• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Update on limited slip and posi differentials

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like you have never driven in the mountains. Or any place where you would need skill.
Sounds like you have no skill if you can't drive a 4x4 with lockers and MT tires in the snow without putting it in the ditch. It's not that difficult. We have way more mountains here than you do, they call WV the Mountain State for a reason.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Sounds like you have no skill if you can't drive a 4x4 with lockers and MT tires in the snow without putting it in the ditch. It's not that difficult. We have way more mountains here than you do, they call WV the Mountain State for a reason.
Aye.

Did not mean to say I go in the ditch. I am the recovery guy ..

Just alluding to the fact that there are conditions one will find yourself in that leads to that on pavement.

Your definition of mud tires could be something that loses translation as well.

Dedicated snow tires will keep a vehicle on the road where mud tires will not..

You indicated SNOW(edit) tires suck on a 4x4.....that is patently absurd.

And I do work in West Virginia. The worst two winters of this century so far...and didn't have any issues personally....but pulled a lot of shit out of ditches and up lease roads.

I have been driving locked 4x4 vehicles my whole life. Sometimes On closed roads like 131...and wot during blizzards ....always made it to work....

except one time. In 32 years.

Whether you like it or not. 35 inch Mud tires that actually work in mud....on the road....will not outperform 35 inch snow tires when it's storming and especially if you are plowing snow.

You are welcome put mine on your truck for an honest assessment.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
At least you're not telling me you can go anywhere I can go with a 2wd and sandbags in the trunk.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Aye.

Did not mean to say I go in the ditch. I am the recovery guy ..

Just alluding to the fact that there are conditions one will find yourself in that leads to that on pavement.

Your definition of mud tires could be something that loses translation as well.

Dedicated snow tires will keep a vehicle on the road where mud tires will not..

You indicated mud tires suck on a 4x4.....that is patently absurd.

And I do work in West Virginia. The worst two winters of this century so far...and didn't have any issues personally....but pulled a lot of shit out of ditches and up lease roads.

I have been driving locked 4x4 vehicles my whole life. Sometimes On closed roads like 131...and wot during blizzards ....always made it to work....

except one time. In 32 years.

Whether you like it or not. 35 inch Mud tires that actually work in mud....on the road....will not outperform 35 inch snow tires when it's storming and especially if you are plowing snow.

You are welcome put mine on your truck for an honest assessment.
I have 0 problems keeping it on the road with mud tires. I didn't day mud tires suck on a 4x4 I said snow tires do which is a fact, soon as you leave the pavement with snow tires and get into some wet ground you are stuck, They are ok if you never leave the pavement and it doesn't snow more than 6" but that's not what a 4x4 is for, snow tires are worthless on a 4x4 that actually gets used.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I thought we were reviewing a Torsen diff here?

@00t444e I see a pattern with your posts... I'm not sure why you think you're the be all end all rule maker about transmissions... transfer cases... differentials and tires. Im adding expert driver to the list now too. But I know far to many people to consider you so. @bobbywalter happens to be on top of my list for those and several other areas.

Im just gonna ask you to be less argumentative. What works for you doesnt always work for others. Enjoy the site and join in when you have input... but understand that people arent stupid or less skilled if they dont agree with you.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I have 0 problems keeping it on the road with mud tires. I didn't day mud tires suck on a 4x4 I said snow tires do which is a fact, soon as you leave the pavement with snow tires and get into some wet ground you are stuck, They are ok if you never leave the pavement and it doesn't snow more than 6" but that's not what a 4x4 is for, snow tires are worthless on a 4x4 that actually gets used.

i did edit that....

as i meant snow tires.

i work where they actually have winter too. so if southern ohio and west virginia are the metrics.... your winter is not winter.

i have to use 4x4 to access work....and yes....there are mud conditions where your fawked. because.. mud tires are mud tires.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Chubfest_July_14-16_2006-The_Badlands_Indiana_066_copy.jpg
pig aug 15.jpg

i have driven that truck over a million miles. those are mud tires.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
IMG_20160606_114118 (1).jpg

Screenshot_2015-08-29-13-07-17_resized.png

those are road tires

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
KIMG0477.JPG
KIMG0478.JPG

Snow tires..... I even put them on the bronco.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

@00t444e I see a pattern with your posts... I'm not sure why you think you're the be all end all rule maker about transmissions... transfer cases... differentials and tires. Im adding expert driver to the list now too. But I know far to many people to consider you so. @bobbywalter happens to be on top of my list for those and several other areas.

Im just gonna ask you to be less argumentative. What works for you doesnt always work for others. Enjoy the site and join in when you have input... but understand that people arent stupid or less skilled if they dont agree with you.

this is relevant to the torsen diff.

and case use. and selection and met expectations....or missed expectations.

oot444e is right to want to just run mud tires because it makes the most sense for him....there is not enough winter in west virginia to warrant snow tires....definitely for people that have to run muddy roads every day....especially ones that are cindered regularly or otherwise just not froze solid all of the time.

the original poster...
2wd guys needing traction...
if you need a torsen...your either drag racing or have had issues on a two track dirt road....or one wheel peel left you screwed in winter....problems at the beech..whatever...

if you can....in winter you should try snows. they work. otherwise a nice all terrain if your mostly pavement. mud though....mud requires mud tires.

years ago..in my youth..burning through two sets of tires per year....in REAL WINTER CONDITIONS....and some periods of 150 to 200 miles one way to work, i would bias winter in winter and at for summer. real muds for trail riding. its all i could afford to do. especially buying a4ld transmissions all the time..

wasting a set of mud tires in 2-3 months is just out of my price range...at two thirds worn they dont work any better then a all terrain. if you dont drive enough miles to wear out set of muds in 6 months then it dont matter anyway.

that is why i like the shop truck. keeps the miles off of mine.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How much are you driving to wear out a set of MT tires in 2-3 Months? They last me 30K on my F250 and even longer on lighter vehicles like my Jeeps and Ranger.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Been on the Forums for around 15 years, just trying to address two commonly perpetuated myths. One being that lockers are dangerous in the rain snow and ice, the other being that MT tires aren't good in the snow. After owning 7 different 4x4s over the past 15 years, 3 Jeeps, 2 Rangers, a Dakota and an F250,( not including all of the 4x4 company vehicles I have had) I can say without a doubt that both of those myths are not true, unless you are just a poor driver to begin with.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
How much are you driving to wear out a set of MT tires in 2-3 Months? They last me 30K on my F250 and even longer on lighter vehicles like my Jeeps and Ranger.

how much are you reading?

a short year for me is 50k.

i have driven my ranger and bronco 2 all over west virginia, pennsylvania, new york in the past for work....oil and gas..... and florida and the dakotas...and and and and....

i put over a million on that pos ranger since 1992....

most people will not drive a million miles in their lifetime.

so you telling me i can not drive is pure comedy....

dont get that wrong though....... your point speaking to the general population is valid.

and know for sure....most people will have a hard time in my ranger, the bronco or the thing that identifies as a ranger because they are brutal and basic.

no abs...no radio...no ac....no traction control....sort of some heat.....some are spooled all are locked.....

my ranger has a mechanical diesel and dana 60s on leaf springs....it is the definition of old school. the only luxury i have is the 4l80e automatic in it.....and a nice useable bed.

the bronco has drum brakes all the way around...

i used to...for years... drive that ranger like that....all captain cave pig 1500 miles one way to work from northern michigan to southern florida....so rolling on muds is not in the cards. sometimes when i would go to events there i put them on a trailer or in the bed or borrow muds down there....

i have wheeled all over the country and driven on real mountain roads that make west virginia look like my home base of michigan.

at the end of the day....tire selection is the most important decision for most machines to be the best they can be. then differential.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
And your comment continues down the same pattern I've noted in the past.

It may work for you just fine...

Myself... I had a set of Michelin Defenders that will drive circles around my current hybrid mud/all terrains... and any other mud tire I've ever owned on snow covered roads.

They work for you... enjoy your choice. But stop insulting people that don't agree with you.

Can we do that?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 104408View attachment 104409

Snow tires..... I even put them on the bronco.
That looks like one very competent rig! I'm just a daily driver who lives in a city, not in the mountains. I go off road every once in a while on my son's farm, but I stay on the pavement when the snow flies.

My son's needs are entirely different. I went to the junkyard and bought a very nice set of snow tires and wheels for his truck. He faithfully bolts them on every year. He swears by them too

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals