• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vacuum lines and smog

baconops89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought an 85 ranger 4x4 with the 2.8 in it and i noticed after i bought it that a few of the vacuum lines had been cut off. some come off the carb but some go to the electronics mounted near the starter solenoid. Mostly i just want this thing to pass smog. I live in CA but the county i live in I only need to smog it once, not the usual once every two years. If anyone has any knowledge on what the bare minimum would be for this truck to pass smog regarding to all of those vacuum lines it would be greatly appreciated. Also i bought a California catalytic converter brand new still in the box so that will not be a issue in regards to smog. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you pretty much need all of them working.

Diagram here for an '83 2.8l: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/1983vacuumhoseguide.jpg
Not sure the color code will match your year but once you establish your color code it should be fairly easy to relabel them for your year.

The EGR system cuts down on NOx emissions so you need that working.
The fuel tank/carbon canister prevents fuel vapors from escaping from the fuel tank, and they often test that using a pressure monitor in place of the gas cap.

VRESER = vacuum reservoir, the big can
SOL V = vacuum solenoid, these are 12volt "relays" that are opened or closed to pass or cut off vacuum from going to a device, like EGR valve or fuel tank vacuum system, your top picture is of vacuum solenoids, middle is the EGR valve but the cut hoses don't look like they go to the EGR.
MAN VAC = vacuum manifold, it will be on the intake and have several vacuum hoses attached, this is the source of most of the vacuum pressure in the system.

CARB is of course the carburetor, it has regular vacuum ports and "Ported vacuum" ports, regular vacuum port will be Below the throttle plate, this would be the same vacuum pressure as the MAN VAC :)
Power brake booster is often connected here, and/or PCV Valve hose.

Ported vacuum is any port Above the throttle plate, it's vacuum pressure increases when throttle plate opens(regular vacuum decreases at that time), as air flow thru the carb increases so does ported vacuum, this is often used for distributor vacuum advance, but can also be used to activate other systems.

Last edited:

baconops89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply! Would you happen to know where i could possily get all of those vacuum lines? Many of the boots on mine have been cut off.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Most likely you would have to get them from a scrap yard. I don't think they're available through any of the parts stores.

Maybe a few members from other states that don't need all that smog crap and have done conversions to other engines may have some of those lines they could send you.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Can the vacuum lines just be replaced with common rubber vacuum line you buy by the foot?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I see the orange and green are cut, the Orange goes to the vacuum motor connected to the divertor in the air intake leading to the air filter housing. The green goes to the EGR valve, it looks like the boot is still on the EGR valve, so you mat be able to patch it together with bulk vacuum line. The light blue goes to the temperature compensated accelerator pump, but that looks to be connected.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can use regular vacuum hose you buy by the foot

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You should also check the existing lines with a vacuum pump because they sometimes crack when they get old. The whole vac line deal sounds like a pain, but it isn't all that bad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals