• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Waggy 44 or EB 44

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
What are the pros and cons of the Waggy 44 and EB 44 swap for a 2000 Ranger? Im starting to look around for parts for a future sas and have read a LOT about EB44 swaps just bc thats the route id figure id go and wanna keep it ranger width (most EB44 swaps ive read have been easier than any other swap)...both are ranger width right? waggy is 6 lug where EB is 5 right? should you swap in a 8.8 exploder rear or 9? Most of my wheeling is mall crawlin and dd back n forth from college until huntin season, then i beat it up, just wanted to achieve lift and tire size greater than what i can get conventionally and want the strength needed for the tires i want ( 37s eventually) and the slight wheelin i do...hell what would you do with it? and like im said im just collectin parts as i go...no rush into this wanna get it right!

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If you want to run 37s, you should go with a Dana 60.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Off the truck, the wagoneer 44 is stronger. Bigger ujoints. It is a tad wider than the EB 44. Somewhere between 1.5-2.5"s IIRC. Honestly, for a mall crawler, leave what you have.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
crank the t-cars and slap on a BL and call it a day...there are some guys out there that have that on other forums and they all say that they have real off road trucks

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
Off the truck, the wagoneer 44 is stronger. Bigger ujoints. It is a tad wider than the EB 44. Somewhere between 1.5-2.5"s IIRC. Honestly, for a mall crawler, leave what you have.
nah i want it higher than what i can get with a torsion crank, body and suspension...and even then i cant run the tire im wantin to eventually run

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
and im only mall crawling bout half the year, the other half im beating it up in the woods during huntin season and the occasional mud hole here and there...and plus a SAS is a great project to take on, i love working on cars and been wanting to just completely alter my truck for a while and SAS is much more up my alley

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd use the waggy diff in your setup as the majority of 98+ guys tend to use leafs vs. coils and the diff would already be setup for it. Also, in my experience the 6 lug pattern (if it is the regular 6 on 5.5) is far more common in newer wheels the the old standard 5 on 5.5. I'd swap an 8.8 as it'll have the VSS sensor to keep your ABS working and it'll bolt in. It may not be the strongest setup but if you don't beat on it, it should survive 37's under daily driving conditions.

-andrew

Last edited:

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
ok then you got the late 70s f100/150 D44...if i went that route, could narrow and just replace the axle shafts with a stronger solution...i think i read somewhere about blazer shafts ( on another website from another guys sas), i dunno i was just thinkin EB D44 bc of the ease of installment ive heard from other members...again im just spitballin but i am wanting to go SAS, not no SUPERLIFT or whatever SLIM pickings we 98-00 ranger owners have to choose from ,and definetly wanna run 37's

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
see i was wanting to run coils, but would it be easier for leafs? Just read that leafs were a pain in the arse, and you mean like an 8.8 outta what vehicle?

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
anyways ill take all the info bout anything i can get...im only about to start collecting parts soooo just researching it out b4 i spend money

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You can run either, and both will work well. The EB diff is closest to ranger width and the waggy is a lil wider. You should already have an 8.8", but I'd try and find a deal on one from a 95'+ explorer, as you'd gain bigger wheel bearings, disc brakes and 31 spline axles. Go with whatever you find cheapest/most complete and go from there. They're both good diffs and will work for you.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Waggy 44s done have wedges, just perches, so no dealing with that. On certain year ford d44s, the wedges are cast and can't be cut with out ruining the axle tubes.

Con to the Waggy is that most came with a 2.73:1 gear ratio. So re-gearing to match is needed.

If you're just mall crawlin and don't give a shit about performance, find yourself an old solid axle truck, and use the axles, steering, and suspension.

I bought a 79 bronco with no engine for 400 bucks, got a HP D44, 9", Molly shafts, already geared.

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
yea ...the most ill be doing it in is the occassional mud hole and itll get wheeled a lil during huntin season but right now its just gettin me back and to to class...i just wanna be like you guys :( lol...no offense to anyone but the hell with damn spending an ass of money on slight inches out of a suspension when i can build the shit! and i wanna say "look at that...yea that...that big blue bitch...i built that shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Why'd you bump? It looks like your question was already answered.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals