• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trashed block?

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
so this rebuild has me questioning the usability of the block,apparently it is 30 thousands over.i am getting mixed feedback from personal friends,none of which know this motor like i would assume some of you know this motor.i was planning to throw a mild cam and deck the head to run on 91 pump.is it safe to continue the build on the block since its been bored out so much already?im being told that if i have it bored out another 30 that i wont be able to run increased compression without overheating

i spend my time learning about suspension.....not motors,i am regretting this now.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the bore looks reasonable now, don't know if I would worry about boring it again, just hone it, I didn't on mine and it runs fine... just make sure you have pistons that are for the right bore...

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
more over bore more heat, the same with compression increase more heat (BTU'S) also some cam profiles can help or hurt a heating problem, if need be you could do a clean up bore to 40 over, but your going to need to upgrade your cooling system to a mulit core radiator and a high capcity water pump, and if you need to get a larger radiator be sure you use a fan shroud that is set up correctly, also a well tuned engine with a correct air fuel ratio will run cooler,

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Most 2.3s running NA are safe to .040 overbore. After that I have seen significant overheating problems. I raced 2.3s on dirt ovals for years.

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
i was just told that is has a gouge in a cylinder,that of which we would be lucky if it cleaned out by taking another 30 out of it.
so with that being said,i am going to trash the original block.
thankyou for the replies!!!

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Yea, probably a good idea. But look at it. If its a daily driver, .060 wouldn't hurt it. If you plan on running it flat out a lot, don't even bother if it can't be fixed at .040.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
You could have it sleeved, in my area blocks are cheap and plentiful

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
You could have it sleeved, in my area blocks are cheap and plentiful

this is exactly what im doing now,i dont know why i had such a dumb moment and thought i had to find another block -_- discount cylinder heads is going to re sleeve the whole thing for 180 bucks,hes also doing the crank and the head.and now that there is more metal in between cylinders and im going back to an OEM sized piston i think i can get away with decking the head for a weeeee bit more power =]

for a daily driver running shitty california 91 think i should even do it?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Yes, shave .100"-.125". You won't regret it. Make sure to do a good job of torqueing the head bolts properly though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals