• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck stalls at idle

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
While driving in town today I had my '89 2.3l 5 speed repeatedly die on me. After noticing that it hapenned with clutch out and while either slowing down or stopping I decided to monitor the tachometer during those periods. I found that it would start out at about 1700rpm and then as I depressed the clutch it would rapidly drop to 500rpm and then slowly drop down too 250rpm and die. I could then depress the clutch again and crank the engine and it would start right back up but only idle at 600-700rpm with the needle jittering about, which is not normal for this truck. If I rev the engine up to aroung 2800rpm before I slow down she won't stall but will idle at 400-500rpm. I haven't done anything to the truck recently and she just started having this problem a few hours ago. Any help would be much appreciated as I don't have the time or resources to replace anything but what absolutely needs to be replaced.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Get a can of carb cleaner and clean out the little metal cylinder on the air box.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Just got back from running her a little and what do you know, not a single symptom:icon_confused: idled nice at 900-1200rpm, accelerated, deccelerated and stopped as if she just rolled off the factory floor.

I'll defienitly try any solutions you guys (and girls) can come up with, as starting with tommorrow I'll have nothing to do for two whole days.

Anything anyone can think of that would cause an intermittent problem?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IAC getting stuck. Clean it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals