• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck stuck at work

ranger1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
96 Ford Ranger, 5sp, 2.3L:

Yesterday I drove my truck to work and when I arrived I noticed it started to get difficult to get the truck into gear. I parked and went in to work. Upon leaving 9 hours later, the trucked started up as usual but the clutch pedal was very spongy and basically had no pressure. Checked the reservoir and it had fluid in it, no leaks anywhere on the truck, linkage looks ok. A year or so ago I replaced a leaking slave cylinder and clutch. Have been driving it everyday since with no issues. Would this indicate the master cylinder? Can it fail without having a leak? Is it possible to have introduced air into the system?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
it could be your master cylinder, before doing anything else I would check to make sure the diaphragm under the master cylinder reservoir cap is not sucked down in and separating fluid from getting through the system, I've had it happen on a f250 and a few other's

ranger1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks I'll check it out as soon as I can get through all the snow.

ranger1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no luck

Figured it wouldn't be that easy but thanks for the suggestion. Slave cylinder covered in fluid and the clutch won't disengage. Looks like a new slave cylinder and clutch again. Just changed them about two years ago.

ranger1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fixed..........mostly

Slave cylinder did the trick, went OEM this time hopefully will get more mileage out of it. However, gears seem a little stiff at times when shifting on the fly or parked and pedal still seems a little soft. Thinking I might need to bleed it again? Slave cylinder looks like it is traveling quite a bit with the pedal movement and clutch/pressure plate is only about two or three years old and didn't look worn.

Thoughts?

ranger1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Resolved

Removed the master cylinder and bench bled like perfection suggested in the sticky post at the start of this forum. Re-installed cylinder and bled the system like the haynes manual stated. Seems like I have good pedal now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals