• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission swap.

Kblack

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 explorer, the entire transmission housing cracked. I’m looking for a a good option to swap in. This is a rock crawler build. I need something that will be strong. Not worried about freeway driving, it will typically be towed to where I’m going.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since you don't need Overdrive you may want to look at a C5, 3-speed with torque converter lockup, but not controlled by computer
It was used on/with the 2.8l engine in 4x4 Rangers, 2.8l/2.9l and 4.0l used same bell housing patterns

But 2.9ls/4.0ls all got the A4LD thru 1994

But there is a length issue in that A4LD and C5 are different lengths, same transfer case can be used but drive lines may need to be changed

Your current computer would turn on the CEL because the 2 A4LD trans solenoids are missing

The A4LD is not a bad automatic, most of the internals were used 1986 thru 2011 in Rangers and Explorers
Article here on A4LD with some tips: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

And there are several other A4LD "rebuild diaries" where people have used 5R parts that are more heavy duty like the OD drum since it was used more in the 5R for 2nd gear

Last edited:

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
NP435 has been done, it would be my choice for something that will be beat on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals