• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Volkswagen Forum recommend

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone give me a good VW forum recommend? Wifey's passat is playing hell.

If it helps any, it's a 2004 Passat 1.8T

Thanks,
Will

Chris M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Whale,
If you do fined one please let me know. I have been looking for the past 10 months. My bought my son a 1995 Cabrio to run back and forth to college. The only good tec data I can find is the alldata account I have.
You would think there be something like The Ranger Station for VW's.

Regards,
Chris M.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just pull the codes and post the problems here, you might get lucky. Many of the guys on here work on other vehicles that are not rbv's. I know the 1.8t's of that year had an issue with ignition systems, they recalled some of them and changed coils and modules.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use VWVortex a lot. Lots of good information for common issues on my 2005.5 Jetta.

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
I'm seeing the vortex one come up here and there. Also waiting to see what forum my neighbor used, he had a 02' Jetta.

This problem is sensor related, and not engine trouble.

The other problem with pulling codes is, after 12mph, the wheel sensors stop sending signal, which is the way they were designed, I'm told (shop called VW about this.) It's a real stumper.

At speed, raging between 60-70ish, the wheel will start to occilate, as if the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is trying to compensate for road conditions that aren't there. No idiot lights come up, nothing while it is happening.

Upon inspection, last time, one of the steering wheel sensors had scuffs on it, possibly indicating that it was not set to the right depth in relation to the exciter ring. I instructed the shop to replace both front wheel sensors. Problem has manifested again.

I'm not a "parts changer", and the shop isn't either but between our discussions, just couldn't arrive at any other conclusion.

I now have a stronger suspicion that the re-man half shafts are the culprit.

It should be noted that I did distincly hear a cyclical metal on metal noise while taking an easy off ramp right turn, coming from the passenger side. The wifey reported this noise the first time the problem happened.

I could rant about all these saftey / enhanced driving systems in modern cars, but I won't.

Thanks for the input sofar,
Will

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume you've checked things like wheel bearings and ball joints, it doesn't take much to upset some of these newer systems.

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
Everything seems tight up front. Outside of this problem, thing rides like a sheet of glass.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm kind of like you in thinking about the half-axles. I'm sure you know that CV joints start doing the clicking you are talking about when they're going bad. I had to replace the ones on my Maxima and the noise was quite distinct at low speeds and got worse the tighter the turning radius. While researching it, I also heard a number of horror stories about how cheapo rebuilds led to vibration problems at speed.

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
Just a follow-up on this, if anyone was interested...

The halfshafts were replaced with new VW units. The tone ring from reman to OEM micrometered at 80thousands different.

We were able to get the car to "act up" on command at certain speeds. When the new units were installed, we were not able to make that happen.

Wifey reports that the car has been running good since the work.

If I remember, I'll give maybe a 1 or 2 month followup.

Will

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kind of like you in thinking about the half-axles. I'm sure you know that CV joints start doing the clicking you are talking about when they're going bad. I had to replace the ones on my Maxima and the noise was quite distinct at low speeds and got worse the tighter the turning radius. While researching it, I also heard a number of horror stories about how cheapo rebuilds led to vibration problems at speed.
I hear ya. The bummer with these was they wern't wearing out or clicking. I think now that when "fresh" they exhibited the 59.5mph problem that was reported by other mechanics. Now that they've been on for a couple years, and have worn a bit, it started causing these more severe problems.

I guess it's only money, right?:sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals