• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vertical welding on a C channel frame. Fact or fiction.

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why is everyone against vert up welds? Sure they are harder but they are not that hard. I can vert up and down with a stick welder. Saying that you will weaken the frame and crack it, and welding on it is bad.

How are people supposed to put a cage in without welding to the frame? Velcro?

I welded on cast iron. On my 280zxt I welded a t4 flange on top of the t3 flange. I did heat the thing up with a torch before I welded it.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Rocks, some people are just scared. They hear stories or myths about welding and take them to heart. When i need something welded i call a buddy that is a welder by trade and let him do it. He needs a part machined then he calls me. Works out.

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The frame should be mild steel. The only way I could see it cracking is if you welded to the very edges of it and tried to support something there. If you are worried about shocking the metal with heat then you can heat it up with a torch before you weld it.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I think what the discussion was about vertical down welding strength. As I said before, it's the easiest and fasted way to weld in a tight spot, but it's also the weakest of all the welding positions. It just piles up the molten metal without 100% penetration. Certain parts can be done down hand by a professional, but only by a professional.

If it's a load-bearing item, then vertical up is the only way to go, end of story, unless you want to flip the truck on it's side and do a flat weld, then be my guest.:D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From Ford's Body Builder's Guide:
4. Do not weld on frame flanges, including the bend radii.
There's more, if you follow the link. They also have a guide, with pictures, on how to extend the frames and it does use fish plates. I have a copy somewhere, but I got it online.

And I scanned everything I have about frames. The International manual is for heavy trucks so the frames can be a lot different, but it's got some useful general info. The Ranger manual has the least amount of info.

Last edited:

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why is everyone against vert up welds? Sure they are harder but they are not that hard. I can vert up and down with a stick welder. Saying that you will weaken the frame and crack it, and welding on it is bad.

How are people supposed to put a cage in without welding to the frame? Velcro?

I welded on cast iron. On my 280zxt I welded a t4 flange on top of the t3 flange. I did heat the thing up with a torch before I welded it.
The original question of strength is not in regards to any particular welding method, but rather in regards to any potential change in ductility or brittleness of the frame material if you were to weld a part vertically from flange to flange "across" the frame spar.

Welding to a frame or not is not the issue, its going to happen in fabrication anyway. The issue is the way you go about it and how it will affect the strength of the final product.

When i need something welded i call a buddy that is a welder by trade and let him do it.
The problem is, there is disagreement on the subject even among professional welders. Some say it wont effect it at all, others say its subtle nuances in your method that might affect strength, some say it might change the strength but not any appreciable amount, then others will say you're just setting yourself up for a catastrophic frame failure. How much should be chalked up to uninformed fearmongering or first hand experience is up in the air. I'm leaning towards the 'certain precautions should be taken, not as severe as they make it out to be' line of thought.

From Ford's Body Builder's Guide: There's more, if you follow the link. They also have a guide, with pictures, on how to extend the frames and it does use fish plates. I have a copy somewhere, but I got it online.

And I scanned everything I have about frames. The International manual is for heavy trucks so the frames can be a lot different, but it's got some useful general info. The Ranger manual has the least amount of info.
Thanks for the pages Will, those are very relevant and helpful.:icon_cheers:

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In hindsight wielding vertical arc up is easy but my instructor let us learn our selves so it took a while to get it down but was fun once I learned it.

cwilkinson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I live by 6010 7018 for a weld that I need to depend on

Just keep that 7018 dry and in a rod oven and it'll weld 10x better for you

You can't go with the squirt gun of all welders, the dual shield :p
Alot easier to weld with and faster and imo just as strong

At the fabshop I work at we run the pipepro's from miller running a shortarc and a pulse/spray and I'm constantly seeing 2-3 yearold welds out in the field already leaking I wouldn't weld anything I needed to depend on with a car body welder I mean Mig setup

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals