• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Violent Shake

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or,,, you could get another frame and move the truck to it

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
Or,,, you could get another frame and move the truck to it
If I could get a section of the frame and weld it in I would do that, but replacing the entire frame would take too long. My wife needs something to drive now.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you could find a similar model that needs some TLC as yours did, you might come out by using the best parts of each truck

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
To me it sounds like the tread is separating from the tire. When the tire is cold and when the separation is just beginning, it’ll balance perfectly. As you ride down the road and the rubber heats up, the part that is starting to separate just swings out a touch further than the rest of the rubber, and it’s like putting a big wheel wait on one side.

There is a simple but tedious way to check it: take one tire off and put the spare on, and drive the truck. If it still does it, swap the next tire, etc. Obviously, when you swap the tire and it no longer shakes, that’s the bad guy.

A big, actually giant, caution. You can have the tiniest little bit of separation and get the violent shaking you have. Some people think “well, I’ll just go slow till I can get a new tire.” Figure it out and get it fixed ASAP, cause a hair later than the annoyance of the shaking, that tire will come apart violently, explosive with no warning, flapping big pieces. Literally. With every respect to the Ranger aficionados, when the tire comes apart it can take the fender and more with it.

That’s Rick’s advice today from the Vegas strip (no rangers here???).

Hope it helps.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To me it sounds like the tread is separating from the tire. When the tire is cold and when the separation is just beginning, it’ll balance perfectly. As you ride down the road and the rubber heats up, the part that is starting to separate just swings out a touch further than the rest of the rubber, and it’s like putting a big wheel wait on one side.

There is a simple but tedious way to check it: take one tire off and put the spare on, and drive the truck. If it still does it, swap the next tire, etc. Obviously, when you swap the tire and it no longer shakes, that’s the bad guy.

A big, actually giant, caution. You can have the tiniest little bit of separation and get the violent shaking you have. Some people think “well, I’ll just go slow till I can get a new tire.” Figure it out and get it fixed ASAP, cause a hair later than the annoyance of the shaking, that tire will come apart violently, explosive with no warning, flapping big pieces. Literally. With every respect to the Ranger aficionados, when the tire comes apart it can take the fender and more with it.

That’s Rick’s advice today from the Vegas strip (no rangers here???).

Hope it helps.
The guy on page one found his to be the frame separating from his steering ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals