? Sounds silly, but if you need to do a little upgrade for future plans, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Final thought, I hate financing anything, but I’ll bet you this guy will let you pay overtime if you put a reasonable down payment on it, especially if you do upgrades. Maybe pay 40% upfront and the rest over a year, and you can use the rest of the money to build your engine in the meantime.

I probably didn’t even cover 10% of the things you should think about, but getting water on tomorrow is probably only 50% of the equation.

I hope it helps and does it make your head hurt more….
Thanks Rick, the head was already hurting so you couldn't have made it any worse.

HD only sells one grade of submersible pump. Looks like same for Lowes, and they are probably both made by the same company. They only come with a 3 year warranty which I have little doubt that even the cheapest option off Amazon would outlive. Stuff like this, it's not so much going online for the cheapest, but to cut out the overhead that the big box stores carry. Especially if I can get it in a reasonable amount of time with shipping.

Backflush, surging, sounds an awful lot like fracking. My well water is a little hard, but very little sediment type stuff, and this sounds like I'd have to add a filtration system. Then talking about adding chemicals. I thought one of the draws of well water was getting away from that stuff. Seriously though I'll let them do what they need to do. I don't think that the water source is the problem, with the rain that we've been getting the last several years, I expect the water table has risen more than dropped. I think age got to it more than anything else, I've been here for almost 15 years and it hasn't been touched in that time. Some stuff I've been reading says that 15-20 years is a good service life for a pump.

The only one of those other questions I know is the approximate age as mentioned above. That is part of why I think it's a good idea to hire out the work this time.

Changes to the house? I intend to replace the plumbing and go tankless at some point, but that won't change the system demands. Single guy and I've already got two bathrooms. I do intend to build a shop that might get plumbed and add a few outdoor spigots. Even if I did add an outdoor kitchen and a half dozen bathrooms, I can only use one at a time so no additional water demand. From what I've been reading it wounds like even if I did up the demand the issue is more pressure than flow, and for that I'd need to add a booster pump in line.

There will be no swimming pool. If people want to play in the water, I'm not that far away from a river and it's a pretty nice one too.

I'd prefer to avoid financing anything. Will if necessary, but seriously try to avoid it. I have enough savings to install a new well if necessary and build one hell of an engine, but there would be little left if something else happened. I'd rather park the truck or let the engine slowly destroy itself for the next year than over extend or finance. I've got another block and rotating assembly to build, and I don't think it would come to that anyway. At worse I think I could pour in some 20W-50 and drive it for several years, the 50 years old FE is still running fine like that. Besides in about 6 months I'll have my current TSP loan paid off and can take another. I don't really consider that financing since it's borrowing against my retirement account, it does accrue interest, but that's desposited into my account as well.

@JoshT I did my well pump a couple years ago, wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated but the well was only about 9 years old and I knew the depth and HP and stuff... If unknown and iron pipe it would be a pain to pull up. Mine just had PVC and was only 80' deep, replaced the PVC with black poly, pretty straight forward.
Yeah, this one is about 20 years old from what I can tell. That's when it looks like this section of timber land was subdivided and the house was put on it in 2004 acording to county tax records. I bought it in 2008 and it hasn't been ouched since.

I ahve no idea what is down the well, we just pulled the cap and tested for power there. I'll know more tomorrow. I think the best course of action for this time is to pay for the job if possible. I think once I see what's down there I'll be able to do myself no problem in the future. Considering that this one lasted 20 years, I'm hoping it will be at least that long before I have to worry about it again.

LOVE the old school!!!’
@mtnrgr :iamwithstupid:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Went to local show my mechanic hosted. Alot of cool vehicles to look at.
Here is some more.
Thanks for sharing. IIRC one of the bigger annual local car shows is coming up in a few weeks. I'm not much of a photographer, but if I make it I'll have to try to get some pictures to share.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Well, I got back from the AVR in Georgia yesterday. We were able to get out on Friday and explore the area. Hit some FS roads.
There were about 5 or 6 Rangers and 2 or 3 Broncos. All 19+ models. Hope that I convinced them to join the forum. Most had no idea about it. I pulled in and backed up to the creek right in front of the arch so everyone could see the windshield banner, haha. Was a great show. Of course, I didn't win any of the raffle prizes, haha. My friend Paul won a Frontrunner storage box and a set of Go Rhino spring-loaded Rachel straps. They gave away 3 RTTs, a set of Icon beadlock wheels, 2 different awnings, a Dometic 40 quart fridge, and tons of other smaller items. If you're in the Georgia area, I would definitely check it out. David, who owns and operates Georgia Expeditions, is a fellow Ranger owner. Here's a few pictures. I'm horrible about leaving my phone at camp.
20240419_135818.jpg
20240419_135830.jpg
20240419_135916.jpg
20240420_132408.jpg
20240420_141051.jpg
20240420_141100.jpg
20240420_141105.jpg
20240420_141118.jpg
20240420_141123.jpg
20240418_202226.jpg
20240419_060953.jpg
20240418_202233.jpg

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I think the people that really need or should be using them have gotten used to them not being available and doing without, same with the handicap parking spots.
I was at the grocery store the other day, and there was a Maserati double parked in the handicap spots, with no permanent plate OR hang placard. Believe me, I looked. And they were taking up TWO spots!!

Well, I went into the store, made a call I had to make, and got what I needed.

When I came out with my groceries, there just happened to be a sheriff's deputy writing a ticket for the dude, who was visibly annoyed. Who would have thought! ;)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Georgia Expeditions
Never heard of them or this AVR event. Tried a google search and struck out as well. Got any more information or details. Not saying I'm going to do it, but would be interested in checking it out.

I was at the grocery store the other day, and there was a Maserati double parked in the handicap spots, with no permanent plate OR hang placard. Believe me, I looked. And they were taking up TWO spots!!

Well, I went into the store, made a call I had to make, and got what I needed.

When I came out with my groceries, there just happened to be a sheriff's deputy writing a ticket for the dude, who was visibly annoyed. Who would have thought! ;)
Good on ya! Problem is that around here they hand those tags and plates out like candy. Legally they meet the requirement to use those parking spots, morally and ethically they do not. Lot of people have them that don't really need them, or have them because of family members and abuse it.

Case in point the building I used to work in was a 1/2 mile walk from parking lot to building. With a doctor showing need it was possible to park within 100 yards of the building. One of the people working in building had a doctors note showing that that he had back problems which required parking close and had all sorts of restrictions that conveniently let him pick the nice jobs. Yet that same note somehow said that riding a motorcycle to work every day was the best thing in the world for his back, and we aren't talking about a Goldwing or Ultraglide either. Get away from work and his bad back never prevents him from doing anything.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Water is back working. Was a dead pump. They seem to think a nearby lightning strike in Saturday's thunderstorm is what did it in, I'm still wondering if it died the night before. Looks like it was installed in 2004 and it sounds like 20 years is about right for life expectancy anyway.

1 HP pump in a 160 foot well and the line coming up from the pump was PVC. Given enough time I we probably could have changed ourselves, but we would have had to find a way to pull up 20 foot sticks and separate them while hanging the pump. Also the pitless adapter was a little stuck, so would have been fighting that for a while trying to avoid breaking anything. They got the job done in 2 hours, but it would likely have taken us all day, if not two, by the time we made a couple of runs for parts.

Perhaps next time I'll be in a position to tackle it myself.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I did a 6.5 mile hike with the SAR pack today. I've run out of nooks and crannies to take in order to add distance. So, I guess it's time to fill the water bladder and try 3 miles with the extra 6.5 pounds and see how I do. The brings the pack up to about 44 pounds +/- a pound. 1 gallon of water is about 8.3 pounds and there is 128 ounces in a gallon. The water bladder holds 100 ounces. So, 6.5 pounds. Water is heavy.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Thanks Rick, the head was already hurting so you couldn't have made it any worse.

HD only sells one grade of submersible pump. Looks like same for Lowes, and they are probably both made by the same company. They only come with a 3 year warranty which I have little doubt that even the cheapest option off Amazon would outlive. Stuff like this, it's not so much going online for the cheapest, but to cut out the overhead that the big box stores carry. Especially if I can get it in a reasonable amount of time with shipping.

Backflush, surging, sounds an awful lot like fracking. My well water is a little hard, but very little sediment type stuff, and this sounds like I'd have to add a filtration system. Then talking about adding chemicals. I thought one of the draws of well water was getting away from that stuff. Seriously though I'll let them do what they need to do. I don't think that the water source is the problem, with the rain that we've been getting the last several years, I expect the water table has risen more than dropped. I think age got to it more than anything else, I've been here for almost 15 years and it hasn't been touched in that time. Some stuff I've been reading says that 15-20 years is a good service life for a pump.

The only one of those other questions I know is the approximate age as mentioned above. That is part of why I think it's a good idea to hire out the work this time.

Changes to the house? I intend to replace the plumbing and go tankless at some point, but that won't change the system demands. Single guy and I've already got two bathrooms. I do intend to build a shop that might get plumbed and add a few outdoor spigots. Even if I did add an outdoor kitchen and a half dozen bathrooms, I can only use one at a time so no additional water demand. From what I've been reading it wounds like even if I did up the demand the issue is more pressure than flow, and for that I'd need to add a booster pump in line.

There will be no swimming pool. If people want to play in the water, I'm not that far away from a river and it's a pretty nice one too.

I'd prefer to avoid financing anything. Will if necessary, but seriously try to avoid it. I have enough savings to install a new well if necessary and build one hell of an engine, but there would be little left if something else happened. I'd rather park the truck or let the engine slowly destroy itself for the next year than over extend or finance. I've got another block and rotating assembly to build, and I don't think it would come to that anyway. At worse I think I could pour in some 20W-50 and drive it for several years, the 50 years old FE is still running fine like that. Besides in about 6 months I'll have my current TSP loan paid off and can take another. I don't really consider that financing since it's borrowing against my retirement account, it does accrue interest, but that's desposited into my account as well.

Yeah, this one is about 20 years old from what I can tell. That's when it looks like this section of timber land was subdivided and the house was put on it in 2004 acording to county tax records. I bought it in 2008 and it hasn't been ouched since.

I ahve no idea what is down the well, we just pulled the cap and tested for power there. I'll know more tomorrow. I think the best course of action for this time is to pay for the job if possible. I think once I see what's down there I'll be able to do myself no problem in the future. Considering that this one lasted 20 years, I'm hoping it will be at least that long before I have to worry about it again.

@mtnrgr :iamwithstupid:
All understood, just one follow up point regarding surging and then needing a filter. It’s actually the opposite.

Right now, the soil around the well is the “filter.“ As the water flows through the ground, if there are any small particles carried with it, they get filtered out by the soil. Over time, the soil becomes less porous, and the flow is reduced. But it’s something you will never notice until it reaches a restriction point for your use.

It’s one of those unseen problems. As long as you don’t exceed a certain point, you would never know it’s slowly clogging up. Then, one day, it reaches the tipping point, and not only do you have a reduction in supply, it can get really bad really fast.

The surging flushes all that stuff out. The well driller will obviously run the well for a while after he does the surging, which should let all of that silty particulate stuff flush out.

If this didn’t make sense to you, let me know, and I can expand on it, but I think you get the idea

One last thought, there’s usually only two or three or four well drillers in any area. Talk to a couple of them, you may even find the driller who installed your well if it’s only 20 years old. The guys who have been working in the area for a while will probably know what’s going on with the wells where your house was built. It’s like any other institutional knowledge, it’s gained over time from working in the area.

I hope it all helps.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Thanks for sharing. IIRC one of the bigger annual local car shows is coming up in a few weeks. I'm not much of a photographer, but if I make it I'll have to try to get some pictures to share.
Can you provide details on that car show? I may run out if it’s not too far.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Water is back working. Was a dead pump. They seem to think a nearby lightning strike in Saturday's thunderstorm is what did it in, I'm still wondering if it died the night before. Looks like it was installed in 2004 and it sounds like 20 years is about right for life expectancy anyway.

1 HP pump in a 160 foot well and the line coming up from the pump was PVC. Given enough time I we probably could have changed ourselves, but we would have had to find a way to pull up 20 foot sticks and separate them while hanging the pump. Also the pitless adapter was a little stuck, so would have been fighting that for a while trying to avoid breaking anything. They got the job done in 2 hours, but it would likely have taken us all day, if not two, by the time we made a couple of runs for parts.

Perhaps next time I'll be in a position to tackle it myself.
What were the damages? If you don’t mind me asking? How much?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Well, I got back from the AVR in Georgia yesterday. We were able to get out on Friday and explore the area. Hit some FS roads.
There were about 5 or 6 Rangers and 2 or 3 Broncos. All 19+ models. Hope that I convinced them to join the forum. Most had no idea about it. I pulled in and backed up to the creek right in front of the arch so everyone could see the windshield banner, haha. Was a great show. Of course, I didn't win any of the raffle prizes, haha. My friend Paul won a Frontrunner storage box and a set of Go Rhino spring-loaded Rachel straps. They gave away 3 RTTs, a set of Icon beadlock wheels, 2 different awnings, a Dometic 40 quart fridge, and tons of other smaller items. If you're in the Georgia area, I would definitely check it out. David, who owns and operates Georgia Expeditions, is a fellow Ranger owner. Here's a few pictures. I'm horrible about leaving my phone at camp. View attachment 109862View attachment 109863View attachment 109864View attachment 109865View attachment 109866View attachment 109867View attachment 109868View attachment 109869View attachment 109870View attachment 109871View attachment 109872View attachment 109873
Ditto, please post the details. I’m not much of a camper, but I might run out for a day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals