• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmissions: New fluid & filter or flush?

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Now I need a to do some trans maintenance. Really bad. I know some shops (well most of them) off a trans flush where they blow new, clean fluid through the trans which displaces the old stuff. Now is it worth it more to do that, or to drop the trans pan, drain the fluid, and replace the filter?

The thing is, is that I only have the scratch to do one or the other, and one of them needs to be done w/ a quickness. They both cost pretty close to the same amount (flush: $125 for a shop to do it, new filter and fluid: $130 for a shop to do it, $60 for me to do it).

My last question is this; is the new filter and fluid something the average do-it-yourselfer can do with simple hand tools, or is it better left to the shop. I haven't looked for any DIYs yet, which is something i need to do, because i dont want to screw anything up.

Thanks
Josh

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
But doesnt it just shove whatever crap is in there back into the filter?

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
no one else has input?

shane83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would change the fluid anf filter. They have a changable filter for a reason. Think of it like an engine, would you flush your engine oil, or change the oil and filter?

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I recommend it being taken to a shop. I wouldn't take it to a commercially branded shop where all they care about is the corporate bottom line, but take it to a place that has established mechanics that know what they're talking about. Remember they may not be on a prime piece of real estate but they know how to do the work right. You may just be shocked how much advanced equipment some of those shops have.

mjchris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it really depends on for what purpose you are wanting to do this if its part of regular maint. do the fluid and filter change but if its been a long time do the flush because if your tranny is the a4ld your only gonna get about 4 quarts out with the fluid and filter change so thats gonna save you cash the filter and gasket is only like $16.00 at advance auto parts and fluid is like 3 bucks a quart buy it by the gallon it's cheaper

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
it really depends on for what purpose you are wanting to do this if its part of regular maint. do the fluid and filter change but if its been a long time do the flush because if your tranny is the a4ld your only gonna get about 4 quarts out with the fluid and filter change so thats gonna save you cash the filter and gasket is only like $16.00 at advance auto parts and fluid is like 3 bucks a quart buy it by the gallon it's cheaper
What?

Im pretty sure it hasnt been done in a while

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not into flushes because A) I can't do it myself B) I dont trust anyone else to do it and C) you still need to change the filter.

At 57,000 i've changed the fluid and filter twice in my truck. Seems to do just fine.

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
sweet. Thats what im gonna do, prob tomorrow then

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't ever do a flush because it doesn't help the filter any, you need to change the filter... I usually just drop the pan, replace the filter and the fluid in the pan... If, when you drop the pan the fluid is really dark you should do it again quite soon...

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Welp, i did the trans filter today. It rreeallyy needed it, the fluid was a dark redish black. It prob hadnt been changed in the 70k its got on the ticker. It drives a whole helluva lot smoother now :)

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ford specs are trans flush at 50,000kms and trans flush and filter replacement at 100,000kms.

On my own vehicles I always do both, start off with the flush, drain the pan, drop it and change the filter and top up the tranny again. You get all the fluid out of it and then you get a clean filter. Of course all it costs me is the price of the fluid and filter because the dealership I work at has a flush machine.

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Ford specs are trans flush at 50,000kms and trans flush and filter replacement at 100,000kms.

On my own vehicles I always do both, start off with the flush, drain the pan, drop it and change the filter and top up the tranny again. You get all the fluid out of it and then you get a clean filter. Of course all it costs me is the price of the fluid and filter because the dealership I work at has a flush machine.
lemme borrow it :)

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Alright, but you gotta drive up here to BC and get it :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals