• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission hissing when down shifting

robmedina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok 2 things. 1st- when I drive long hwy distance- my transmission makes a hissing noice (rather a long hissssssssss) when I down shift from 5th to 4th (as I am slowing down) Sometimes it will do it downshifting from 4th to 3rd also. Any idea what that could be?
Truck info: 1997 ford ranger XLT, 2.3L 5 speed 2 wd.

2nd thing. I just changed my tranny fluid (Mercon V) I did not over fill it. But now when the truck does the above (hissss on downshifts) I smell the tranny fluid in the air, hich soon didpates, but for that brief second or two it almost smells like cat piss.
Any thought???
Much appreciate the help!
Rob

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard that Mercon V will cause problems in the manual trans. Regular Mercon rated fluid work best.

Other than that the seal above the shifter bushings could be broken.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
ok 2 things. 1st- when I drive long hwy distance- my transmission makes a hissing noice (rather a long hissssssssss) when I down shift from 5th to 4th (as I am slowing down) Sometimes it will do it downshifting from 4th to 3rd also. Any idea what that could be?
Truck info: 1997 ford ranger XLT, 2.3L 5 speed 2 wd.

2nd thing. I just changed my tranny fluid (Mercon V) I did not over fill it. But now when the truck does the above (hissss on downshifts) I smell the tranny fluid in the air, hich soon didpates, but for that brief second or two it almost smells like cat piss.
Any thought???
Much appreciate the help!
Rob
Sounds like a breathing issue (vent). Cat piss does not really smell bad...you mean cat spray I'm sure That is a great smell....lol. Did you just change it or did you flush it (run fluid through it for awhile)? The trans needs to be flushed (cleaned out) and not just changed. Like automatic trans have a torque converter and that needs to be drained as well with the flushing. Since you have a standard I would really just clean the whole transmission. That might help.

robmedina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard that Mercon V will cause problems in the manual trans. Regular Mercon rated fluid work best.

Other than that the seal above the shifter bushings could be broken.
I read somewhere that Mercon V is better- yadda yadda- and when I looked in the manual it said mercon v as well. I (admittedly bought a cheap- so I think anyway- version of the Mercon V) maybe that is my problem. I bought autozone mercon V instead of say- valvoline etc.

Seal above shifter boot? I will have to research that- it is very possible. I did replace the shifter bushing a few months ago.

It is just weird.

@Straycat- vent? would that hiss when the stick gets moved during downshifting?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals