• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unintentional flashing of the dashboard when opening the doors...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Sorry for the text in French, I was on my phone which translates the entire forum and I thought it would do the opposite to make it easier for you to understand.
But it's ok, I understood everything.
I'll try to spend some time on these cables before next weekend.
I have other photos of the engine compartment but of poorer quality, I will take some again with flash, for a better perception.
otherwise, I also have this little switch located near the brake release handle. Would you also know what it is, and if it has anything to do with the anti-theft system? I haven't seen what it's connected to yet.
View attachment 106342
Good Morning (for me anyway).

First this post of yours. That is very most likely the "valet switch" for the alarm system. See if it has a Gray and Black pair of wires, and those should end in a 2-pin connector which plugs into the alarm control module.

More to follow in my reply to your second post.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
While waiting for better quality photos, here is what is in the engine compartment. A residue of what could have been the sound part of the alarm, and a box resembling a circuit breaker, as well as an extension of battery terminals...there are many things to remove in there, no ? I want to clear my path

View attachment 106343View attachment 106344View attachment 106345👨‍🔧
Thanks again for your help
And now the reply to your second post.

Picture #1: Yes, that was the sound part of the alarm system (we call it a "siren"). It is broken; it is missing the bell part. You can remove that by removing the screws from the mounting bracket, and pulling the Red and Black wires back through the firewall to inside the cab. The siren Red wire is connected to the alarm (probably an alarm Brown wire) and the siren Black wire will be attached to ground (metal structure) at some place. This Black siren ground wire may share its attachment point with other of the aftermarket equipment's ground wires.

Picture #2: I am not sure about this item (working from memory). It looks like it may be OEM, and I don't recognize it as part of the aftermarket security.

Picture #3: That is your starter relay; it is OEM but the wiring has been modified. Originally the two thick Red wires were molded together in the black rubber part, but the starter relay has been replaced with a slightly different style, which required separating the two Red thick Red wires. Here is what they are: three thick Red wires; 1) one connects the battery Positive to the starter relay IN. Sharing the relay IN post is thick Red wire 2), which supplies battery Positive to the underhood fuse/relay box. The third thick Red wire 3) is on the OUT side of the starter relay and it supplies Positive to the starter when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I have had to do this same modification before, and it's all OK, except for the relay OUT thick Red wire having corrosion; that should taken off and cleaned well, the ring terminal's crimp checked for tightness, and the exposed wire strands taped up well.

It sounds like you will be removing the aftermarket security system parts. If so I will try to help you. A couple of my questions, please:

1) Does everything on the truck operate correctly now?

2) Did the original lights flashing problem go away when you unplugged the alarm control module?

3) The best pictures that will help us are of the aftermarket wires being connected to factory OEM wires. Can you locate some of these connecting points, and let me see by which method the aftermarket installer used to splice wires?

One more post follows.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Basic removal instructions for the aftermarket equipment

The aftermarket security systems have wires which connect to original wires (OEM wires). Typically these are:

1) Constant power. In many cases the aftermarket wire color is Red. It is best practice to disconnect this wire first. It should have an inline fuse.
2) Ignition power. In many cases the aftermarket wire color is Yellow.
>>> Both of these connections are recommended as being to the OEM ignition switch wires, but they can also be made at the fuse box or other locations.

3) Negative ground wire. This aftermarket wire color is usually Black. It will be attached to metal structure convenient to the other aftermarket wiring, and other aftermarket ground wires may share this connection point.

4) Flashing light output wire. This aftermarket wire is usually Brown and is usually connected to the OEM parking lights wire in the area of the headlight switch. The OEM wire color in this case is probably Brown.

5) Door trigger input wire: This aftermarket wire is what causes the alarm to trip, or trigger, when the alarm is armed and a door opened. The aftermarket wire colors are usually Green, for Negative switching dome lights, or Violet for Positive switching dome lights. In your case, you'll likely find an alarm Violet wire connected to an OEM Black/Lt Blue wire in the driver kick panel (footwell above the parking brake) or in the headlight switch area.

Other aftermarket wires, may include a hood pin trigger input wire, usually Gray, which will be routed through the firewall and connected to an added pin switch, which detects the hood being opened.

Remaining wires and connected devices

6) The alarm siren was discussed in a prior post.

7) You have the magnetic shock sensor; its wiring harness should simply plug into the alarm module.

8) There is the valet switch discussed in the prior post. Its wires should just plug into the alarm module.

9) There should be a status LED light mounted somewhere, which you may not have noticed yet. It should have two wires, typically Red and Black, and these just plug into the alarm module.

The starter interrupt relay

10) This will require the most attention and care in its removal. The relay socket should have three wires. A small wire, usually Orange in color, which will connect to the alarm module wire of typically the same Orange color. The relay socket will also have two thick wires, usually Red and White, although I think I saw Red and Green on yours (aftermarket colors don't matter here). When the starter interrupt relay was added, the truck's starter wire was cut; you will need to disconnect the aftermarket thick wires from the OEM starter wires, and properly reconnect them. You will want to use a properly installed insulated butt connecter to reconnect the factory starter wire, or better by soldering and shrink tubing. The OEM wire color is Red/Lt Blue, or possibly Pink if the starter interrupt connections were made after the triple function switch connector.

11) If your truck has power door locks, you may, or likely, have them connected to the alarm
Let me know, after all of the above have been disconnected and removed, if there is still a 3-wire harness plugged into the alarm module. Usual aftermarket wire colors for door lock outputs are Green, Red, and Blue. If present these wires will go to an aftermarket double relay socket. If your truck has this we will discuss further, OK?

I think that you'll find the immobilizer system shares connection points with the alarm system.

After removing an aftermarket wire from an OEM wire, you will need to make sure that the OEM wire is not damaged, and the opening in the wire insulation needs to be taped well. I can comment further if you can picture some of these connections.

All of this is not complicated. Be careful, and ask here of any questions that you may have.

Good luck, Sparky!

(just kidding, about the "Sparky" part :) )

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Nice of you to step up and share @RobbieD

This is a huge reason why TRS is still the best.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Instructions de retrait de base pour l'équipement de rechange

Les systèmes de sécurité du marché secondaire ont des fils qui se connectent aux fils d'origine (fils OEM). Ce sont généralement :

1) Puissance constante. Dans de nombreux cas, la couleur du fil du marché secondaire est le rouge. Il est préférable de débrancher d'abord ce fil. Il devrait avoir un fusible en ligne.
2) Puissance d'allumage. Dans de nombreux cas, la couleur du fil du marché secondaire est le jaune.
>>> Ces deux connexions sont recommandées comme étant aux fils du contacteur d'allumage OEM, mais elles peuvent également être effectuées au niveau de la boîte à fusibles ou à d'autres endroits.

3) Fil de terre négatif. Cette couleur de fil de rechange est généralement noire. Il sera attaché à une structure métallique pratique pour les autres câbles du marché secondaire, et d'autres fils de terre du marché secondaire peuvent partager ce point de connexion.

4) Fil de sortie de lumière clignotante. Ce fil de rechange est généralement marron et est généralement connecté au fil des feux de stationnement OEM dans la zone de l'interrupteur des phares. La couleur du fil OEM dans ce cas est probablement marron.

5) Fil d'entrée de déclenchement de porte : ce fil de rechange est ce qui provoque le déclenchement ou le déclenchement de l'alarme lorsque l'alarme est armée et qu'une porte est ouverte. Les couleurs des fils du marché secondaire sont généralement vertes, pour les plafonniers à commutation négative, ou violettes pour les plafonniers à commutation positive. Dans votre cas, vous trouverez probablement un fil violet d'alarme connecté à un fil OEM noir/bleu clair dans le panneau de protection du conducteur (pieds au-dessus du frein de stationnement) ou dans la zone de l'interrupteur des phares.

D'autres fils de rechange peuvent inclure un fil d'entrée de déclenchement de broche de capot, généralement gris, qui sera acheminé à travers le pare-feu et connecté à un interrupteur à broche supplémentaire, qui détecte l'ouverture du capot.

Fils restants et appareils connectés

6) La sirène d'alarme a été évoquée dans un article précédent.

7) Vous disposez du capteur de choc magnétique ; son faisceau de câbles doit simplement se brancher sur le module d'alarme.

8) Il y a le commutateur de voiturier discuté dans le post précédent. Ses fils doivent simplement se brancher sur le module d'alarme.

9) Il devrait y avoir un voyant LED d'état monté quelque part, que vous n'avez peut-être pas encore remarqué. Il doit avoir deux fils, généralement rouge et noir, et ceux-ci se branchent simplement sur le module d'alarme.

Le relais d'interruption du démarreur

10) Cela nécessitera le plus d’attention et de soin lors de son retrait. La prise relais doit avoir trois fils. Un petit fil, généralement de couleur orange, qui se connectera au fil du module d'alarme généralement de la même couleur orange. La prise relais aura également deux fils épais, généralement rouge et blanc, même si je pense avoir vu du rouge et du vert sur le vôtre (les couleurs du marché secondaire n'ont pas d'importance ici). Lorsque le relais d'interruption du démarreur a été ajouté, le fil du démarreur du camion a été coupé ; vous devrez déconnecter les fils épais du marché secondaire des fils de démarrage OEM et les reconnecter correctement. Vous souhaiterez utiliser un connecteur bout à bout isolé correctement installé pour reconnecter le fil de démarrage d'usine, ou mieux en soudant et en thermorétractant. La couleur du fil OEM est rouge/bleu clair, ou éventuellement rose si les connexions d'interruption du démarreur ont été établies après le connecteur du commutateur à triple fonction.

11) Si votre camion est équipé de serrures de porte électriques, vous pouvez, ou probablement, les connecter à l'alarme.
Faites-moi savoir, une fois que tout ce qui précède a été déconnecté et retiré, s'il y a toujours un faisceau à 3 fils branché sur le module d'alarme. Les couleurs habituelles des fils du marché secondaire pour les sorties de serrure de porte sont le vert, le rouge et le bleu. S'ils sont présents, ces fils iront à une prise à double relais de rechange. Si votre camion en est équipé, nous en discuterons plus en détail, d'accord ?

Je pense que vous constaterez que le système d'immobilisation partage des points de connexion avec le système d'alarme.

Après avoir retiré un fil de rechange d'un fil OEM, vous devrez vous assurer que le fil OEM n'est pas endommagé et que l'ouverture dans l'isolation du fil doit être bien scotchée. Je peux commenter davantage si vous pouvez imaginer certaines de ces connexions.

Tout cela n'est pas compliqué. Soyez prudent et posez ici toutes vos questions.

Bonne chance, Sparky !

(je plaisante, à propos de la partie "Sparky" :) )
[/CITATION]

Waaahhh
Instructions de retrait de base pour l'équipement de rechange

Les systèmes de sécurité du marché secondaire ont des fils qui se connectent aux fils d'origine (fils OEM). Ce sont généralement :

1) Puissance constante. Dans de nombreux cas, la couleur du fil du marché secondaire est le rouge. Il est préférable de débrancher d'abord ce fil. Il devrait avoir un fusible en ligne.
2) Puissance d'allumage. Dans de nombreux cas, la couleur du fil du marché secondaire est le jaune.
>>> Ces deux connexions sont recommandées comme étant aux fils du contacteur d'allumage OEM, mais elles peuvent également être effectuées au niveau de la boîte à fusibles ou à d'autres endroits.

3) Fil de terre négatif. Cette couleur de fil de rechange est généralement noire. Il sera attaché à une structure métallique pratique pour les autres câbles du marché secondaire, et d'autres fils de terre du marché secondaire peuvent partager ce point de connexion.

4) Fil de sortie de lumière clignotante. Ce fil de rechange est généralement marron et est généralement connecté au fil des feux de stationnement OEM dans la zone de l'interrupteur des phares. La couleur du fil OEM dans ce cas est probablement marron.

5) Fil d'entrée de déclenchement de porte : ce fil de rechange est ce qui provoque le déclenchement ou le déclenchement de l'alarme lorsque l'alarme est armée et qu'une porte est ouverte. Les couleurs des fils du marché secondaire sont généralement vertes, pour les plafonniers à commutation négative, ou violettes pour les plafonniers à commutation positive. Dans votre cas, vous trouverez probablement un fil violet d'alarme connecté à un fil OEM noir/bleu clair dans le panneau de protection du conducteur (pieds au-dessus du frein de stationnement) ou dans la zone de l'interrupteur des phares.

D'autres fils de rechange peuvent inclure un fil d'entrée de déclenchement de broche de capot, généralement gris, qui sera acheminé à travers le pare-feu et connecté à un interrupteur à broche supplémentaire, qui détecte l'ouverture du capot.

Fils restants et appareils connectés

6) La sirène d'alarme a été évoquée dans un article précédent.

7) Vous disposez du capteur de choc magnétique ; son faisceau de câbles doit simplement se brancher sur le module d'alarme.

8) Il y a le commutateur de voiturier discuté dans le post précédent. Ses fils doivent simplement se brancher sur le module d'alarme.

9) Il devrait y avoir un voyant LED d'état monté quelque part, que vous n'avez peut-être pas encore remarqué. Il doit avoir deux fils, généralement rouge et noir, et ceux-ci se branchent simplement sur le module d'alarme.

Le relais d'interruption du démarreur

10) Cela nécessitera le plus d’attention et de soin lors de son retrait. La prise relais doit avoir trois fils. Un petit fil, généralement de couleur orange, qui se connectera au fil du module d'alarme généralement de la même couleur orange. La prise relais aura également deux fils épais, généralement rouge et blanc, même si je pense avoir vu du rouge et du vert sur le vôtre (les couleurs du marché secondaire n'ont pas d'importance ici). Lorsque le relais d'interruption du démarreur a été ajouté, le fil du démarreur du camion a été coupé ; vous devrez déconnecter les fils épais du marché secondaire des fils de démarrage OEM et les reconnecter correctement. Vous souhaiterez utiliser un connecteur bout à bout isolé correctement installé pour reconnecter le fil de démarrage d'usine, ou mieux en soudant et en thermorétractant. La couleur du fil OEM est rouge/bleu clair, ou éventuellement rose si les connexions d'interruption du démarreur ont été établies après le connecteur du commutateur à triple fonction.

11) Si votre camion est équipé de serrures de porte électriques, vous pouvez, ou probablement, les connecter à l'alarme.
Faites-moi savoir, une fois que tout ce qui précède a été déconnecté et retiré, s'il y a toujours un faisceau à 3 fils branché sur le module d'alarme. Les couleurs habituelles des fils du marché secondaire pour les sorties de serrure de porte sont le vert, le rouge et le bleu. S'ils sont présents, ces fils iront à une prise à double relais de rechange. Si votre camion en est équipé, nous en discuterons plus en détail, d'accord ?

Je pense que vous constaterez que le système d'immobilisation partage des points de connexion avec le système d'alarme.

Après avoir retiré un fil de rechange d'un fil OEM, vous devrez vous assurer que le fil OEM n'est pas endommagé et que l'ouverture dans l'isolation du fil doit être bien scotchée. Je peux commenter davantage si vous pouvez imaginer certaines de ces connexions.

Tout cela n'est pas compliqué. Soyez prudent et posez ici toutes vos questions.

Bonne chance, Sparky !

(je plaisante, à propos de la partie "Sparky" :) )
[/CITATION]
Waaahhh @RobbieD 1 million de fois merci pour cette explication.
Je n'ai plus d'excuses maintenant !
It's time to play now...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Glad to help a fellow Ranger owner when I can, and I hope that the information is what you need to get your truck fixed up.

If you have any questions, please ask. Be careful, go slow.

I hope the information accuracy is OK; I did this kind of work many years ago.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And now the reply to your second post.

Picture #1: Yes, that was the sound part of the alarm system (we call it a "siren"). It is broken; it is missing the bell part. You can remove that by removing the screws from the mounting bracket, and pulling the Red and Black wires back through the firewall to inside the cab. The siren Red wire is connected to the alarm (probably an alarm Brown wire) and the siren Black wire will be attached to ground (metal structure) at some place. This Black siren ground wire may share its attachment point with other of the aftermarket equipment's ground wires.

Picture #2: I am not sure about this item (working from memory). It looks like it may be OEM, and I don't recognize it as part of the aftermarket security.

Picture #3: That is your starter relay; it is OEM but the wiring has been modified. Originally the two thick Red wires were molded together in the black rubber part, but the starter relay has been replaced with a slightly different style, which required separating the two Red thick Red wires. Here is what they are: three thick Red wires; 1) one connects the battery Positive to the starter relay IN. Sharing the relay IN post is thick Red wire 2), which supplies battery Positive to the underhood fuse/relay box. The third thick Red wire 3) is on the OUT side of the starter relay and it supplies Positive to the starter when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I have had to do this same modification before, and it's all OK, except for the relay OUT thick Red wire having corrosion; that should taken off and cleaned well, the ring terminal's crimp checked for tightness, and the exposed wire strands taped up well.

It sounds like you will be removing the aftermarket security system parts. If so I will try to help you. A couple of my questions, please:

1) Does everything on the truck operate correctly now?

2) Did the original lights flashing problem go away when you unplugged the alarm control module?

3) The best pictures that will help us are of the aftermarket wires being connected to factory OEM wires. Can you locate some of these connecting points, and let me see by which method the aftermarket installer used to splice wires?

One more post follows.
Hello,
Annotation 2024-02-27 140356.png

I forgot to reply to this message, I apologize.
1.in fact everything works correctly now on the ranger.
2.no more problems with unwanted flashing each time the doors are opened.
Disconnecting the alarm module will resolve the problem.
I also unplugged the switch and the motion detection box.
The only notable fact is the action of the electronic key which, when not connected, does not allow you to start. Its role is still effective!
And I wonder if I'm not going to leave it after all...it's always useful if someone tries to break into my truck.
In addition, I see that this wire harness is not linked to the other two boxes. I'm going to dive into it again this evening or tomorrow, because I still have quite a few wires hanging under the dashboard and holes in the parfire to plug...

I'll bring you other, more explicit photos by the end of the week, because I'm also preparing the truck for its first pass through the French technical inspection...fingers crossed that it goes well.

See you later ;)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hello,
View attachment 106723
I forgot to reply to this message, I apologize.
1.in fact everything works correctly now on the ranger.
2.no more problems with unwanted flashing each time the doors are opened.
Disconnecting the alarm module will resolve the problem.
I also unplugged the switch and the motion detection box.
The only notable fact is the action of the electronic key which, when not connected, does not allow you to start. Its role is still effective!
And I wonder if I'm not going to leave it after all...it's always useful if someone tries to break into my truck.
In addition, I see that this wire harness is not linked to the other two boxes. I'm going to dive into it again this evening or tomorrow, because I still have quite a few wires hanging under the dashboard and holes in the parfire to plug...

I'll bring you other, more explicit photos by the end of the week, because I'm also preparing the truck for its first pass through the French technical inspection...fingers crossed that it goes well.

See you later ;)
Thank you; and good luck!

P.S.- how did you find my picture? :)

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you; and good luck!

P.S.- how did you find my picture? :)
I recognized you immediately...no, it's actually me lol
in truth, everything is going well for the moment, I only have 3 wires left which seem to be connected to another harness and perhaps connected to the immobilizer system. as I said, it will perhaps stay in place... what's more, I found the origin of the sound problem with my car radio, everything works again. All I have to do is spend time on my driver's side cylinder which is not working.
Next step therefore, the driver's door barrel, the window motors on both sides which are tired as well as the central locking motors.
Have a nice day

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're making excellent progress on getting your truck into good order. Great job!

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're making excellent progress on getting your truck into good order. Great job!

Hi Cable Guy!
As announced new photos,
IMG20240301192908.jpg
IMG20240301192940.jpg
IMG20240301192949.jpg
IMG20240301192954.jpg
IMG20240301193002.jpg
IMG20240301193007.jpg
IMG20240301193115.jpg
IMG20240301193138.jpg
IMG20240301193142.jpg

IMG20240301193201.jpg
IMG20240301193207.jpg

As already said, I made sure to remove all the excess so that the truck works normally, and that seems to be the case, tomorrow, I'm doing a full-scale test (yes, I'm going on the road, finally)
once the technical inspection has passed on Thursday March 7, I will look in more detail at the remaining wires, because there remains the electronic key acting as a circuit breaker on my ignition key.

You may remember the difference, and you will also see the circuit breaker present in the engine compartment and connected to the battery which I removed, because it was no longer connected to anything, except the battery, but not had no action.

and thank you again for your encouragement and advice, it is valuable here, on the other side of the Atlantic where this vehicle is not widespread

Bye

https://translate.google.fr/?hl=fr

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thank for new pictures. That is looking a lot better.

If you are leaving the short Red and Yellow wires which have been cut, please tape the bare wire ends securely.

That aftermarket relay and socket, which show well in pictures #2 and #3, is likely the starter interrupt for the electronic key immobilizer. I believe that you said that you may keep this part.

A comment about these aftermarket connectors:

scotchlok.JPG

Those are called "Scotchlock" wire tap connectors. Here in your truck they look like they were used to get constant and ignition power for the aftermarket stuff. These will usually create problems later on, especially in this case as the truck wire is too big for the blue scotchlock connector (it should be yellow).

You did a very good job cleaning up the aftermarket mess.

I would think that it is very cool, to have an American truck in France. Good luck, and take care!

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After a few setbacks, things are moving forward for the Chuck! Today Chuck passed his French technical inspection with flying colors! he got it on the first try and no need for a follow-up visit, he was excellent for his first major examination in the territory. at the same time, I requested a registration certificate from the administration, I hope that it will not take two months, I can't wait to release it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals