• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission will not separate from Engine. Need Help!

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the m5od on a 3.0 v6. I have all the engine bolts out, everything disconnected, the starter is out and the crossmember out. The tranny dropped down but its pulling the engine with it and no matter what I do it will not separate. I cant find anywhere good to pry at it either. Ive been violently shaking it too and even letting the tranny hang down by itself without the jack its just bringing the engine with it. I am at a complete loss right now. Any suggestions? At this point im tempted to hook a tow rope to it and yank it with another truck Im so frustrated.

Last edited:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its normal for it to be a tough pull, it was on my s10, my 2.3, and a few other projects I have done a clutch on. It's probably a very tight fit on the pilot bering. And it's honestly just a battle of strength. Move it side to side while pulling back. The motor tilting back is normal from my experience because the mount is set up like a triangle so loosing a mount will let it all tilt.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Make 100% sure you have all the bolts out. With the starter out there is nothing but bell bolts and corrosion to hold the two together.

Once you are 100% sure you have all the bolts, get a small pry bar or a very large screw driver up into the starter hole and carefully, without prying against the flywheel, pry the trans away from the engine. If you can get it started just a bit it comes much easier.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On the Chevy I did there were a few small indents on the bell housing that let us get a screwdriver in there. Once the screwdriver couldn't do anymore we used the back end of the tire iron from my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well Im an idiot. It was the two bellhousing bolts that face the opposite direction that I missed. I wasnt even aware of these before I posted this thread. The transmission is out now with some....'gentle persuasion'. Thanks for the help guys.

As you can see my transmission is beyond FUBAR. Those three rubber plugs failed and the previous owner never even noticed or cared. As you can see compared to the Tcase this thing is soakeddd. This transmission suffered from lack of fluid. All the gears are gone. Time to pick up a new one. :D

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to pull my 3.0 out without taking the 4r44e out with it (4spd auto). The tranny is still all bolted up in place, but I have the motor completely torn down to just the block. I've got all of the bolts out that connect at the bell housing as well. I know it is different from the manual tranny, but not sure how much difference it makes. Am I good to just hook up the cherry picker, disconnect the motor mounts and pull away from the tranny?

Or is there something else I should do first?

Just trying to avoid damaging anything I do not need to.

**EDIT** Just pulled it with the TC still on. Minus the water pump and radiator, there seemed to be plenty of room to walk the engine back from the tranny. I had it supported by my cherry picker with another jack under the tranny.

It looks lik eit is in perfect condition, but is there any way to check if it has been damaged?

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to pull my 3.0 out without taking the 4r44e out with it (4spd auto). The tranny is still all bolted up in place, but I have the motor completely torn down to just the block. I've got all of the bolts out that connect at the bell housing as well. I know it is different from the manual tranny, but not sure how much difference it makes. Am I good to just hook up the cherry picker, disconnect the motor mounts and pull away from the tranny?

Or is there something else I should do first?

Just trying to avoid damaging anything I do not need to.
You need to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate before lifting the engine out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would also help to support the front of that transmission.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My bad, had the page left up from last night and didn't see the responses. I agree taking the TC off would have been the better option, however I already had all of the bell bolts and starter and stuff taken off. As I said in my edit above, I actually supported the engine with the cherry picker and just backed it away from the tranny. There was quite a bit of room and when the TC finally came off the shaft, there wasn't much of a shift at all which leads me to think I had the whole setup pretty level.. So I am hoping.

Any things I can check for with the torque converter out that may be indicative of damage? It looks prettty mint, but I realize that the important stuff is on the inside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals