• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vibration/shudder while under power

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2004 Ranger has a vibration/shudder while under power. Does not do it when coasting in neutral. It appears to be from the front, floorboards vibrate, etc. I jacked the entire front up and off the ground and checked as best as I could and didn't notice anything. I took it to my mechanic who is usually pretty good but I have a feeling he mailed this one in. He had it for 4 days and drove it around and said he could not notice or find anything. He said he crawled under and checked u-joints. I don't think he even put it on the lift. The owner/boss I think was on vacation. Its obviously there when you accelerate. They are normally competent. They installed the used engine I bought when I purchased the truck 6 years ago with a blown timing chain. The only code I pulled was the p0420 which has been on for 2 years. it feels a little bit like a bad wheel bearings but I don't think that is it. thoughts? TIA!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Auto or manual

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That sounds like torque converter shudder...assuming the U joints are tight....hows the trans fluid/color/level? Last time it had a filter change?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4WD... I've considered that maybe it's something in the 4WD. I've kept up on all maintenance. The only issue with the truck was/is the p0420 but since it is over 15 years old it passes inspection.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That sounds like torque converter shudder...assuming the U joints are tight....hows the trans fluid/color/level? Last time it had a filter change?
Hhhmmm, interesting..... Truck has 184k I bought it with 137k w/bad timing chain. Looks like tranny fluid was changed at 120k but don't know if filter was changed. It has a separate tranny cooler. Fluid is pink
/red and still spells like tranny fluid. Not burnt at all.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just ordered a wix filter. I think I'll do a fluid exchange. It's due for one. I have a Walmart 2 miles away. Will Mercon V ST work or is there something better. I do dislike Walmart. Thoughts.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Mercon V should be just fine.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mercon V should be just fine.
update: it appears to be much better:
wallys world was out of transmission fluid. Oreilys wanted $93 for 12 quarts of maxlife. I decided to just go to Valvoline. I am fully aware of the perils of the tranny flush. I was out the door with 10 freash quarts of maxlife in 30 minutes for $150.07. truck runs much better. I have a wix filter kit showing up. maybe ill drop the pan and change it and add 3 new quarts. if she blows she blows. I have another car and I am hoping to get 2 years and about 12k miles out of her. I ordered a cybertruck. hope its ready for me in 2 years. while i was waiting at Vavlvoline the crv in the bay next to me was getting a tranny fluid exchange and right when mine was done the another car in the same bay next to me was getting one. 3 in 30 minutes. its been about 90 degrees around here for a few weeks, that night of added to my issue. thanks for the help Rusty.!!!!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
update: it appears to be much better:
wallys world was out of transmission fluid. Oreilys wanted $93 for 12 quarts of maxlife. I decided to just go to Valvoline. I am fully aware of the perils of the tranny flush. I was out the door with 10 freash quarts of maxlife in 30 minutes for $150.07. truck runs much better. I have a wix filter kit showing up. maybe ill drop the pan and change it and add 3 new quarts. if she blows she blows. I have another car and I am hoping to get 2 years and about 12k miles out of her. I ordered a cybertruck. hope its ready for me in 2 years. while i was waiting at Vavlvoline the crv in the bay next to me was getting a tranny fluid exchange and right when mine was done the another car in the same bay next to me was getting one. 3 in 30 minutes. its been about 90 degrees around here for a few weeks, that night of added to my issue. thanks for the help Rusty.!!!!
No problem.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fyi: transmission got better as I put miles on it. Right now it is pretty smooth. I know ATF is a good detergent, maybe its cleaning it up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals