• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Starting to accept the ugly truth about my V8 swap. That being the engine probably isn't in as good of shape as I thought. Both engines I ahve are 180k mile engines and I picked what I thought was the better condition off the two. I planned from the start to change the oil after a couple hundred miles so clean it out, so I started out with super cheap (Walmart Super Tech) 10w-30 oil and filter. Well after getting nice and warmed up on a long drive the guage started dancing at idle. Super Cheap oil, so not surprised. Well I changed the oil monday with better Halvoline 10w-30 High-Mileage, read something about highmileage possibly being on thicker end of spec, and a better filter. Still getting the gauge dancing at idle after a 30 mile drive. FWIW this was on a high 80s or 90 drgree day. While driving and when cool the gauge is rock solid, not that it means much since the gauge is essentially an on/off switch.

Given mileage and age, I'm going to put in a new oil pressure sensor and see if it persists. If it does I'm going to step up to a heavier grade oil and see what happens. I'm running 20w-50 in my FE to get good pressure due to wear. If I can run 15w or 20w in this and get through a year or two I would like it. I thinking that building the spare engine is going to happen sooner than later.

Yeah, I’m starting to organize notes. I have some notebooks that I’m starting to fill with part numbers. I‘m getting to where I’ve changed so much stuff on so many vehicles that it gets hard to keep track of it all in my head.
I need to do that too. Was going to make and keep a little notebook in the glove box of each of the projects with important info, part numbers, and modifications. Started it on the F-100, but it never made it into the glovebox and I'm not sure where it is now.

Just your average wednesday...

View attachment 109475
That reminds me, I need to top off the trans fluid from having the radiator out.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Starting to accept the ugly truth about my V8 swap. That being the engine probably isn't in as good of shape as I thought. Both engines I ahve are 180k mile engines and I picked what I thought was the better condition off the two. I planned from the start to change the oil after a couple hundred miles so clean it out, so I started out with super cheap (Walmart Super Tech) 10w-30 oil and filter. Well after getting nice and warmed up on a long drive the guage started dancing at idle. Super Cheap oil, so not surprised. Well I changed the oil monday with better Halvoline 10w-30 High-Mileage, read something about highmileage possibly being on thicker end of spec, and a better filter. Still getting the gauge dancing at idle after a 30 mile drive. FWIW this was on a high 80s or 90 drgree day. While driving and when cool the gauge is rock solid, not that it means much since the gauge is essentially an on/off switch.

Given mileage and age, I'm going to put in a new oil pressure sensor and see if it persists. If it does I'm going to step up to a heavier grade oil and see what happens. I'm running 20w-50 in my FE to get good pressure due to wear. If I can run 15w or 20w in this and get through a year or two I would like it. I thinking that building the spare engine is going to happen sooner than later.
So, just a thought. Maybe try pulling the cam sensor assembly out and check it over. It drives the oil pump and the sensor. I didn’t notice my gauge fluctuating but it may have. My assembly had some slop in it and after a few hundred miles it turned into a real problem with choking the engine under hard acceleration. Everything got a lot happier when I dropped a new assembly in.

I need to do that too. Was going to make and keep a little notebook in the glove box of each of the projects with important info, part numbers, and modifications. Started it on the F-100, but it never made it into the glovebox and I'm not sure where it is now.
I won’t keep my books in the vehicles. I tried that years ago and it lasted until a mouse used it to make a home in the glove box one winter. Mine stay together at home and they are all the same and all labeled. If I need to take one with me, it gets stuck in my sort of go-bag (someone will probably make a wisecrack about a murse I’m sure, but hear me out). I have a bag that goes with me most places. I got tired of jumping in a vehicle and going somewhere and needing something that was in a different truck or at home. So my bag has band aids, tape measure, notepad, business cards, 11 in 1 screwdriver, day planner, charging cables and adapters, cigar cutter and lighter, and just a collection of commonly needed things plus a place to tuck my tablet. That way, no matter what rig I decide to take, I know I’m gonna have certain things with me. I don’t really usually keep anything in my glove boxes if I can help it because I’ve had too many issues with mice making it a home. So the bag is basically a portable glove box to me plus a few things and I don’t have to worry about mice shredding something because it goes in wherever I stay. Just keeps things neat and organized.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had to swap the synchronizer from one block to the other due to sensor differences. I don't recall there being any slop or abnormal wear, but I wasn't looking for that either. The gauge doesn;t show an issue under acelleration, load, or any time off idle, just when warm at idle. Also does not seem to have an ignition issue.

I'm not going to give you crap about the bag. I've got a sling bag that goes in which ever vehicle I'm in and I carry into work for the same reason. Used to have a lot of stuff in it like chargers, glucose meter, battery pack, and other stuff when I was working in a tool box. Now I'm riding a desk and can keep most of that stuff there, but still carry around the tablet that I use as an e-reader, ear buds, and other odd items that would otherwise fill my pockets. It'd have a bang stick in it too, but since I work on a federal installation, that isn't a good idea.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
So, just a thought. Maybe try pulling the cam sensor assembly out and check it over. It drives the oil pump and the sensor. I didn’t notice my gauge fluctuating but it may have. My assembly had some slop in it and after a few hundred miles it turned into a real problem with choking the engine under hard acceleration. Everything got a lot happier when I dropped a new assembly in.

I won’t keep my books in the vehicles. I tried that years ago and it lasted until a mouse used it to make a home in the glove box one winter. Mine stay together at home and they are all the same and all labeled. If I need to take one with me, it gets stuck in my sort of go-bag (someone will probably make a wisecrack about a murse I’m sure, but hear me out). I have a bag that goes with me most places. I got tired of jumping in a vehicle and going somewhere and needing something that was in a different truck or at home. So my bag has band aids, tape measure, notepad, business cards, 11 in 1 screwdriver, day planner, charging cables and adapters, cigar cutter and lighter, and just a collection of commonly needed things plus a place to tuck my tablet. That way, no matter what rig I decide to take, I know I’m gonna have certain things with me. I don’t really usually keep anything in my glove boxes if I can help it because I’ve had too many issues with mice making it a home. So the bag is basically a portable glove box to me plus a few things and I don’t have to worry about mice shredding something because it goes in wherever I stay. Just keeps things neat and organized.
I admire a man who is confident, sure footed, and comfortable enough with his sexuality, regardless of his preferences, to carry something fashionable for his daily needs. Car people always have to have the attention to detail and insight to make sure it blends with both the outfit and the car that will be driven that day. Something flashy for a sports car, sparkly for a night out, or utilitarian, but smart, for the trip in a truck.

As regards content, I didn’t see an extra pair of underwear. Remember, mother always said we should be ready in case we had to go to the doctor. And we know from public school that a Trojan or two isn’t a bad idea either.

(you didn’t think I was going to be able to resist this, did you?)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Had to swap the synchronizer from one block to the other due to sensor differences. I don't recall there being any slop or abnormal wear, but I wasn't looking for that either. The gauge doesn;t show an issue under acelleration, load, or any time off idle, just when warm at idle. Also does not seem to have an ignition issue.

I'm not going to give you crap about the bag. I've got a sling bag that goes in which ever vehicle I'm in and I carry into work for the same reason. Used to have a lot of stuff in it like chargers, glucose meter, battery pack, and other stuff when I was working in a tool box. Now I'm riding a desk and can keep most of that stuff there, but still carry around the tablet that I use as an e-reader, ear buds, and other odd items that would otherwise fill my pockets. It'd have a bang stick in it too, but since I work on a federal installation, that isn't a good idea.
Just figured I’d bring it up, I had to swap mine and it seemed a little worn but I thought it would be ok for awhile. Mine wasn’t. Since it also drives the oil pump, I thought maybe it might be worth another look.

Yeah, pretty much how my bag get used. Hold all the stuff a modern world requires, lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I admire a man who is confident, sure footed, and comfortable enough with his sexuality, regardless of his preferences, to carry something fashionable for his daily needs. Car people always have to have the attention to detail and insight to make sure it blends with both the outfit and the car that will be driven that day. Something flashy for a sports car, sparkly for a night out, or utilitarian, but smart, for the trip in a truck.
I don’t carry it except between trucks and wherever I’m staying and I really don’t care about blending fashion or any of that nonsense. What I use is actually supposed to be a range bag for shooting. All the pockets help keep everything organized to a degree. Range bag = masculine

As regards content, I didn’t see an extra pair of underwear. Remember, mother always said we should be ready in case we had to go to the doctor. And we know from public school that a Trojan or two isn’t a bad idea either.
I wear a Kilt at times, do you really think I worry about spare underwear?

:buttkick:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

That's my bag. My normal dress is a t-shirt and blue jeans. I don't own a sports car, or do nights out. My trucks are in my sig. I'd say you got it about right on the fashion, but you seem to know too much the contents.

:annoyed:

Might have to cancel the party cart and use the centerpiece for its original purpose.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

That's my bag. My normal dress is a t-shirt and blue jeans. I don't own a sports car, or do nights out. My trucks are in my sig. I'd say you got it about right on the fashion, but you seem to know too much the contents.

:annoyed:

Might have to cancel the party cart and use the centerpiece for its original purpose.
Personally, I use a PSI (engineering) over the shoulder satchel briefcase.

I was expecting somebody to comment that my “baggage” need is so large, that I have to drag a casket around behind me, not just carry a murse!

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The rear brakes had just started making a scraping noise, so this morning I replaced the rear disc brake pads on both sides. The inner pad on the passenger's side was worn out, which was the cause of the noise. I caught it in time and was (knock on wood) able to reuse the rear discs. The job was a PITA because there are tricks to getting the rear caliper clear of the disc that I had to figure out as I went. The rear isn't as simple as changing the front pads normally is.

The parking-brake shoes looked good.

The new-car dealer from whom I bought the truck 3 years ago claimed the brakes had been replaced front and rear before sale. Today the rear pads looked as though they were the originals Ford put on in St. Paul.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The rear brakes had just started making a scraping noise, so this morning I replaced the rear disc brake pads on both sides. The inner pad on the passenger's side was worn out, which was the cause of the noise. I caught it in time and was (knock on wood) able to reuse the rear discs. The job was a PITA because there are tricks to getting the rear caliper clear of the disc that I had to figure out as I went. The rear isn't as simple as changing the front pads normally is.

The parking-brake shoes looked good.

The new-car dealer from whom I bought the truck 3 years ago claimed the brakes had been replaced front and rear before sale. Today the rear pads looked as though they were the originals Ford put on in St. Paul.
Based on my experience with the 2011, 3-4 years is about normal for changing them.

The 2019 is an improvement. It's due for it's first change now. Almost 5 years out of that set.

ITSA 7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Santa's elf that drives a big brown delivery truck stopped at my house today and left me a custom driveshaft for my Ranger. Maybe I will be able to install it this weekend. It is a shame that something that looks that good has to go under the truck and be out of sight.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Santa's elf that drives a big brown delivery truck stopped at my house today and left me a custom driveshaft for my Ranger. Maybe I will be able to install it this weekend. It is a shame that something that looks that good has to go under the truck and be out of sight.
Well, it doesn't HAVE to, but they do typically work better there. It doesn;t have to be out of sight either. :icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals