• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truth about the Air Force

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
im looking into the air force again, i know we have few enlisted people on here, i want to know the goods and bads about enlisting. Truth about life in the service and living on base and using there health care. Im looking at going in for vehicle operations, but still open to options. Any opinions and comments are appreciated.

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
my best friend has been in for three years now and he said it was the best decision he ever made. he is stationed in italy lovin life. i was going to join but my health wasnt to good at that time.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's like the blind men and the elephant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

It'll be different for whoever experiences it. It's the chairforce, though. When I enlisted 25 years ago, the Air Force wasn't hiring. If you can get in there, do it. Otherwise you'll be humping a pack and praying that some shitheel with a bomb buried under the road doesn't blow your ****ing legs off.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I didn't care for it. I met plenty of great people, some of whom I still keep in touch with, but that will happen no matter where you go as long as your outlook is in the right frame of mind.

I wouldn't do it again, but I did get the GI Bill out of it, and that's making college a breeze. Unlike most of the people in my classes around me, I don't have to worry about keeping my hours at my job ON TOP OF getting my study hours in on my assignments. However, I've become slightly lazy on that type of stuff anyways.

To me, the AF focused too much on your appearance instead of making sure your job performance and technical ability to really show who you were and how you mattered to them.

For example, my last job while serving was a trailer maintenance (MHU-141, 110, and 226) as well as trailer towing (MHU-204 was fun!) with live munitions, but many people instead chose to hark on the fact that I still wore BDU's instead of switching over to the ABU's. I also kept my hair near the longest allowable limits, rather than keeping it right next to skin length. I also grew tiresome of the increased focus on procedural methods from the books, rather than applying "tricks of the trade" and helpful knowledge to all of our day to day routines.

There is no more detailed way to beat a dead horse than what you'll find in an Air Force Technical Order (AFTO).

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree 100% with Will, if you are one of the lucky skinny types JOIN 'cause it won't be too long from now and they will be down right picky and the incentives will dry up too as the draw down looms.I needed health benifits for my mom so I ended up in the ARMY running behind a DUECE barking like a dog, pulling PCM CABLE and climbing phone poles-LOL ,enlisted at 213lbs finished AIT 164lbs =49lbs in 16 weeks and eating EVERYTHING in reach.But I digress,JOIN ! you will meet some GREAT people and see some cool stuff and even if you only do 1 hitch your ejamakashun is paid for and if you take ROTC in college .like I did , your prior service pays off again! good luck and AIM HIGH!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I mean, before I hot out the first time, tricare ****ed me real bad. I got into a car accident, took an ambulance and got left with a 6501.xx bill. I got tricare to pay 3k of that and they say my deductible is the rest. Bullshit. You won't have that happen to you if you do on base hospitals. It was an emergency and I was in MA. **** it, right...

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That's how it was in the army anyways. Good luck with the air force, least you'll be safe. On big fobs when deployed. I say safe because compared to the ones on the ground, you are.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Like every other branch, it is what you make of it. I was voice switching systems for 6 yrs in the AF. If you want to be good at your job and know the in's and out's of it then AF. If you want to cut corners on a daily basis then join the Army. I wanted to progress in my career and be good at my job. Another to consider is if you can test well. To make rank in the AF, you have to be able to test well.

I am not calling you out ijh.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It is a good choice. My dad put 33 1/2 years in as a pilot. He loved the AF. he only thing I will say it...whenever you go anyplace new they assign you and they give you your medical records...make copies ASAP. This will help you out in the future. Any injuries or surgery you had you will have proof of it. I made copies of all my stuff they gave me. The only thing I regret was not having the originals that showed any other injuries I received. The VA said they have no records to show for some of my injuries. The ones I do have copies of was a life saver. I receive more benefits because I made those copies. I retired, but the VA is not the best for helping much without any records. So watch for this, Bro. Make copies of everything (orders as well) you get just to cover your butt!!!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Marines

Army

Air Force

Navy

(least to greatest life expectancy and overall care of the soldier's well-being)

need any more info???????????????????

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Marines

Army

Air Force

Navy

(least to greatest life expectancy and overall care of the soldier's well-being)

need any more info???????????????????
Yeah how do i get over being sea sick so i can join the Navy :thefinger:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hoosier, you're fine. I agree with you anyways.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I mean, before I hot out the first time, tricare ****ed me real bad. I got into a car accident, took an ambulance and got left with a 6501.xx bill. I got tricare to pay 3k of that and they say my deductible is the rest. Bullshit. You won't have that happen to you if you do on base hospitals. It was an emergency and I was in MA. **** it, right...
You spend an inordinate amount of time complaining about the events in your life and how they've screwed you over. The one thing that all these events have in common is you. Perhaps it's time to look in the mirror and re-evaluate when it's time to put the blame on yourself vs others. Life isn't out to get you. Deal with what comes at you and move on, instead of blaming everyone else for your problems.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just thought I'd chime in. While i've never served myself my work territory surrounds one of the biggest AF bases on the east coast so 1/4 of my customers are active duty. And another 1/4 spent their life in the AF and retired here. All but maybe four people i've talked to said they'd do it again in a heartbeat.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
^I second what he said. I would do it again in a heart beat but go back as an officer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals