• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo'ing a 4.0 SOHC

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it will make installing the cold side easier wit ha body lift but is not necessary there have been plenty of cars and explorers to go remote mounted. One stanmg over at theturboforums built custom side skirts that were the cold side
thats exactly what i was gonna do for my sentra..

but yes i know taht body isnt necessary but makes things hell of alot easier :D

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mhmm, that sounds all good, i am still batting around ideas..i just posted in the conversion form about boring a 4.0 to like 4.6? or 5.0 if i can get it that big..

just looking for more power, and then probably supercharging that, i just dont wanna lose TOO much gas mileage. on that note, im wondering what the difference would be from a like v6 4.6L supercharged to a V8 4.6L supercharged to a V8 5.4L supercharged all on the same vehicle with gas mileage....are the V6 and V8 4.6 gonna get the same gas mileage cause the displacement is the same? will i only lose 2 mpg with the 5.4? those are all good questions that i need to figure out!! ahahah
no.. thats like saying the sr20, sr20det, 4age, and other 2.0 engines get the same mileage.. even in just 4 bangers there are different mpg depending on which motor. 1. simply because of design... (whether it be compression ratios 9:1 v 7.8:1) and 2. because they produce different power.

also you have to keep in mind.. you gonna drive different with that much power underneath your foot :D ;)

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

for my remote setup.. connects after the cat.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
haha well i was told to just swap in a 5.0 and such...but i mean, what kinda gas mileage am i looking at with the 5.0's, 4.6?? if i could put that in? and such? like 17?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
go turbo youll be happy. you can have a 4.0 gas milage with the power on demand of a v8

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhmm the only problem we had with the turbo was it was all custom, not that it was too custom, but A) i wouldnt have a car to drive for some unknown period of time while we were fitting peices...B) never know if its gonna work...or work the way we want it to...supercharger is a proven kit. but i deffinately like the idea of turbo

do you know what the power of your turbo is?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
havent dynod it yet or tuned it haha. but its a blast to drive and its a small turbo i pulled outa the yard for 16$ spools to full boost before 2K and i just got my turbo cougar running and went cruising around today that was fun

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
cool cool, did you do all the custom work yourself? im looking for ALOT of power, is turboing gonna get that for me? like 300-350 rwhp

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
350rwhp? Call me when you explode the trans, I want pics and video.

Ranger transmissions are not made to handle that kind of power, at least not for extended periods of time. I guess if you weren't on the gas a whole lot it might last longer. The M5OD is the most "stout" transmission available for the Ranger and even it wont take that kind of abuse for any considerable length of time (some may have other opinions on this, though).

Also, you mentioned boring the 4.0L. Its one of those debatable topics, but I think .030 is about the most bore you might be able to get "safely".
Tom Morana makes a stroker kit that can turn the 4.0 into either a 4.3L or a 4.5L (I can't remember which...) That'd be the route I take for more cubes.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
cool cool, did you do all the custom work yourself? im looking for ALOT of power, is turboing gonna get that for me? like 300-350 rwhp
i built my kit wit hparts i had layin garound that totaled the build to about 150$ and it took 3 days to build. Ive just finshed turbocahrging my PI 4.6L also and drove it on a nice long drive thru seattle

Jakee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
False information.

Hi, I have an STS turbo Charged 4.0 SOHC, and did the install myself.

6 PSI max is FALSE. I'm currently running 9 PSI and I know of a bunch that has run even more than this. On a stock block, TUNED CORRECTLY, you can see 10-12 PSI for short periods of time with no problems. 8 PSI for daily driving, and 6 PSI if you feel like going slow. The trick here is the tune. You must run the right air-to-fuel and timing so the engine won't detonate. The air to fuel ratio will depend on the weight of the vehicle, but an example is my truck. 3700 LBS and I'm running around 11:5 air fuel ratio at peak load and RPM's.

However, like anything, all bets are off if you dog your truck and don't take care of it.

I have the 5R55E tranny that everyone thinks will explode. It’s doing just fine with 9 LBS of boost but tranny tuning is helping it out.

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I have an STS turbo Charged 4.0 SOHC, and did the install myself.

6 PSI max is FALSE. I'm currently running 9 PSI and I know of a bunch that has run even more than this. On a stock block, TUNED CORRECTLY, you can see 10-12 PSI for short periods of time with no problems. 8 PSI for daily driving, and 6 PSI if you feel like going slow. The trick here is the tune. You must run the right air-to-fuel and timing so the engine won't detonate. The air to fuel ratio will depend on the weight of the vehicle, but an example is my truck. 3700 LBS and I'm running around 11:5 air fuel ratio at peak load and RPM's.

However, like anything, all bets are off if you dog your truck and don't take care of it.

I have the 5R55E tranny that everyone thinks will explode. It’s doing just fine with 9 LBS of boost but tranny tuning is helping it out.
pictures

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals