• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tricks to fender cutting

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now before i get the usual try the search function i already have and i have also checked the tech library for some tips.

I am wanting to trim my fenders for a couple of reasons

1. To get rid of the rust that is starting in the rear
2. To have a little extra room for tires (since im about ready for mew tires and i want 33's)

So what are some of the little tricks that some of you guys have done to make your fenders look good when trimmed? I am just wanting to do all the research i can before i go to cutting.

Thanks in advance,

-Lucas

appletonbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Mine has rusted out around the top of the wheel arch in the back. I'm gonna use my 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel to do it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
see that is my main reason for doing it I will probably do mine with my air cut off wheel but I might get an air saw I just don't know yet.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The way I did mine and jay'94's fenders was cut at the top of the fender flare, but since you don't have any on the gen 1/2's, I would take a role of 2" masking tape and follow the wheel well you have now, and curve it a little more out on the lower portions of the fender. Using tape allows you to step back and see if you like the new lines. If not, just reposition the tape til you are happy, then cut away. I have used both the sawzall and 4.5 grinder with cutoff wheel. I prefer the sawzall as its easier to keep the lines smooth. I highly suggest the pacer fender flares when you get done. They look great on rangers, really finishes off the fenders and sets them off :icon_thumby:

SVT

appletonbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The way I did mine and jay'94's fenders was cut at the top of the fender flare, but since you don't have any on the gen 1/2's, I would take a role of 2" masking tape and follow the wheel well you have now, and curve it a little more out on the lower portions of the fender. Using tape allows you to step back and see if you like the new lines. If not, just reposition the tape til you are happy, then cut away. I have used both the sawzall and 4.5 grinder with cutoff wheel. I prefer the sawzall as its easier to keep the lines smooth. I highly suggest the pacer fender flares when you get done. They look great on rangers, really finishes off the fenders and sets them off :icon_thumby:

SVT
Good idea, using masking tape. I got serious rust issues on the bottom of my tailgate too but I think I have an idea for that.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I did my rears using the tape/sawsall method......

then I used 5/8 fuel line (split one side and I used windshield urethane to glue it on)

You can see the fuel line in the last pic...

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cut to the dimension you want then take a 4.5in grinder with a cut wheel and make a 1/4in long cuts up the fender every 1/2in to 1in and bend the edge of the fender up. Then bedline

Best pic I have with bedliner on fenders

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
making all the cuts isn't completely necessary, but helps round corners, I used the angle grinder with cutting wheel method on mine and the only relief cut I made was bottom corners.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the tips guys. I am hoping to get on this here in the next few days but with finals going on this week this is the first time i have been on TRS since I posted this thread lol.

Ben my plan is to cut them and i am going to put bed liner down the sides as a rock guard ( I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks its a good idea).

Like I said i may try and cut them on Thursday since I will be done with my finals on Wednesday :yahoo: and I can say :thefinger: to school for the summer.

But I really appreciate the input

Lucas

Last edited:

schaffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Carful using the fuel line truck. That shit holds
Water which breeds rust.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i used masking tape and a 3" air cutoff, do it slow.. let the tool do the work (as always)
i didn't actually do the fender opening tho.

here's what i did.

turning into this w/ a little vacuum line split and covered the cut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah 4.0 I had saw that a while back when reading your build thread. I just wish I could have a build thread that was interesting lol. But to do that it takes money and that is something that I just don't have a lot of right now.

I am going to try and cut them here in the next few days, I am in the process of building a custom center console so that took a lot of my time today. I hope to get it buttoned up in the next couple of days so i can start hacking.

I haven't totally decided what I want to use to cut them yet I may just get some good sawzall blades and cut them that way but, I have always been partial to a 3" cut off wheel for body work. I guess it will all boil down to what i have available.

Lucas

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so you're doing trimmed fenders... custom center console... and 8.8 w/ HIDs and in the works of a d35 rebuild, yet you don't think you can have an interesting build thread? really...? lol

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so you're doing trimmed fenders... custom center console... and 8.8 w/ HIDs and in the works of a d35 rebuild, yet you don't think you can have an interesting build thread? really...? lol
^^^^^this! unless everything you do is a complete hack job, i think this would make for a pretty good build thread. sure it may not be very long, but if you take your time and do good work, it could help to provide info and provide inspiration for others! i say go for it!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^^^this! unless everything you do is a complete hack job, i think this would make for a pretty good build thread. sure it may not be very long, but if you take your time and do good work, it could help to provide info and provide inspiration for others! i say go for it!
I got one but its more of a mall cruiser to a lot of guys and I'm bad about not taking pictures lol.

I might not be the greatest fabricator on here but i do good for what i do, i got to get my bumper build pics on here.

I do quality mechanic work and stuff my old man has over 30 years of experience and runs his own shop. I went to auto diesel college and didnt learn a thing so he must have taught me right. Then I decided that i didnt want to be a mechanic the rest of my life so here I am now in College and in debt again to be an Engineer but they say to do something you love and you will enjoy work and i love what im doin now

Lucas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals