• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trailer?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
3,000lbs is pretty substantial in and of itself...i wouldnt think it'd have much problem holding itself down.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would a trailer with some weight in it be more likely to stay behind the truck rather than get pushed around though? Just a thought, I have only pulled flatbeds so I don't really have any experiance with a enclosed trailer.
I don't think so. A trailer that has a big square frontal surface area is gunna pull a little truck like a ranger all over the road. Adding more weight would compound the problem. A ranger is very capable of pulling a lot of weight(I've pulled 7500# up a hill with mine) but it is too light of a vehicle to SAFELY pull something that size, if that trailer started to go there would nothing that would stop it. Well except maybe the guardrail.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
3,000lbs is pretty substantial in and of itself...i wouldnt think it'd have much problem holding itself down.

True but once its starts to go thats it no stopping it. With a f250 and a trailer that size i have felt crosswinds, or when a semi passes you it can be felt, sometimes it even pulls the whole unit(truck and trailer) one way or the other. Thats a 3/4 tonne pickup. Imagine a little ranger

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im not denying that the ranger is light...i just meant that adding weight to a trailer that is already that heavy wouldnt help anything.

if it was a big, enclosed trailer that only weighed 1,200lbs then adding weight might help keep everything in track. i know my little enclosed trailer tows like crap empty. partially due to it stiff springs (it bounces all over, i usually air the tires down to 10PSI if i have to tow it empty for any distance), but also because it looses track if you breath on it wrong.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im not denying that the ranger is light...i just meant that adding weight to a trailer that is already that heavy wouldnt help anything.

if it was a big, enclosed trailer that only weighed 1,200lbs then adding weight might help keep everything in track. i know my little enclosed trailer tows like crap empty. partially due to it stiff springs (it bounces all over, i usually air the tires down to 10PSI if i have to tow it empty for any distance), but also because it looses track if you breath on it wrong.

Guess I misunderstood your post lol whoops my bad:icon_cheers:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya communicating over the 'net does that sometimes.

no prob.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The only way weight would help is if it kept you from reaching highway speeds.

With a trailer like that and a Ranger you need something like this.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, his ranger is gonna be on 1 tons and 38's, so he's gonna knock down the same amount of wind as a fullsize. I would stick to a newer trailer (95+) just for the fact they are built a lot lighter and stick to a 20' or smaller. With the lift, a fifth wheel is also outta the question.

-andrew

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, his ranger is gonna be on 1 tons and 38's, so he's gonna knock down the same amount of wind as a fullsize. I would stick to a newer trailer (95+) just for the fact they are built a lot lighter and stick to a 20' or smaller. With the lift, a fifth wheel is also outta the question.

-andrew

A lift?? and 38's?? that make it more dangerous. Higher COG means the trailer starts to go... the truck rolls... and it has been said and I agree the weight is not the issue. best bet for towing with a ranger is a pop-up
of some sort. something that the truck can act as a wind deflector for

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Note, I said 1 tons and 38's. Being on full width's will help his stability problem. Ever watched a semi tow 3 30's (trucker will no actual length...I'm just guessing) instead of 2 53's? When you tow something small and block all wind goin to it, it bounces around all over the place and tow's rougher than a larger trailer. I still suggest a fullsize trailer, just a smaller one like an 17 or 18', maybe even one with popout beds to lower the weight more.

-andrew

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im less concerned about the CG issue with those 38's than i am the braking issue. a 38" shoe gives the road an awful lot of leverage to use against your brakes and stopping distances will be long.

for some reason, my brain only read the first line in his sig and i didnt notice the 38" tires until 07ranger said something...i might change my vote to dont tow with this truck...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have to agree. The truck is going to be dogging to move as it is, put a trailer that is over half the rated weight on it, it will be dangerous.

Imagine how much taller the truck will be than the trailer.

How many 1 tons do you see with 38's towing 40' trailers? That is about the same as what is wanting to be done.

To each their own.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn't planning on pulling it with my rig. I was talking about towing it with a friends '95 which is almost entirely stock.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ahh, then your back in the game :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals