• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V6 4.0 SOHC bored to 4.6?? good idea?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, im looking to get more horsepower out of my truck, LIKE MORE PONIES!..umm and i was thinking about boring (spelling?) a 4.0L to be a 4.6 or even 5.0 i guess if i could go that big.

the only reason i would do this instead of just put a V8 in there, is because this engine would EXACTLY mount right up in my truck..noo custom fabing.

on the flip side of power, i also want to keep decent gas mileage, not go into the low teens..10-13...but im wondering if a 4.6 v6 and a 4.6 v8 gonna use the same amount of gas in the same car?

what are the advantages of boring an engine and disadvantages?

another idea was just swaping the lightning engine in, but not seeing to many people doing that except for one prototype somewhere on the internet, what is involved is shady territory.

thanks for the help

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
It is not recomened that you bore the 4.0 out. The recomended over bore is just .020 over.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the only reason i would do this instead of just put a V8 in there, is because this engine would EXACTLY mount right up in my truck..noo custom fabing.
What fun is that? :)

You could just drop a stock HO 5.0L EFI and get what you want, and save a crap load of money (get a donor car). IMO Do you want to spend thousands on an engine that you don't know will even work, or if you'll ever even get it to run correctly, or just a couple grand and hulk out a V8 swap that's been done and covered dozens of times, with plently of cheaper aftermarket parts, that will be way more reliable, and have plently of room for more mods (think 331 or 347)? Get a '92 HO w/ factory forged pistons, then add a 100 shot when you get bored w/ it. :D

Pete

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
That is for the SOHC. The OHV can go up to .030 over.
The 90-94 OHV block can safely be bored to .030 over, the 95-later OHV block can only be bored .020 over safely. You would have to stroke the engine to get anymore displacement, and even then, you probably will only get to 4.3 liters.

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Psychopete, so you think i should just mount up a 5.0? with forged pistons and such..looking to keep it under $3G, but under 2G would be nice...umm whats the gas mileage gonna be on all these 5.0s out there? and for what power? i want like 300 to the wheel..gonna need to supercharge it? what?

thanks guys!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could help a little bit if we knew what year truck? If SOHC, must be a nice new one that an Explorer 5.0 might fit in rather easy and cheap. 300hp at the wheels would be nice but hard to do under $3000 (with good quality parts - hear the arguments coming).
Need better heads, cam, intake, headers than what the Explorer comes with, not counting the trans and other little things.
Dave

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2003 ranger SOHC, 4x4 4.0 manual

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should be able to grab a '98-'00 Explorer and it almost be a direct swap. The frame is the same in that area. The only thing that would need a lot of work would be the transmission cross member and wiring I would assume

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lets just say that is was possible to bore and stroke a 4.0 out to 5.0.
The first problem you would run into is that the fuel injection system couldn't supply the demand of the engine. With a bigger set of injectors and a bigger mass air meter you could supply the demand but, you would blow $1000 getting there.
The second problem you would run into is the ECA (computer). It couldn't understand the signals that it is getting. It would need a new program or possibly even a whole new system. That would cost somewhere between $500 and $2500.
The third problem is that the intake manifold design is the biggest restiction on the 4.0. Boring and stroking the motor would do almost nothing for you. The solution would be to have a custom intake made. That alone would cost you more than your budget.

If you go to a 5.0 you could get 300hp within your budget if you went carburated.
Fuel injected you would be closer to $5000. And that is only if you did most of the work yourself.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
300hp at the crank is well within your buget if using a 2000 5.0 Explorer motor if you can find one in good shape and complete. Try and find the complete trans, motor and x-fer case, wiring and computer. Pop in the right cam and a set of Torque Monster headers ($750) and you are there. Quite a few have done the swap and learned to like having the AWD. The differences in the wiring have all been worked out and documented, pin by pin, part by part. Getting to a given hp level might cost "X" amout but to get 10-15% more hp might cost 50% and more.
You could supercharge the 4.0 and be way over your buget and under your hp desires.
Dave

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
but i see people with supercharged 4.0L running a unknown PSI, probably with built engines getting like 300rwhp..?

and doesnt the engine have to be newer than the car? just heard that from a friend

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, there are people running the 4.0 supercharged. Explorer Express makes one for your truck but it runs over $4000, don't know what HP it gives.
As far as the motor having to be the same year or newer? That all depends on your local/state rules and regulations.
Check out the technical library for the great section on doing the Explorer swap, almost the same as what you want.
Dave

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhmm i found the s/c kit that allows you to use the m90, and the kit is like 1500$ and a used m90 is like 500?? just wondering how much the will make (hp wise) for stock internals, and then with a built engine i guesS??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals