• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 wiring and tranny

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 2 questions here and probably should have seperated them, but here goes...

1. If i were to put a carbureted 5.0 in my 87 Ranger, Do I throw out the computer wiring harness thats in it for the original 2.9 completely, or how do i wire it to run? what wires do i need? should i get an earlier carbureted 4 cylinder harness and where would i find one?

2. Mine is a 4x4 and i want to keep it that way. I have an M5R2 5 speed from an 88 bronco 5.0, and the engine/tranny mate nicely. Advance Adapters makes an adapter to put the original BW 1350 transfer case behind it. My question is has anyone here done this particular conversion yet, and how did the shifter come up through the floor? there is approximately a 13 inch difference side by side in where the shifters come out between my stock FM 145 mitsu tranny, and the M5R2 Tranny i want to put in....any help here appreciated. thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. Figure out what you want to run for an ignition system and locate the wires it needs (hot constant, hot with key...) and isolate what you need for the gauges (they will still work with the V8) and find the neutral start/clutch switch wiring and make sure to save that as well.

2. The adaptor is a waste of several hundred dollars IMO, put that money towards a fullsize t-case and put the extra in your V8 swap.

BTW the top cover off of a 97-08 F-150 will put the shifter in a much better place in a Ranger cockpit. :icon_thumby:

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So Youre saying that a BW1354 from a fullsize F150, (which bolts to the M5R2 Tranny) is easier to do? sounds ok to me. Will the manual shift linkage from the 1354 come anywhere near where its supposed to (side by side with shifter) in the Ranger? Now, will the top shifter plate just bolt onto the older tranny? I believe the only change was in the bellhousing when they went to the modular V8, correct? And 1 more thing, i read somewhere that the ONLY difference between 4x2 and 4x4 M5R2 transmissions is the tailshaft adapter. Is this true or do u have to change output shafts also due to different sizes?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So Youre saying that a BW1354 from a fullsize F150, (which bolts to the M5R2 Tranny) is easier to do? sounds ok to me. Will the manual shift linkage from the 1354 come anywhere near where its supposed to (side by side with shifter) in the Ranger? Now, will the top shifter plate just bolt onto the older tranny? I believe the only change was in the bellhousing when they went to the modular V8, correct? And 1 more thing, i read somewhere that the ONLY difference between 4x2 and 4x4 M5R2 transmissions is the tailshaft adapter. Is this true or do u have to change output shafts also due to different sizes?
The BW1354 was only put on the later RBV's and will not mount a fullsize trans.

The NP205/NP208 will fit between the frame rails, I would assume you use the linkage that came with them.

The top covers interchange, the 4.2 has the same boltpattern as a SBF. Output shafts should be good to go.

Last edited:

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry about that. I meant the BW1356 that came behind this tranny originally. how much bigger physically is it than the original Ranger transfer case?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry about that. I meant the BW1356 that came behind this tranny originally. how much bigger physically is it than the original Ranger transfer case?
Big enough you will have to notch the frame.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, any other transfer cases that will bolt directly to the M5R2 Tranny that you know of? Thanks again, Matt

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Will a NP208 fit between the frame rails and bolt straight up to save weight?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 208 will bolt up. You will most likely have to cut the external tabs off of it and maybe shave a little of the lower frame depending on how you have the engine set. The 205 will fit as well but is heavier and the strongest case in factory form. Any fullsize ford t-case will bolt up, the problem is making it fit without cutting up your frame. The 205 or 208 are the best choices for fitment.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
excellent. I can get one of these very cheaply. Then i should have a pretty Bulletproof drivetrain.

mk42gunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...And 1 more thing, i read somewhere that the ONLY difference between 4x2 and 4x4 M5R2 transmissions is the tailshaft adapter. Is this true or do u have to change output shafts also due to different sizes?
The output shafts are different between the 4x2 and 4x4 versions of the M5OD, at least as they came in 95 F150's. I had the two versions sitting side by side when I swapped the slave cylinder from the 4x4 my daughter wrecked into my daily driver.

I believe you could swap output shafts; but that would invlove a complete transmission teardown. If you go that route, I highly recommend getting a new oil slinger; they are rather fragile.

Robert

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes the 208 will bolt up. You will most likely have to cut the external tabs off of it and maybe shave a little of the lower frame depending on how you have the engine set. The 205 will fit as well but is heavier and the strongest case in factory form. Any fullsize ford t-case will bolt up, the problem is making it fit without cutting up your frame. The 205 or 208 are the best choices for fitment.
The 44-06 from a 97+ f150 should be on this list. Fits full size pattern, fits between the ranger frame rails with no cutting, readily available, and its light and strong.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
havent heard of that one yet but i will check it out, Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals