• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve cover sealant-what type?

blackbelair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've always liked this gasket sealer called Indian Head. When I bought it, it came in a small brown glass bottle with an indian head on the label. The screw cap has a liquid shoe polish type of applicator attached to it. I think it is great stuff.

Jimbo's-mule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter V6 "Cologne"
Transmission
Manual
I bought an 89 Bronco II V6 XLT about three weeks ago. The original owner
let the valve covers leak since 2001 (according to the records). It was leaking pretty bad, so the first thing I did was bought a set of Fel pro cork gaskets ( a wopping $11.23 at my favorite local auto supply) and after about 30 minutes per side of cleaning the petrified and leaky gaskets off. I put these cork ones on without anything else ( My dad has always said don't use sealant unless you absolutly have to, and even then only very little ) So again I didn't use any. I put the new ones on without really torqueing down...snug tight but didn't crank the fasteners down. Absolutely no leaks and has already burned all the oil that had leaked down on the exhaust manifolds. My suggestion is to use a quarter inch drive rachet and a 10mm socket, because you can feel how much your toqueing them. If you use a 3/8or 1/2 inch drive you can easily overtorque the fasteners.:word: :fie:

Just my three cents....

Hope this helps.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
I bought an 89 Bronco II V6 XLT about three weeks ago. The original owner
let the valve covers leak since 2001 (according to the records). It was leaking pretty bad, so the first thing I did was bought a set of Fel pro cork gaskets ( a wopping $11.23 at my favorite local auto supply) and after about 30 minutes per side of cleaning the petrified and leaky gaskets off. I put these cork ones on without anything else ( My dad has always said don't use sealant unless you absolutly have to, and even then only very little ) So again I didn't use any. I put the new ones on without really torqueing down...snug tight but didn't crank the fasteners down. Absolutely no leaks and has already burned all the oil that had leaked down on the exhaust manifolds. My suggestion is to use a quarter inch drive rachet and a 10mm socket, because you can feel how much your toqueing them. If you use a 3/8or 1/2 inch drive you can easily overtorque the fasteners.:word: :fie:

Just my three cents....

Hope this helps.
yeah but then after a few months the cork burns and it dumps oil all over again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals