• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
well I attended the last part of a home inspection for a house I am buying (pending results of said inspection)... The electrical... omg... got some issues.

background info... house was built in 1960. most stuff has been updated here and there throughout the 64 years. New in 2020 or 2021, 200 amp electrical panel. most lights and ceiling fans within the last 25 years or so, some outlets in the bedrooms are the origininal two wire outlets. Bathrooms have been remodeled, kitchen remodeled, both with GFCI outlets. Utility room has been moved from a closet to a bedroom on the other side of the wall of said closet. plumbing is updated and in good repair. Roof is almost done, will need to be replaced in 3 or 4 years. Garage is freaking awesome.

1. No ground for any of the electricalsystem (new 200 amp main panel and they didn't freakin' ground it?!?!)
2. several junctions are not in boxes in the attic.
3. a couple non working outlets, couple of switches that do nothing.. possibly part of the original wiring that was partially updated and now no longer used but still in the walls
4. one wire in the attic is rubbing on a nail and part of the insulation is worn through (can we say "fire")
a few other electrical issues,

a bunch of stupid crap that I can fix but just annoying such as some door trim that needs replaced due to rot at the bottom of it, and two doors do not close well. both are modern doors and worst case I can chuck them and put a new door in for a couple hundred, and one of the two I might just be able to re shim it and install it correctly after fixing the flooring that one of the owners kids so thoughtfully replaced and botched the job...

Vapor barrier in crawlspace needs replaced.

most of the stuff is little stuff but annoying. going to go back to the Sellers and ask that they get the electrical items fixed by a licensed electrician and give me a couple grand toward teh eventual replacement of the roof... but electricians out there looking at you, @ericbphoto lol

Plumbing and septic/ well seem to be ok otherwise I would call @Jim Oaks to help with the plumbing since he has some hella experience in the matter :)

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
well I attended the last part of a home inspection for a house I am buying (pending results of said inspection)... The electrical... omg... got some issues.

background info... house was built in 1960. most stuff has been updated here and there throughout the 64 years. New in 2020 or 2021, 200 amp electrical panel. most lights and ceiling fans within the last 25 years or so, some outlets in the bedrooms are the origininal two wire outlets. Bathrooms have been remodeled, kitchen remodeled, both with GFCI outlets. Utility room has been moved from a closet to a bedroom on the other side of the wall of said closet. plumbing is updated and in good repair. Roof is almost done, will need to be replaced in 3 or 4 years. Garage is freaking awesome.

1. No ground for any of the electricalsystem (new 200 amp main panel and they didn't freakin' ground it?!?!)
3. a couple non working outlets, couple of switches that do nothing.. possibly part of the original wiring that was partially updated and now no longer used but still in the walls
4. one wire in the attic is rubbing on a nail and part of the insulation is worn through (can we say "fire")

a bunch of stupid crap that I can fix but just annoying such as some door trim that needs replaced due to rot at the bottom of it, and two doors do not close well. both are modern doors and worst case I can chuck them and put a new door in for a couple hundred, and one of the two I might just be able to re shim it and install it correctly after fixing the flooring that one of the owners kids so thoughtfully replaced and botched the job...

Vapor barrier in crawlspace needs replaced.

most of the stuff is little stuff but annoying. going to go back to the Sellers and ask that they get the electrical items fixed by a licensed electrician and give me a couple grand toward teh eventual replacement of the roof... but electricians out there looking at you, @ericbphoto lol

Plumbing and septic/ well seem to be ok otherwise I would call @Jim Oaks to help with the plumbing since he has some hella experience in the matter :)

AJ
Well, if there’s illegal splices and damaged wiring noticed, plus the dead switches and outlets indicate to me that there are plenty more issues that can’t be seen until you start opening up walls. It’s gonna be a huge project, probably needs a whole re-wire. My buddy bought a house that has the same issues. Had a pretty good feedback on the neutral and it wasn’t long before we found our first illegal buried splice. Soon as we found that I said there’s gonna be a lot more of that and there has been. I’ve lost count of the illegal wiring hacked in that we’ve found and all we did was open up the basement ceiling (there was strips of 3/8” plasterboard tacked up to hide all sorts of problems). Someone also put a 20 amp breaker on a 14 gauge wire. Gonna take it one room at a time, gut the electrical and fix it right. It’s a huge and expensive project which is why a lot of people hack it in.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Old houses are always a mess with the wiring. 70 years of additions and updates. One of the big reasons I avoided residential work when I got out of school.

Don't envy that.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Went and looked at a 2011 F250 today to replace my totaled dodge.
6.2L V8 with the Flex fuel single cab long bed stripper. 170K miles
Not nearly as nice of a truck as the dodge, but in budget. $4500.00 and no rust to be seen.
Body is a little bit banged up, but it was a fleet truck. Spent it's life towing around an air compressor.

Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the Auto trans, but for the price seem too good to pass. For what tucks go for around here.

Let me know if anyone has some opinions on the 6.2L. From what I've seen they are pretty reliable engines.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Speaking of which - finished adding more outlets to the master bathroom per request of the wife.

What a pain - finding a route to run wire through the wall and into the basement and then wire/conduit back to the outdoor junction box. I do use plastic conduit - yeah wimpy compared to metal but I can do it. (and I hate Romex)

Also wired in a new ground fault protector to feed these outlets - which flat did not work! Luckily I had a spare.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like a mess.

1. The electrical system may be grounded at the meter base. Is there a ground wire coming out of the meter and going down to a ground rod? If so, that is usually adequate. There needs to be a green ground bonding screw in the neutral bar in the breaker panel that connects the neutral to ground.

2. Those definitely need to be fixed. But that's usually simple to do.

3. All abandoned stuff, wiring and devices, should be removed, even if just to remove confusion about "is this hot or not?"

4. The wire rubbing on the nail should be an easy fix.

As someone else mentioned, these issues point to the probability that there is more. Be wary, very, very wary.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I got a line on 13 medical oxygen tanks for little money, going to look now. I think they are “E” tanks. What do you guys think I could do with these things? I’m not planning on using them for compressed gas.

IMG_1485.jpeg

If they are “E“ tanks, they’re too small to split and put a bottle of Jack Daniels inside.

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
They’re all mine for 100 bucks. 14 E cylinders, one D jumbo/M22, two carts, three regulators, and two boxes full of who knows what.

All visions and suggestions welcome.

And a stainless rack for 12 of them

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a line on 13 medical oxygen tanks for a little money, going to look now. I think they are “E” thanks. What do you guys think I could do with these things? I’m not planning on using them for compressed gas.

View attachment 108082

If they are “E“ tanks, they’re too small to split and put a bottle of Jack Daniels inside.

Make them into Bells and sell them.

Go on the internet and search pictures of tank bells. Real popular art thing people do.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
They’re all mine for 100 bucks. 14 E cylinders, one D jumbo/M22, two carts, three regulators, and two boxes full of who knows what.

All visions and suggestions welcome.

And a stainless rack for 12 of them
I'm thinking mini kegs for the trailer project.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make a rocket.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what PSI?

extended use for air rifles on range day? :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals