• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission...

chep

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 Ford Ranger with a recent remanufactured engine and clutch installation.

Now it seems as if I am having another problem with either the clutch or the transmission.

There was a spongy noise when I disengaged the clutch pedal a few times but that went away and came back one more time. I thought I was having some hydraulic issues. It was difficult to shift into 4th gear and then later down into lower gears. Progressively this worsened as I was giong home today.. I took it to a shop and suggested a bleed of the hydraulic line in a questioning manner. They got back to me and told me that it is a bad transmission. I have no idea how many miles this tranny has on it. probably over 100k or possibly even 390k.. whatever.

Anyway they offered up for 900 bucks a used tranny with what they say has 100k miles. How the hell am I supposed to believe that? Then suggested the cost to install it was 400 bucks.

What is your opinion from behind your computer :icon_twisted: ?

If you had to get a tranny would you go with a brand new one? or get a junk yard special? How much do either usually go for?

Thanks- BTW I know nothing about cars

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I found my used replacement on Craigslist for $200 and put it in myself. It was 7 years newer and 'looked' clean so I took a gamble.
A local builder wants $650 for a guaranteed rebuild. $400 is in the ballpark for an install if you can afford it. My $0.02

bII1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got 5spds from junkyards before and never had a problem. Just make sure it goes into each gear and doesn't have much slop. Putting a 5spd in is very easy, even for someone who hasn't done it before. A cheap set of tools from Walmart and a manual will work. You may have to cut your exhaust pipes, but it's a cheap job to have them welded at your local muffler shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals