• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap for daily driver

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I have reached my performance limit pretty much with my 2.9 v6 5 speed 4x4 ranger. I am interested in the 302 - M5R2 swap and actually have most pieces already. My question is has anyone here done this conversion and used it as their daily driver for months or years, not just weekend warrior duty? If so, how is the overall driveability of it, does it run cool? Any things you would change if you could? If i did the swap, it would be a generally stock 302, nothing built for high performance. It should be plenty stout! Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. And 1 more question, does anyone know if the stock internal slave on the M5R2 from a 5.0 Bronco will work with my stock clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder? Thanks, Matt

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Here is a quick cut and paste from my introduction thread. It may asnswer a few of your questions.

Back in 1997 EFI V8 Ranger swaps were still a little new and build information was a bit more difficult to come by. The internet was just starting to catch on and many of the Ranger forums had yet to be conceived. Things have come a long way over the past 13 years. Now much of the necessary technical info is a few short key strokes away.

The first project was intended to be used as a courier vehicle in and around the Tampa Bay area of Florida. At the time of the conversion the 93 Splash already had 185,000 light duty courier miles. I collected new parts from around the country to include a World Class T-5, Ford Motorsports 5.0 crate motor, new EFI harness, 8.8 rear end with 3:55 gears, etc. At the time I was a bit concerned as Florida still had emission testing. But with a few reservations the project moved forward and the final product was perfect for the role it was designed for. The 5.0 93 Splash rolled through the Tampa Bay area every day for another four years before it was pulled from service. Total distance driven at that time was 395,000 miles, 210,000 miles being after the V8 swap. Some of you from around the area may remember the little V8 ranger with the 1965 Shelby GT350 paint scheme. For those of you who may never have seen it in person you may have seen the photo of my shifter set back used in the Harwood Manual.

Last edited:

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That is some kind of nice!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals