• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Turbo swap fuel pump wiring

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I have an 85 t-bird turbo swapped in 93 ranger. Does anyone know if I can use Ranger fuel pump wire or run a new one from ECU to fuel pump. I’ve heard that the original Ranger wire makes the ECU run in high octane mode.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
All you have to do is go to the ECM connector and pull out the wire, that's it, it's just a fuel pump power confirming wire to the computer, I think it's orange, I just taped it over and it's just in there, been like that for like 13 years now...

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that’s what I did, but having flooding problems so I decided to change sensors, fuel regulator and plugs. Then it’s to the tps voltage adjustment.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Did you get the VAM wired right? I had one of those go out at one point and it ran like GARBAGE, had flames over the tailgate (straight back exhaust) which also got sooted up... unplugged it and was able to get home but limp mode wasn't good...

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I got Vam wired right. Check voltages and was good. KOEO no codes. I replaced ECT and gas filler neck and it runs terrible just with little black soot coming out tail pipe. Throttle response is bad. I got timing 10 BTDC. But ACT is broken off so I’m gonna replace it and see if that helps. I’m gonna do TPS adjustment after that

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
It’s a 1993 ranger with a 94 wiring harness. It took me forever to figure it out. There were small differences in them so I used the diagram on here with 88-91 ranger and just matched it for 94. Brain racking I tell you, I couldn’t see straight after that. The guy before me had a mechanic work on it cause he had wiring issue. He butchered it. So it likes starting from scratch.

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Should I run with upstream O2 sensor or just plug it off. No cats and muffler. I plan on putting a muffler thou.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm running the upstream O2 on mine, are you using the Ranger sensor or the T bird? They're technically the same other than the T bird is likely 3 wire instead of 4 wire like yours had stock, the only difference is the heater ground wire, I had to add one since mine was a '89 harness set up for a 3 wire (fun fact, if you order a sensor for a '90 you get a 4 wire, title is '90 but was built in '89 so came with 3 wire...)

Countrykev26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to bother you but I flipped my exhaust manifold and so EGR needs either an extension tube or do I block it. We don’t have smog testing here or anything like that. What would you recommend.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'd just plug it off, there's no feedback on the original turbo ECM's so they don't know. it's frowned upon but for non daily drivers...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals