• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Last week I drug the '90 Ranger to the sand dunes to play for a few days. It went well, the one front U joint I didn't change is worn out, it's grinding pretty good... and the over 100 miles of hard driving didn't do the radius arm bushings any favors since they were worn the heck out well before I loaded it up :). There's some rough clunking that sounds like the body bushings but they seem tight? I'll pressure wash the thing and look into it, I'll look into when the next adventure will be and might just make new radius arms and transmission mount bracket like I've been meaning to do for years...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Too common of a story today. Too many think they’re entitled, and they’re doing the boss a favor, if he would be gracious enough to employ them. No concept of who the real customer is, nor ethics, nor expertise. It’s actually scary.

On a personal note, I don’t see why anyone would have to get forceful letting you know they think you’re an idiot. Some things are….

Wait a minute, scratch that last part.
I had a counter guy at a junk yard try to tell me I was an idiot when I called him out on getting me an axle with 3.73 gears when I specifically asked for 4.10 gears. Needless to say, I never went back after I got the axle I asked for.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Can’t think of which one that would be. I will say to steer well clear of Shultz Ford. I can give you a pile of reasons why.
It's not Shultz, though I do have to deal with them indirectly if I order anything from Ford Parts online.

Whatever the name is of the one in Moon is the one close to work.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Indeed.

Oh, I’ve been guilty of being an idiot before. But some yahoo working behind a counter slinging parts for just above minimum wage trying to tell someone who has tore these trucks down to the frame and put them back together again that I don’t have a clue what I’m working with, well, that’s really, really dumb. I should have spoke up when the part numbers looked familiar to the ones I had used on my F-150. But that would have just sped up the process of arguing with an idiot who’s going to try and tell someone who knows better that the computer is right and they are wrong.
This is why, whenever I go to the chain parts stores, I do my research beforehand and have the part number(s) I need ready. Then I show up, ask for the part number, and if they try to tell me I'm wrong or they need to confirm I just calmly but firmly restate that I want this part with this PN, please get it for me. That generally shuts them up.

If they still tell me that they need to confirm or that it is wrong, I just either say "Hey, I want the part even if you think it is wrong, I accept responsibility if it doesn't fit" or I just leave.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When I need a tube, I’m not getting on Amazon and waiting a couple days. I’m picking up the phone and making a call and usually within an hour it’s there. Also the closest Carquest is 45 minutes away. I have 5 other parts store options 10-15 minutes away, so it makes zero sense to travel. One delivers to me. Time is valuable, so it’s what’s easily accessible.
I keep some on hand and get a replacement tube when it gets low. So far I've bought it from the dealer but that may change, the dealer I worked for has changed ownership twice since 2017 and their new parts manager has a GM background and can't find his backside with both hands.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This is why, whenever I go to the chain parts stores, I do my research beforehand and have the part number(s) I need ready. Then I show up, ask for the part number, and if they try to tell me I'm wrong or they need to confirm I just calmly but firmly restate that I want this part with this PN, please get it for me. That generally shuts them up.

If they still tell me that they need to confirm or that it is wrong, I just either say "Hey, I want the part even if you think it is wrong, I accept responsibility if it doesn't fit" or I just leave.
Oh, I often went in with part numbers because I change so much stuff. Then I’d get into an argument because I’d give them the part number and they would insist on year/make/model even after I’d tell them they don’t need that information so I’d do something like “it’s a 1989 Bronco II 2wd with a motor out of a 90-something Ranger/Explorer, front axle out of a 92 Explorer, rear out of an 86 Bronco II, converted to 4x4, lifted, shocks out of who knows what and a bunch of custom stuff. That all fit in your little box? No, then shut up and go find my part.”

I don’t have to deal with that on the commercial side, the guy that is in charge of it has known me and what I do for the last like 15 years and the rest of them have figured it out by now, so they don’t question it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I keep some on hand and get a replacement tube when it gets low. So far I've bought it from the dealer but that may change, the dealer I worked for has changed ownership twice since 2017 and their new parts manager has a GM background and can't find his backside with both hands.
Oh, I keep stuff on hand and try to maintain a stock of common use stuff, but still sometimes I’m in the middle of a project and things happen. Just a lot easier for me to make a call and take what they sell.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Oh, I often went in with part numbers because I change so much stuff. Then I’d get into an argument because I’d give them the part number and they would insist on year/make/model even after I’d tell them they don’t need that information so I’d do something like “it’s a 1989 Bronco II 2wd with a motor out of a 90-something Ranger/Explorer, front axle out of a 92 Explorer, rear out of an 86 Bronco II, converted to 4x4, lifted, shocks out of who knows what and a bunch of custom stuff. That all fit in your little box? No, then shut up and go find my part.”

I don’t have to deal with that on the commercial side, the guy that is in charge of it has known me and what I do for the last like 15 years and the rest of them have figured it out by now, so they don’t question it.
I should start doing this, especially if I end up doing a v8 swap- give them entirely too much info and that will make them be quiet. I like how you roll!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
But some yahoo working behind a counter slinging parts for just above minimum wage trying to tell someone who has tore these trucks down to the frame and put them back together again that I don’t have a clue what I’m working with, well, that’s really, really dumb.
Those are everywhere. I've turned to O'Reilly for most of my parts even though it's slightly out of the way. That chain still has the same, but the store I typically go to hasn't a problem. It also helps that one of the counter girls is pretty cute. I can put up with a little more dumb stuff for a pretty face, but amazingly haven't had to. She might be cute and actually have a clue.

I had a counter guy at a junk yard try to tell me I was an idiot when I called him out on getting me an axle with 3.73 gears when I specifically asked for 4.10 gears. Needless to say, I never went back after I got the axle I asked for.
Went though the same once. Needed a fan shroud for a 4.0L Ranger. Called around all the junkyards in the area asking for one. I clarified that it had to be 4.0L, they said that had it. Went to pick up and it wasn't a 4.0L. They tried to feed me the line of "they're all the same", I didn't get the shround I asked for and never went back. Well, I guess I did recently. That salvage yard closed up a year or so ago and a pick-n-pull opened in the same location a few months ago. Same location, completely different management and operation.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
This is why I like Pull-A-Part or LKQ, you have complete control over what you pull and can hunt down exactly what you need.

The downside is they are always far away, in the slightly more rough part of town, or both. Small price to pay for not losing my braincells at the AZ parts counter though.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I just had a wild thought. If you guys are having all this trouble getting the parts you’re supposed to use for your trucks, why don’t you try what I do and just use what’s in the shed of miracles, on craigslist, or what you find at the garage sale?

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
I just had a wild thought. If you guys are having all this trouble getting the parts you’re supposed to use for your trucks, why don’t you try what I do and just use what’s in the shed of miracles, on craigslist, or what you find at the garage sale?
I’d love to have a shed of miracles…. But I still live with my parents (I’m only just out of HS) and my dad would probably not be thrilled.

When I have my own house, I totally will have a shed of miracles (or garage bay of miracles, we will see)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I should start doing this, especially if I end up doing a v8 swap- give them entirely too much info and that will make them be quiet. I like how you roll!
Make a preprinted list with all the upgrades and swaps and what year an model it's from. Throw that on the counter when they push back and say, "Ok Einstein. Tell me what part I need, or are you just going to get what I asked for?"

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Make a preprinted list with all the upgrades and swaps and what year an model it's from. Throw that on the counter when they push back and say, "Ok Einstein. Tell me what part I need, or are you just going to get what I asked for?"
Yeah, I’m starting to organize notes. I have some notebooks that I’m starting to fill with part numbers. I‘m getting to where I’ve changed so much stuff on so many vehicles that it gets hard to keep track of it all in my head.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals