• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Waterproofing!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey every time i hit a decent waterhole my truck wants to die!!! It used to die every time i would go trough a puddle at speed and i figured out it was a connector getting wet on my coil so i siliconed that up and its fine but, now every time i get though water over about 2 feet deep it will sputter and want to stall!! can anyone suggest anything i can do to help waterproof my rig??

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
ya i would like to know as well. i had big problems with my b2 after playing in the river, figured out it was wet connections as well.

i was told they make a spray that it used to waterproof connections and whatnot, but i havent been able to find it or do i know if it is worthy, hopefully someone here can point us in the right direction

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
actually its not the connectors getting wet that is the problem, your distributor cap is 'wicking' moisture. put di-electric grease in your sparkplug boots[both ends] and a small film of silacone around base of cap spray inside of cap with w-d40 put it back together, you're done. if you don't feel comfortable sealing your cap then just carry the w-d40, do the same thing, you just have to re-apply everytime you die

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
ok that makes sense.. i'll try that next time i get to play in the river... prob tomorrow after the 4in lift is on!!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
hey i cleaned up the connector going to my coil and sealed it with silicone and it helped alot, 2 days later i bought new plug wire from napa threw them on and i put on a cheap snorkle andi havent had any issues since. I have looked at my distributor ofter going through lots of water and its almost never wet! if i do ever have any issues with it i'll seal it up and i've used the W-d40 trick on a few other trucks i've owned, works like a charm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals