• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum leaks

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Holding vacuum is another test you can do without special tools. With selector to OFF, (engine on) the door is activated; when I turn off the engine it takes 45 seconds before it starts to move. That's the point there's not enough vacuum to keep it open. Then over the next 30 seconds it gradually closes (or opens depending how you look at it).
At least on this model, all you have to do is open up the glove box all the way to test that. Actually it's pretty nice the way they made much of it readily accessible.

That's with the white to the heater valve plugged of course per above. Until I get that done. When it's good, test should act the same.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I got the part from PlumCrazy and it's good. The old one had cracks in it so it was leaking, once I had it out I could see.
I may have an issue with the connector sealing inside (at the firewall under the glove box) but I bypassed that for the moment by running short tubes between them. The heater valve activates properly. But the heater core hoses get hot and they shouldn't.
In its relaxed position the valve should be normally open. It only closes on Off or Max AC. All that works fine as to it being actuated properly.
Heater Control Valve operation and testing - YouTube this vid shows a valve, looks the same, but it's normally closed which would be the opposite of what this one should be.
But I get tons of heat so it couldn't be normally closed either. It there any possibility it's in wrong? It doesn't make sense.
IMG_3369.JPG

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Rather than thinking of it as closed or open, think of it as “heat” or “bypass”.

The valve in one position (heat) sends hot coolant through the heater core. In the other position (bypass) it bypasses the heater core. The bypass position would be for “off” or “max A/C.

Coolant always passes through the valve following one path or the other.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I feel kind of dumb, but, I think it's working. I see it being actuated properly in those two settings as you say. I think there's probably a little bit still coming through when it's on bypass.

In the pic the right hand hose from the engine has to be the "in" side. When it's on "heat" it's allowing coolant to the right hand heater core hose, as you look at the pic.

When the engine is pretty warm with a thermometer I measure 155F on the outside of the hose from the engine, and about 125-130 at both the heater hose so that's quite a differential. If I set it to heater the core hose rapidly gets to 155 and with the fan on you see a significant differential for the "out" side of the core and at the return hose for the engine.

So that just seems like everything is working as well as it's supposed to work and I think there's just a little heat that still gets to the core but if you were driving and/or had air going through it for A/C it probably would be a pretty insiginifican't amount of heat actually getting in there.

Will chase connectors at firewall another time. Since everything works properly afaik if there's any possible issues that's the last place.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like it’s working fine. Good job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals