• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Volvo electric power steering pump

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well long story short, I did the Jeep Liberty power steering pump upgrade, and well the ford wine is gone, I loose steering pressure when at an idle and I have to keep on the throttle to keep the pressure up. I believe its just a cheap pump. It was very cheap off rock auto. It will not do enough pressure/flow to run Hydro assist. I already rebuild my box when I drilled and taped it for hydro assist. So I don't believe it is a box. But either way, I'm looking into this because I want to do this to my Diesel bronco II and go hydro boost. So I found a controller to make the volvo pump go 100% or whatever I want it at. I thought there was a guy on here that did it also? I didn't know what he did for a belt, but I think I got that figured out now. I'm going to run the AC delete pulley since I don't have A/c or will not have power steering. I can wrap my belt around that delete pulley. Should work anyways I think. Ill have to wait for parts to come in.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's odd about the other pump, even if its cheap, lol

Power Steering pumps are suppose to do highest pressure at lower RPMs and lowest pressure at higher RPMs
So you get more power assist in say a parking lot and less power assist, to none, at 60mph

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Yeah, I don't know, I'm not sure whats up with it. I really don't think its my box because, I rebuilt my box before I did the liberty pump. I didn't have these issues with the stock 4.0 pump. This was one of the first things I noticed after the liberty pump. I don't know for sure. My guess its a cheap pump, which it was, I don't know why I ordered the cheapest Eco one of rock auto but I did lol After some research, the liberty pump wasn't really an upgrade from the stock pump, If I had realized that, I wouldn't of went with it. But olwell. This volvo electric pump should be interesting. It should give me some Hp back, It will be interesting to have steering with just the key on also.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Well long story short, I did the Jeep Liberty power steering pump upgrade, and well the ford wine is gone, I loose steering pressure when at an idle and I have to keep on the throttle to keep the pressure up. I believe its just a cheap pump. It was very cheap off rock auto. It will not do enough pressure/flow to run Hydro assist. I already rebuild my box when I drilled and taped it for hydro assist. So I don't believe it is a box. But either way, I'm looking into this because I want to do this to my Diesel bronco II and go hydro boost. So I found a controller to make the volvo pump go 100% or whatever I want it at. I thought there was a guy on here that did it also? I didn't know what he did for a belt, but I think I got that figured out now. I'm going to run the AC delete pulley since I don't have A/c or will not have power steering. I can wrap my belt around that delete pulley. Should work anyways I think. Ill have to wait for parts to come in.
@PetroleumJunkie412

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Volvo one is easy for full electric. Big wires to battery, grey to ignition hot iirc.

Didn't know they made a controller now. Neat.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Going to start this project hopefully next week. It really shouldn't take long, but well find out I guess.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals