• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case 4wd question?.

buzz88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok , looking to buy a 90 b2 auto, with a rebuilt 2.9 v6, out of a ranger, after the engine swap apparently the manual 4x4 transfer case in 2wd it is actually in 4wd and you you have to shift into 4 wd low to get it bak in 2wd. Is this a major issue or easy fix, the seller hasn't fixed it but says it works fine just happened after the engine swap? Before I buy want to see if anyone has heard of this problem and if it is a red flag not to buy the b2, thanks for any input,,

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clarify...manual gear selector on the transfer case or is it electric-select which I believe all automatic trannys have? If electric, it sounds like the installer got the wires crossed down on the transfer case.

buzz88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It is a 90 eb i think automatic trans but with a manual shift for the 4x4, with manual locking hubs, not push button auto locking, I saw a pic and had the the man trans case for the 4wd on the floor???

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't think it's to hard to fix. Worst case is your replace the entire 1350 transfer case. They aren't to hard to find or costly.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He disturbed the shift linkage and got it put back together wrong. It's not hard to fix, you just have to unhook the shifter and then move the pawl to 2 hi or 4 low and then put it back together while a friend holds the shifter still in that position.

Clarify...manual gear selector on the transfer case or is it electric-select which I believe all automatic trannys have? If electric, it sounds like the installer got the wires crossed down on the transfer case.
Actually, in my experience it is far more common on the 2nd gen B2s and 1st gen Explorers to find auto trans and manual t-case, or manual trans, and e-shift t-case, but both being one or the other is somewhat less common than a combination.

buzz88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
thanks - sounds like an easy fix, this is on a truck i am considering buying without seeing it first so wanted to make sure it wasn't possibly a major fix, I guess anything could turn major but figure it was something simple they missed when they swapped the engineS!!

R anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
manual shift transfer case

I have the same problem, the stick is all the way forward which is supposed to be 2 high but it is in 4 high. When in 4 high it is in neutral. Glad to read that it could be an easy fix, I need to start driving it soon and need 2WD.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In both cases I'm almost 100% sure that's the problem. Someone just got it adjusted wrong. That's what I did when I did my trans swap. The shifter knob moved on me and I couldn't get it out of 4 hi until I adjusted it.

R anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
transfer case linkage

Fixed the linkage and it was a very is fix. There is a bolt near the linkage that when loosened allows movement of the track. All I did was loosen the bolt, move the track forward and then tighten the bolt. Thats all! The reason why you are able to get it back into 2 wheel after dropping it in to 4 wheel low is because that bolt is loose.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What you are supposed to do to adjust is oosen the adjuster bolt AND the bog bolt and run the lever fully forward.

Then move the "gate" slowly back until it DOESN'T contact the lever when in 2wd-Hi
then tighten both bolts (little one first) that's all there is to it.

But I've had to explain it to Ford Dealer mechanics.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals