• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission swap

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
fOk here is the deal, I am getting sick of shifting all the time. Id like to convert from my 5 speed manual to an automatic. I cant find much information on doing this. All of the threads I have found are the same, somebody says, "youll need a transmission and shifter." Well I pretty much understand the basics. I know I need a 3.0L transmission, pcm, and harness. What Im not sure about though is the harness. Is the transmission harness seperate from the engine harness or are they the same?

Here is my basic list so far:

Trans and converter
PCM and harness
Column (unless I went with a floor shifter)
Radiator or aftermarket trans cooler
Driveshaft???
Starter???
Flexplate

I know Im missing a few things like the floor cover plate, and pedal assembaly but Im mostly interested in what Ill need to get it driving.If anybody in the southeast wants to convert from an auto to 5 speed let me know.

Now here is another thing I am considering, if I am going to bedoing all of this work it seems like there are only a few more things involved to swap engines as well. My idea for a donor is an Explorer. Something close to the same year as my truck. I cant find alot of info on the 4.0 swap either though. Basically I want to make this as easy on the wallet as possible, but Im not going to do a hack job either. Id like to make this look and perform like it came from the factory. I really would prefer to just swap the transmission though.

I just had another thought, how would the PATS be affected by this?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals