• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB D35 3rd Member Removal

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
1) Question, will a D35 pig come off the beam, without having to remove all the outer knuckle parts? I have done the c-clip elim mod, have SJ long arms, and 6.5" of lift.....I'm trying to minimize the tear down process for my regear, just wondering if it is possible to weezle the D35 out of there without tearing everything down.

My other thought is to just unbolt the RA nut, the axle pivot bolt, unbolt the lower coil retaining nut and unhook the brake line and ABS line...then the whole assemble comes out as a big L shaped mass....done this a few times (of course gotta un-hook the driveline too).

2) Also, does the drivers side beam have enough strength to drive on it without the pig bolted up?

Thanks

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what brackets arms?

should drop out just popping the passenger side outer shaft out

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Its all Skyjacker brakets, coils, long arms, and James Duff coil buckets.

Also, if it matters, the pinch bolt for the pig has been modified into a D shape, to clear the RA upon removal....

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I remove the whole beam simply because I find it easier to clean, re-align bolt holes and seal back up with the entire assembly removed.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
you do NOT need to remove the knuckle, but you do need to remove the disc, caliper, and spindle, in order to remove the axleshaft. Nothing beyond that needs to be removed, other than the pinch bolt.

I dont see why it would be a problem to drive on it without the pig, although I would take it SUPER easy, and try not to drive on it if I didnt have to.

Any other questions let me know.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, you should be able to drive on it for a short period of time with it missing the chunk (be sure to seal the backside of your spindles somehow so dirt, water, road grime, etc. doesn't get all inside there with the shafts out).

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I drove on my d35 without the pig and no repercussions.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I remove the whole beam simply because I find it easier to clean, re-align bolt holes and seal back up with the entire assembly removed.
Much easier IMHO, as the you don't have to heave the D35 up there and align it with wet RTV on a creeper...

I was just wondering if its possible to remove it though without doing any tear down.

If I tore down the drivers side, seems like I would still not be able to get the D35 out without tearing down the passenger side as well.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
correct, even with an e clip eliminator, you have to remove the shafts to pull the pig out. As far as the RTV, I just clean up the pig and beam, and slather the BEAM with rtv, then throw the pig up there. The chunk that slides in for the pinch bolt lines it up perfect, and then I just bolt it up from the front. And the weight of that little piggy is negligible :D I found it more of a hassle to remove the whole beam, and try to align it back up with the rad arm, than just the pig IMO.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
correct, even with an e clip eliminator, you have to remove the shafts to pull the pig out. As far as the RTV, I just clean up the pig and beam, and slather the BEAM with rtv, then throw the pig up there. The chunk that slides in for the pinch bolt lines it up perfect, and then I just bolt it up from the front. And the weight of that little piggy is negligible :D I found it more of a hassle to remove the whole beam, and try to align it back up with the rad arm, than just the pig IMO.
I might try your method then, and try and only disassemble the passenger side hub down to the knuckle, that way I can put it right back together and drive on it the next day. Just means I'll be doing the work twice :icon_twisted:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've got a spare D35 chunk and an open carrier if you want it. i have no plans for it and it's just taking up space. if you wanna work something out, shoot me a pm.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i've got a spare D35 chunk and an open carrier if you want it. i have no plans for it and it's just taking up space. if you wanna work something out, shoot me a pm.
Pm'ed you bro.

Looking at my schedule and I might tear it down thurs night if I don't go wheeling this weekend...otherwise I might tear it down Sunday night, and take it up to get re-geared next week :headbang: Drive on it to work and school w/o the 3rd for a few days....maybe less than 100 miles of freeway? :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals