• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vietnamesium lawn mowers

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I more did some general clean up and organizing the little bit of today i got to spend on such endeavors, organized the stuff that has to go back for warranty, did some calculations, and discovered some damage to the front axle in my Choptop. Particularly there’s a bend in the top and bottom flanges on the axle beam that I’m not sure right now if the beam is bent or if that was damage from grenading axle shaft yokes at the 20th anniversary ride. It isn’t recent damage, it’s roughly where things broke, and it doesn’t look like the radius arm or mount really took any damage. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have any other D-35’s not in use around. Got two and a half D-28’s sitting around though. Another if you count the parts truck. Might have to (as much as I’d rather not), straighten and reinforce that all when I tear into the ball joints and axle shafts.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Predator engine from harbor freight and be done with it, I put a predator on my 30 year old snapper in 2016 and it hasn't skipped a beat.
When you did your predator swap… did you also need to change the blade adaptor?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A $150 mower is a disposable mower. Like most things are these days.
Tip I was given a few years ago from the mower shop. Use Sta-Bil in the gas ALL the time, not just for winter storage. Small engines don't react well to the ethanol in gas. The ethanol evaporates faster than gas and gums up the carbs. I've not had any problems since I started doing that.
I have a Cub Cadet push mower I bought from the aforementioned mower shop because I know I can get it repaired and I know I can get parts. Which I did just last week, the lower handle broke near the frame and they had a replacement for me by the end of the week.

*Edit*
I get budgetary limitations, I narrowly avoided bankruptcy myself a few years ago and still paying off stuff from my business I sold at a loss, my money is still tight, and no I did not WANT to get a new truck but my old one needed expensive repairs that weren't worth it. Generally speaking if you buy better stuff that lasts longer you will spend less money in the end. But we don't always have the front money, I get that. Some years ago I got hip to buying Under Armor underwear. Now you might think that $18 for a pair of underwear is ridiculous but some of mine are 8 years old, been washed every week, and still look like new. Fruit Of The Looms were lucky to last me 6 months and the waistband was shot.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
When you did your predator swap… did you also need to change the blade adaptor?
no, I just swapped the one from the briggs that was on it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A $150 mower is a disposable mower. Like most things are these days.
Tip I was given a few years ago from the mower shop. Use Sta-Bil in the gas ALL the time, not just for winter storage. Small engines don't react well to the ethanol in gas. The ethanol evaporates faster than gas and gums up the carbs. I've not had any problems since I started doing that.
I have a Cub Cadet push mower I bought from the aforementioned mower shop because I know I can get it repaired and I know I can get parts. Which I did just last week, the lower handle broke near the frame and they had a replacement for me by the end of the week.

It’s not just budgetary. It’s getting frustrating. The first used one I paid $75, it didn’t run but tried. I took a chance and cleaned the carburetor and changed the spark plug. Ran just fine. Got halfway through my yard and had to leave, told my boys to take over. They broke the recoil starter….. can’t get it, not available. So I grafted the recoil from my old craftsman that needs rebuilt and the 30 yo plastic clips inside the starter failed. Parts not available from sears, have to buy the whole starter…. Fine, but it’s on back order….

Mean while, I have a code Nazi here that is worse than any HOA Karen…..

every decent ready to run used mower for sniped out from under me. I bought the powersmart new and it failed in 6 hours. Powersmart does not answer their phone or respond to emails. So I bought a used Husqvarna 625 that after replacing a cracked gas tank and junk carburetor (I don’t even know what they did to that but they ruined it) with genuine B&S parts…. It runs and runs good…. But it’s a little under powered. It stalls in thick grass.

So my plan (over time)
The pulsar will get a predator 173cc

I am getting a B&S professional series 10hp 223cc (all ready ordered, along with the entire drive assembly, bag, and side discharge chute) that will go on my old Craftsman because… well … I’ve had it for 20 years of loyal service and it deserves it

And since my $25 1990s model craftsman snow blower just needed a new spark plug carb clean…. I am going to put the powersmart engine on a go-cart…. That little 209cc is really powerful…. It cut through 12” deep grass fairly easily. My only complaint really is they don’t answer the phone so I can order parts.

I found a small 2cyl air cooled vertical shaft diesel to replace the 6000 hour dying Kawasaki engine on my rider…. And I also found a sealed rack and pinion to convert it to power steering.

To pay for all this and some necessary repairs to my S10…. I sold my Goldwing.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So this morning I wanted to get the push mower part of the lawn done before my doctors appointment (btw I have to have surgery to fix the ligaments, remove some scar tissue, and what left of the cyst on my tailbone) and the drive wheels on the Husqvarna locked up completely. Done with used and cheap…. Bought a commercial grade Toro self propelled (not the 23” cut because that’s twin blade with a belt drive, and not the push pace… just simple self propelled 21” cut.) 3 year warranty from a local shop…. Thus ending this Saga….

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I returned the powersmart lawnmower to Walmart (in store) but I could only get store credit…. So I used my $187.xx store credit to get a Hart 40v attachment capable weed trimmer/ brush cutter. Boy does it work so much better than my 20cc featherlite…. Like 1000% better. Straight shaft with a gear drive head…. I hope it works as well with a blade. Btw… the attachments from my uncle’s Troybilt work with it so I won’t have to buy attachments for a while. I fixed my Husqvarna, had some debris jammed in the wheels. So I am back on the hunt for an engine for the mower deck that will become our field mower.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I ever had to by a new push mower, I'm looking at a Badboy walk behind. Heavy duty as it gets, and made in USA. Run me a pretty penny I'm sure.

Right now I just keep welding my hyper tough mower back together. the B+S engine is gold.

Junk Honda riding mower sits in the garage until I can pawn it off on some unexpecting idiot. Bought a new carb for it, hopefully it will at least idle with that, and make it easier to get rid of.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If I ever had to by a new push mower, I'm looking at a Badboy walk behind. Heavy duty as it gets, and made in USA. Run me a pretty penny I'm sure.

Right now I just keep welding my hyper tough mower back together. the B+S engine is gold.

Junk Honda riding mower sits in the garage until I can pawn it off on some unexpecting idiot. Bought a new carb for it, hopefully it will at least idle with that, and make it easier to get rid of.
Dude… I was drooling on the bad boy Zero turn mowers when I bought my Toro yesterday…. Man I wish I could afford them. I think I’m just going to Kubota diesel repower my Husqvarna rider when the Kawasaki dies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals